motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo
Default Supercharger oil change?

So I've read that I need to do a supercharger oil change in my R53 at 100k miles, and that it basically involves the disassembly of the entire nose of the car.

I've also read that there's no supercharger oil change interval and that Mini doesn't even sell supercharger oil.

Which of these is correct? My car has 92k miles on it, and I don't want to let this slide if it needs to be done. But I also don't want to go ripping my car apart if I don't have to.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

I wouldnít touch it unless thereís an issue. Changing the supercharger oil is an internet wives-tale, from what Iíve been told. I have spoken to a close friend of mine who also works at the dealer about this, but more importantly, Iíve also spoken to Eric at helix and he has also confirmed it does not need to be changed.

Donít worry about it unless you start to hear a ticking coming from the engine bay ó my ticking was indicative of a bad water pump. I luckliy caught it quickly enough that the water pump didnít take the supercharger gear with it. At that time I asked Eric if it needed the SC oils changed, and he told me no ó never.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That's awesome info, thanks! I was going to replace the Mini with a new car next year, but after the TDI debacle, we're back into another car payment, and we can't really carry two right now, so I have to make the Mini last a few more years.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:33 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I too wouldn't worry about it now.

Something to keep in mind, most oil related S/C failures are not the S/C are all, but the W/P drive gears that are housed with the oil, and most of the time they don't even go bad, they go dry and wear out. There's a seal in the S/C between the rotor housing and the W/P gear housing that inherently leaks "very slowly" and eventually it will all leak into the rotor pack. But...this usually takes 120k miles or more to start becoming an issue and there will be rattles and clatters to warn you when it's happening (I drove mine an additional 25k miles from when I was first aware of it, and that's not unusual).

Basically, unless you start hearing a strange clatter from the back of the S/C or you've got the car in service mode for some other reason, don't bother. If you have the car in service mode, it's not a big deal to change or at least make sure it's full, if you start hearing the noises, and can get to it fairly soon after, then go ahead and do it, the earlier you catch it, the more chance it will just be an oil change & fill and not a S/C swap or rebuild.
But again, unless it's one of these two scenarios, rest easy.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph