motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Featured Discussions Discuss your favorite feature articles in these separate discussion forums.

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > Featured Discussions

Old 01-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to nomonstersinme

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Thanks, y'alls.

The published factory specifications for an '05 are 168 hp at the crank. We saw 168 hp at the wheels! The commonly accepted figure for how much power is lost between the engine and the wheels, thanks to a lot of the energy being converted into heat through friction in the drivetrain, is 15%, so that would place Hollis' car at ~198 hp at the crank, or 30 hp higher than what the factory claims his car should make.

ah ok gotcha!
that is impressive then! i wonder what my car was stock. should have dynoed it before i added the pulley.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Amanda, we will need to have a dyno day so you can check it out, granted you already have the pulley
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I am glad that my extra $$ spent on the M7 AGS was worth it though. Good thing I got it for less than a Helix!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to nomonstersinme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINImort
Amanda, we will need to have a dyno day so you can check it out, granted you already have the pulley
yeah we do.. where is there a dyno around here? only one i knew of was Yarrow but he sold his... (did you tell me that?)
Old 01-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yarrow sold the dyno? That's always good. There is a place in Sterling MA that has one, there was a pulley party there in November I think
Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Damn good article guys! I'm glad everything finally worked out and you were able to post the results.

I remember Ivan telling me that hollis got a strong MINI but damn ........I didn't know it was that strong. Just wait til he starts heavily modding it.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Nice article Ivan.

I can only imagine that hell that will break loose if you try to right about something more sophisticated than an intake. For God's sake, please stay away from the multi-link suspension!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkagan
Nice article Ivan.

I can only imagine that hell that will break loose if you try to right about something more sophisticated than an intake. For God's sake, please stay away from the multi-link suspension!
Thanks Jon!

Fortunately, far fewer people feel they have a solid understanding of the multi-link suspension, so I'd probably be much safer writing an article about that.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nice writeup, Ivan. Well researched and well executed. I am just disappointed that your comparo did not include the 2 stage JCW intake, even as a benchmark. JCW is a MINI tuner too. I would have loved to see the specs on that.

Regards,
Sid
Old 02-26-2006, 10:55 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

We attempted to get a JCW. We only worked with the companies that agreed to participate, and could not get a response from them.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:19 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha
Nice writeup, Ivan. Well researched and well executed. I am just disappointed that your comparo did not include the 2 stage JCW intake, even as a benchmark. JCW is a MINI tuner too. I would have loved to see the specs on that.

Regards,
Sid
Thanks, Sid! There are a few others we would have liked to have tested, but unfortunately, it proved difficult to get some companies to provide us with a production intake system to test on. I'd really be curious to see how that two-stage JCW works, too. Do you think that change in the induction path really contributes to power, or do you think it's more of a sound enhancement, providing quiet comfort while cruising, but opening up for more spirited driving?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Do you think that change in the induction path really contributes to power, or do you think it's more of a sound enhancement, providing quiet comfort while cruising, but opening up for more spirited driving?
When I installed a K&N CAI in my '04 JCW, the hot mod was to cut a hole in the partition to allow access to more air from the plenum under the grille beneath the driver's side of the windshield. When I got my '05 with the JCW airbox, the installation included removal of that partition and an ECU controlled door at the back of the airbox that opens at 4500 RPM, allowing access to the air coming into the grille. Sure you can hear it when it opens, but the intake then gets more air to move down the line to the supercharger. So yes, I think it does more than sound nice. How much it helps I don't know. And how it compares in effectiveness to the other intakes in the test is also unknown. It doesn't kick you in the pants when it opens, there's just that steady rush of acceleration that goes right up to 7250 arpies (and maybe beyond).

I'm sure JCW has test data somewhere, but I can't find it. That's why I would have liked to have seen your tests include it. But regardless, I liked the way you conducted the test.

Last edited by Siddhartha; 02-28-2006 at 06:07 AM..
Old 02-28-2006, 04:48 PM
μ

Yeah, I kind'a figured as much. The problem with testing that sort of feature is that it's on a stationary dyno, so much like the cowl mods of the Alta and Helix intakes, it's pretty much impossible to replicate how much it would really help in the real world. What's it use to actuate the flap? Vacuum? Electric motor?

Thanks again, dude!
Old 02-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I don't know the answer to that question, but I know someone who does. Back soon.

"The control of the flap is electronic.

Interestingly, determination of engine RPM for this operation is not performed by the main engine computer, rather by circuitry in a little box which is located on the back of the new cowl that is installed along with the JCW intake. Once those electrics are satisfied that 4500 RPM is reached power is sent to an electric motor to open the flap. I believe there is a mechanism which keeps the extra air flowing until revs drop below 4000 RPM."

Last edited by Siddhartha; 03-01-2006 at 04:07 AM..
Old 05-21-2007, 09:52 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
I don't know the answer to that question, but I know someone who does. Back soon.

"The control of the flap is electronic.

Interestingly, determination of engine RPM for this operation is not performed by the main engine computer, rather by circuitry in a little box which is located on the back of the new cowl that is installed along with the JCW intake. Once those electrics are satisfied that 4500 RPM is reached power is sent to an electric motor to open the flap. I believe there is a mechanism which keeps the extra air flowing until revs drop below 4000 RPM."
Actually, having taken one apart I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum solenoid that actuates the flap. The vacuum however is controled by an electronic signal. You also have to tap into the tach signal so the circutry in the box probably isn't that complex.