motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating

Old 08-31-2014, 07:28 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default About Duell

So I am pretty sure I am going to be perma-banned on NAM after a thread started about this but, I thought maybe you guys over here would be way more interested in it or at least more understanding.

During MTTS this year I got spend some time with Vince from GT Concepts out of Redwood, California who happens to be the American distributor of Duell. He brought up some pretty cool info about an engine that Duell is working on for the N14/N18. They are currently building a race application motor for the 25hr of Thunderhill which they are going to display at SEMA this year and also with the intent of releasing it to the public as a reliable high horsepower street application. Their goal is to get the price to somewhere are $5-6k which would be inline with buying an engine from MINI. Hopefully everything works out and they can release this product.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:07 PM
μ

Send a message via MSN to Captain Claw

That would be cool but you also have to consider shipping from japan which would probe be another 1k or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that7guy View Post
I have a strong dislike for small humans
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Luckily this product is being made here in the US up in San Fran to be specific. I should have specified it was being made by their US distributor.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:55 AM
μ

now that sounds promising!

Quote:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM
μ

for everyone interested, the n18 is the way to go. I'm a mini tech at mini of nashville and n18 are better all round. Better fuel system,no carbon build up etc.

Quote:
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

They are also working on one for the n18 but, they started with n14 first because their product car(no sure if that is the right term) is a 2010 with the n14. Shortly after the n14 build they should be coming out with a n18 version which yes should be better but, the carbon build up problem is no completely ruled out yet. If no one has any issues in the next year to two then yeah it doesn't have that problem. The only thing that I really think that makes the n18 way better is the fact that it is double Vanos. That right there opens up a lot for the tuning world but, I digress.

Thanks for being a lot more understanding. The guys on NAM are being a bunch of wankers about it to the point where I am no longer going to feed that thread. I forgot to add that Duell is going to try and keep the price of this kit in the $5-6k area. Which is roughly the cost of a new engine from MINI. So that gives people another option.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 PM
μ

yeah nam is full of uneducated forum readers lol. do you know any specific details about this engine? stronger pistons?come with big valve head? hp projections?

I currently have a n14 with a different turbo and oem head/cams. I'm pushing a little over 230 to the wheels at 20/21psi.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Interesting that DuelL USA is making the engine and not Japan. Everything usually comes from Japan and comes with a heavy shipping fee so I'm surprised they have the guys to get this done.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Claw View Post
yeah nam is full of uneducated forum readers lol. do you know any specific details about this engine? stronger pistons?come with big valve head? hp projections?

I currently have a n14 with a different turbo and oem head/cams. I'm pushing a little over 230 to the wheels at 20/21psi.
It is going to have a fully ported and polished head. Vince at GT Concept was informing me that the valves in the head are from another car that fit(the material I am about to say good be wrong because I forgot) and he mentioned that they were going be titanium. As far the internals yes the are going to be forged and a lot stronger and lighter. If I remember correctly he was mentioning doing something to the crankshaft too. As fars as HP predictions he is realistic about it and that the engine itself should handle 400hp but, it is all about the tuning to get it there.

I really wish I could answer more of your questions and I am trying to get him to open and speak about it to get the word out but, I was kind of drinking that night and forgot a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
Interesting that DuelL USA is making the engine and not Japan. Everything usually comes from Japan and comes with a heavy shipping fee so I'm surprised they have the guys to get this done.
The CEO of Duell was in San Fran for the kick off party of MTTS. It is crazy but, from what I gather he is out here a lot. Plus the engine is being specifically built for 25hr of Thunderhill.
Also most of the parts are being farmed here in the US to cut down prices.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM
μ

Now that is fancy

Quote:
Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hahaha one can only hope.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
It is going to have a fully ported and polished head. Vince at GT Concept was informing me that the valves in the head are from another car that fit(the material I am about to say good be wrong because I forgot) and he mentioned that they were going be titanium. As far the internals yes the are going to be forged and a lot stronger and lighter. If I remember correctly he was mentioning doing something to the crankshaft too. As fars as HP predictions he is realistic about it and that the engine itself should handle 400hp but, it is all about the tuning to get it there.

I really wish I could answer more of your questions and I am trying to get him to open and speak about it to get the word out but, I was kind of drinking that night and forgot a lot.

The CEO of Duell was in San Fran for the kick off party of MTTS. It is crazy but, from what I gather he is out here a lot. Plus the engine is being specifically built for 25hr of Thunderhill.
Also most of the parts are being farmed here in the US to cut down prices.
Overall what you are talking about Porthos is what every race engine I have had my hands on. See image

Click the image to open in full size.

Titanium valves are nothing new, LS7 7.0L V8 comes stock with 2.200in Titanium valve. Titanium is a great valve material.

If it has aftermarket H or I beam rods (Carillo), aftermarket pistons (JE or CP) it will support way more then 400hp. Its all in the head, cam, fuel system, and tuning that will make whatever power you want. Its all in the math and science at that point unless they are just throwing shit together to see what happens which is the true tuner way to do it which is also the wrong way to do it.

Last edited by Camaro; 09-13-2014 at 07:23 AM..
Old 09-14-2014, 04:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I think you are missing the point. Where is it that you see this for the MINI. This is finally someone taking a chance on the N14/N18. Please don't turn this into the bash fest it was on NAM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:55 PM
μ

I agree, i saw that stupid clubman where they were like million horsepower mini. Then you look at the engine and its a stupid corvette engine......

Quote:
Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
I think you are missing the point. Where is it that you see this for the MINI. This is finally someone taking a chance on the N14/N18. Please don't turn this into the bash fest it was on NAM.
Im not missing the point or making it a bashfest. All you need for a successful engine program is a block that has structural rigidity, and good oiling. Next you need a rotating assembly that has has good rods with the biggest and best rod bolts possible which Carrillo has both the rod and fasteners to fit that bill. Then forged 2618 pistons I prefer Diamond, Wiseco or Ross but Arias, CP, or JE do fine as well. The bottom-end only supports horsepower which means it doesn't make the power. The the power is made in the head so you need a head and induction system that flows great, cams to control the powerband's nature. Then onces all that is rock solid its all down to the tuning. There is a lot of math and science that goes into building an engine. Unlike the tuners methodology of throwing shit together and seeing what happens is the best way to flush money down the toilet.