motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Featured Discussions Discuss your favorite feature articles in these separate discussion forums.

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > Featured Discussions

Old 01-29-2006, 12:52 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default Discuss: The TEAMMIGHTYMINIZ Intake Shootout presented by motoring|underground

What's up?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Wong

The Artical is great guys!! Job well done!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:12 AM
μ

Thanks Nick!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:51 AM
μ

Send a message via Skype™ to CANYON MINI

Nice work guy's !
Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default Couple comments....

First off, lucky guy for such a hot base car. Mine sure isn't the "pick of the litter". I'm a bit jelous.

Second, good job, to a point. More motor parameters should have been logged, to make sure the car was in identical base states. The Motronic system is like a supermodel with a personality disorder. Lots can effect it's behaviours.

Third, I too have not been able to reproduce the same magnitude of gains that are claimed on dynos. I use a G-Tech, not a dyno, to better replicate real-world air flow. The fan on the car is a bit of a help, but definantly not real world. But at least it was the same for each car!

Overall, good job. But if you do it again, get some more data loggin (A/F etc), and do 4-5 pulls per configuration. Lastly return to base so you can make sure that base numbers repeat, and baseline drift isn't an issue.

Two other comments. Make a table Product Cost HP gain, $/hp, torque gain, $/ft-lb

Make an overlay graph. It's not all about peak numbers. It's really about area under the curve.

Matt

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 01-29-2006 at 03:57 AM..
Old 01-29-2006, 03:42 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thumbs up .....:::::great werk::::.....

....... the write up is excellent to finally put sum of these non believin' f00ls to rest
Old 01-29-2006, 03:46 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0kER
....... the write up is excellent to finally put sum of these non believin' f00ls to rest
Thanks, j0ker!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:53 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
First off, lucky guy for such a hot base car. Mine sure isn't the "pick of the litter". I'm a bit jelous.
Nooo s***. My '04 MINI only managed to pull off 160hp, despite an AGS and exhaust. MINI should teardown Hollis' MCS and find out what the heck they did different, and apply it to the rest of the line.

Quote:
Second, good job, to a point. More motor parameters should have been logged, to make sure the car was in identical base states. The Motronic system is like a supermodel with a personality disorder. Lots can effect it's behaviours.
Even if we had logged it, it would have proven difficult to return the car to absolutely identical base states each time. We feel that resetting that Motronic system before each test, including base line, ensured that the engine was operating with the same fuel/timing maps for each intake.

Quote:
Third, I too have not been able to reproduce the same magnitude of gains that are claimed on dynos. I use a G-Tech, not a dyno, to better replicate real-world air flow. The fan on the car is a bit of a help, but definantly not real world. But at least it was the same for each car!
Your last sentence is exactly what we had in mind. We weren't as interested in absolute numbers as we were in the relative differences between the three intakes and stock, so spending the extra time on a busy dyno day to try to replicate optimal conditions for power would have been trying at best, impossible at worst. I've heard G-Techs aren't that accurate anyway, so I'll stick with our Dyno Dynamics results.

Quote:
Overall, good job. But if you do it again, get some more data loggin (A/F etc), and do 4-5 pulls per configuration. Lastly return to base so you can make sure that base numbers repeat, and baseline drift isn't an issue.
I agree with doing more pulls, but as this is a comparison test of intakes, it doesn't really matter whether we do two or twenty, as long as each intake gets the same number of pulls. Returning to base would have involved installing the AGS (2-3 hours), removing the AGS and taking it back to stock (2-3 hours), and reinstalling the AGS again (2-3 hours), as this is the intake Hollis ended up keeping. That would have taken an entire extra day at the dyno and 4-6 extra hours from our installer, so for time and cost restraints, this really would not have been a reasonable option to pursue.

Quote:
Two other comments. Make a table Product Cost HP gain, $/hp, torque gain, $/ft-lb

Make an overlay graph. It's not all about peak numbers. It's really about area under the curve.

Matt
Hm... I may take you up on that suggestion. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Retired

excellent write up Ivan. I know people were anxious to see this, but I'm glad you and the rest of our staff took the time to make sure everything was written up perfectly.

Click the image to open in full size.
Oh no, my brotha... you gotta get your own.
Phaze One
Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to nomonstersinme

very good article ivan!
i was actually surpised but glad to see alta as the winner and it sounds like a very fair comparison. I was also really surprised to see how well the M7 AGS did. I was under the impression that intakes couldn't produce that much more HP.
the only thing that confused me was how surprised you were about Hollis's car.. were you surprised that it out performed other 05's or earlier years? 2005+ has 168 hp stock, according to mini.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomonstersinme
the only thing that confused me was how surprised you were about Hollis's car.. were you surprised that it out performed other 05's or earlier years? 2005+ has 168 hp stock, according to mini.
i guess other people don't get this number (or even close to it) when they do a basline dyno. i was looking over on NAM and everyone else is surprised about Hollis' stock dyno as well.

Click the image to open in full size.
Oh no, my brotha... you gotta get your own.
Phaze One
Old 01-29-2006, 08:19 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Great article! Maybe someone put the JCW kit on Hollis' car at the factory by mistake?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:37 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomonstersinme
Thanks, y'alls.

The published factory specifications for an '05 are 168 hp at the crank. We saw 168 hp at the wheels! The commonly accepted figure for how much power is lost between the engine and the wheels, thanks to a lot of the energy being converted into heat through friction in the drivetrain, is 15%, so that would place Hollis' car at ~198 hp at the crank, or 30 hp higher than what the factory claims his car should make.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:06 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

If I recall correctly, my car had about 1-2HP lower than another 05 with the JCW.

I do not deny that I got very lucky.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 PM
μ

What was the build date for your car hollis? Could just be that dark silver...
-G