motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Featured Discussions Discuss your favorite feature articles in these separate discussion forums.

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > Featured Discussions

Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
μ

Default Discuss: Driver Thoughts (October 2007)

Great responses this time.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by R50 Paul View Post
Great responses this time.
yah really good info.....interesting to see how people respond differently to the same situations/fears.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to OldnSlow Send a message via Yahoo to OldnSlow Send a message via Skype™ to OldnSlow

My son Otto is absolutely fearless. After putting my bimmer into a spin and up on its side, my autocross and kart performance plummeted. Had to have been fear, even subliminal.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Good read! Great job to everyone who put this together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryherrmann View Post
My son Otto is absolutely fearless. After putting my bimmer into a spin and up on its side, my autocross and kart performance plummeted. Had to have been fear, even subliminal.
After I crashed in the canyons years back I was never as fast as I was up in the hills...the fear has slowed me down up there.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I live in Atlanta. I go to the track to slow down a bit and relax

Great question, and equally great answers. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:43 PM
μ

Great question!! and equally excellent answers! Have to echo previous sentiments, was great to read and gauge each persons responses. Have to say this is one of the best threads (Driver Thoughts) that I have found out there, always interesting and informative. Keep up the good work

Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 AM
μ

Great answers and great reading. I always like to see how different people feel in different situations. It's cool to get a different perspective than just the way I feel/react behind the wheel. Great question, guys.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 AM
μ

Send a message via MSN to Captain Claw

fears can cause danger...i see it as fun and try to safely enjoy myself which i feel more comfortable driving than anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by that7guy View Post
I have a strong dislike for small humans
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Skype™ to Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
fears can cause danger...

I'm with you 100%. Fear causes hesitation and second guessing, and that can lead to serious accidents. If I hesitate for even a second I know that whatever I was going to do is no longer do-able, and thus I have avoided accidents thus far *knocks on wood desk*. When you're racing, it's definitely down to how much you trust your car, how well you know your car, and how much you trust yourself. I honestly think that once you're comfortable, fear should be the last thing you worry about. But, I am well aware that thinking and instinct are two entirely different things. Great question, and great responses!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez View Post
Good read! Great job to everyone who put this together.

After I crashed in the canyons years back I was never as fast as I was up in the hills...the fear has slowed me down up there.
same thing here. I got over it though but theres still that reality that sets in everyonce in a while.

omgzz
Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Skype™ to Puma

Fear is one of those things that you have to face immediately after something happens. When I used to play hockey (I was a goalie - talk about fear...), if I got hurt playing, I'd have to start taking shots again as soon as I could get back up, cuz I knew that if I didn't, I'd be too scared and shy to be able to do my job. I know that driving tends to lead to more serious injuries than hockey, but I think that getting back out there asap is key to helping get thru the fear.

I guess it's also important to remember why we do it. For me, I just love to motor. Just the feel of the pedal and shift lever with the car is what keeps me happy, so I do it for pure enjoyment. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's not a race (cuz if it was, I'd be much more serious), but a chance to relax, and after that, life is good again...
Old 03-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via ICQ to Xanthus Send a message via AIM to Xanthus Send a message via Yahoo to Xanthus

Great read. It all kinda applies to all the skill related hobbies I have had over the years. From autoX to paintball and even my medeival fighting, what starts as fear becomes the subconsious guide while you have to be totally focused on your current situation. It keeps you sharp enough (hopefully) to stay on your game and deal with things as fast as they can change on you. The focus escapes the fear, the fear remains in the back of your mind to "red flag" the next variable you have to adapt to. Well at least that is the way for me.

For driving alone, especially situations like the Dragon it has me starting my runs relaxed and slowly building my speed. I do not have that fear in auto-x as a dead cone is nothing compared to flying off a mountain.

This is my first really looking into one of these things and i think it was great timing for a really good read.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:09 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Samtrak

What great responses!

i like thinking!

MINI RSR- 2004 MCS______MINI....FTW !
1990 R32 GTR sedan
1986 Toyota Van
S54/E36/8 2001 M Coupe SOLD
DD Slugbut the WRX Wagon SOLD

seriousrrry
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Good reads, for sure. I raced a classic Mini for 12 years in SCCA, but am not too active anymore, except for some track days.
I think one of the keys is having confidence in your equipment (as witnessed by several drivers' statements) - the sound construction of the car, protection of the driver, and the driver's safety equipment - suit, helmet, Hans device, etc. And the safety and medical support team at the track, although no one really wants to think too much about that.
If one has that confidence, fear should disappear. No fear is what you want. The challenge of the car, the track, putting together the perfect lap, going faster than all the rest. Focus. No fear. Pushing to the limit, sometimes beyond. Look at the current F1 magazine and the stories about the top 100 drivers of all time. They commonly went beyond the limit. Transcending fear. Transforming fear into fantastic driving going beyond what anyone ever thought possible.

peter, old but still fast!
BLOG : http://peterbraunblog.wordpress.com/