motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 12-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo
Default Just found out that my Mini got wrecked. And repaired.

I bought my Mini new. In fact, I ordered it, then waited for it to arrive. It's never, ever been in a wreck of any kind. At least not one that I know about.

Last fall I was washing my car. I noticed a stubborn speck just below the right rear tail light, so I hit it with a clay bar. Nothing. When I scraped at it with my fingernail, it got bigger. Upon closer inspection, it looked like the paint was bubbling.

By summer, it looked like some rust was taking hold, so I got out my tools, removed the tail light, and started sanding. The more I sanded, the larger the rust spot got, to the point where I wasn't confident that I could fix it properly myself. So, I took it to a body shop that I trust, and they went to work.

After a few hours, I got a phone call and some photos emailed to me. It was obvious to the tech, and from the pics, that the car had been hit from behind at some point, and then repaired. When the repair happened, a gap was left between two panels, and that's where water/salt/road grime got in and started the rust.

I went through my records of each of the (few) times the car has been in the shop, and unfortunately, the only time the car was out of my site for long enough for it to have been wrecked and repaired was at the Mini dealership, when they replaced the clutch/trans under warranty.

There is of course no way I can prove this, so I won't name the dealership, but I think it's pretty crappy that I now have to pay $650-ish to fix rust that they ultimately caused by what amounts to a shoddy repair job.

I just don't get why they wouldn't just say, "Sorry, your car got hit in the lot, so we need to keep it for a week to fix it" and then do a proper job. Baffling.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Wow, I can understand you feeling quite annoyed about this!
Old 12-16-2016, 12:49 PM
μ

did you ask them?, also, could it have been hit on the boat on the way over and fixed before you got it?
Old 12-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Leadership

Lukifer is correct. Sometimes vehicles incur damage during transport and they are repaired at the VPC/VDC before being shipped to the dealer. Damage can be a scratch or something more serious. If it is above a certain dollar amount they have to disclose it to you. Below that, you may never find out.

I can't say if this is the case for you, but it is a possible explanation. Here's a link to an artice on NAM about the process including a look at their bodyshop: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...on-center.html

You might contact a dealer and have them check the warranty history to see if anything shows.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I thought about it being damaged before I got it, but it the fix would have had been very speedy, because you get to track it using your VIN after you order it, and It seemed like it was never in one place for very long. Once it left the factory, it was on the boat, then went from boat to truck to dealership pretty rapidly. So it seems like it would have had to have been damaged between the assembly line and the boat.

Also, if water were getting in, it seems like 10 years (2006 until now) is an awfully long time to go for rust to happen. 7 years (2009, when the dealer had it for the week) until now also seems pretty long, but not as long. But I guess anything is possible at this point.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Leadership

The online tracking that MINI gives you access to is not real time by any means, but who knows at this point.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just phoned the dealer. It's been so long since the car's been there that it's been purged from their system.

But he said that nothing showed up on Mini's warranty system. He also said that had it been damaged at the dealer, they wouldn't have told me unless it was over a certain amount. That makes me feel great.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Isn't that kind of like saying...

"Sir, we don't need to tell you that we took money out of your savings account unless it's over a certain amount..."

I guess they can make up any kind of rules that they want...
Old 12-20-2016, 11:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yeah it's more than a little annoying. Especially since (according to the body shop) the repair wasn't done all that well, thus the rust issue.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well, the shop called. My car is fixed and ready to pick up (yay!)

The tech decided to take the other tail light out, and sure enough, rust was starting in there too. He cleaned up up, primed it, and painted it for no extra charge (it's an awesome body shop).

Picking her up tonight!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Leadership

Grats.