motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Lineup Bringing you the sexiest rides team µ has to offer...

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > The Lineup

Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

I'd raise it

no sense in lowering a utility vehicle. The best part of driving things like that is the carefree attitude when you see a speedbump up ahead and just tackle it straight on.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
I would however love to slam this thing... but the practicality just isn't there for me. I'm going to do some research and see if i can pull off a 2" drop without sacrificing axle durability.
I don't think the axles are an issue, my SC runs over 1" lower than 'stock' Elements (I have several friends with normal Elements and they all look like 4x4's ) anyway, this might not be an issue for you but if you take yours on any 'serious' dirt roads like I do the protection skid bars for the gas tank quickly drag across the dirt I want to lower mine and put some wide wheels on it but it will restrict where I go so that's not happening

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
μ

yeah it's funny you mention that. the gas tank essentially is only 4" above the ground on this thing lol. I dont' really think I'll lower it to be quite honest. Especially if i'm going to be getting a toy car soon.

Marcel what sort of gas mileage do you get in your SC>?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM
μ

Anywhere from 24 to 18 depending on headwind plus bikes on top. It's a brick into the wind, and the auto doesn't like headwind. Truth is the Element is an outdated design with undersized engine which makes it rather inefficient. And my dog wants normal roll down windows in the back doors

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ColinGreene

Clearly this car needs a K20A head and a hondata reflash to make it work, can someone say K24 madness?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

After looking at it, I actually like the herculiner.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinGreene View Post
Clearly this car needs a K20A head and a hondata reflash to make it work, can someone say K24 madness?
lol. I was all ready to put some time into fixing this thing up. (as a dd not a motor swap)... but I'm shopping for something smaller and quicker. The element is now fix only what's necessary mode.

stay tuned.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM
μ

this car has been traded in on a 2010 honda civic EX-L. The end of a DD project and the beginning of a new one.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
µ Leadership

gross

however, very reliable
Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
gross

however, very reliable
if mileage were no concern... i'd be DD'ing an e36m3. But with 30k a year this is one of the few cars that can stand the test of time/abuse.

I'm thinking springs, spacers, control arms, tint, window visors, color match the chrome bits, some audio work, fogs and a few other bits.

It was so nice driving to work today with a cup of coffee in my hand and not needing to shift. Not having 3 mt cars is so much smater lol.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
μ

Bummer. And gross indeed

I still love my Element; super reliable and practical. Haven't seen anything that I want to replace it with. OK I do want an Audi Allroad badly (it and Subaru's are the car to own here in Denver) but it's not nearly as practical plus I'm way too broke to pay for one lol.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
μ

maybe it's just me but I fail to see what's gross about an 8th gen civic especially when compared to the element. My E didn't stand the test of time well. At the end it was ejecting the trans out of gear showing signs of a dieing trans. The IAC was blown, the airbag light kept coming on and the rebuilt axles I had put in were junk. It was a good car while it lasted but it's utility wasn't worth the cummy gas mileage and maintenance issues.

Overall this civic is quite nice and I think 8th gen's look pretty good with a little bit of customization. Maybe if I didn't do any commuting miles and didn't live in my car I'd get something fun.

for now I'm going to have to settle with; a loaded reliable daily driver, a 280hp/280tq fwd hot hatch, and a fully built roadster track car.

A tough car guy existence to be sure.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM
μ

it's just you (kidding!). I wasn't aware of the bad luck with your E. I'm probably jinxing mine now but it's been perfect for 80k and it's gotten nothing but occasional fresh oil and filters; and those always after much procrastinating and many extra miles. I'd buy a new Element if it had been redesigned instead of totally discontinued. Boo Honda for only making boring cars now.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
it's just you (kidding!). I wasn't aware of the bad luck with your E. I'm probably jinxing mine now but it's been perfect for 80k and it's gotten nothing but occasional fresh oil and filters; and those always after much procrastinating and many extra miles. I'd buy a new Element if it had been redesigned instead of totally discontinued. Boo Honda for only making boring cars now.
The element honestly wasn’t bad when it was in better shape. There are a few nagging issues with this car (seat mounts, axles, bushings, valve lash) that start to rear their ugly heads at about 115k miles or so. The honestly reality is that this car will easily you cost you 1k a year plus or minus after 100k miles… at that point with the maintenance issues and the mediocre gas mileage… a new DD starts to pay for itself. This civic costs me around 80 dollars out of pocket more each month than the element did when gas prices are factored in. That’s totally ignoring the fact that I was always fixing stuff on the element (mostly small stuff).

The biggest problem I see for the element is honestly the axles. They will go bad and when they do… rebuilds are your only option. Unfortunately most of the rebuild axles are shit so you’re just screwed dealing with 50k mile life crummy rebuilds that don’t stand up like the OE’s do.
The element was a great car for it’s time and place and mine was no exception to this. The utility was great and the gas mileage was very good considering when it was made. Unfortunately times have changed and so has gas prices. A car like this is no longer worth it when other cars (cx5) on the market have 0% financing and mucho better MPG.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
µ Leadership

I just dont like the new gen of civics. My own personal bias. I mean i love the easy, comfort, and reliability. I just simply dont find them appealing, but i dont live where you live and drive as much as you.