motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to JCC Send a message via MSN to JCC Send a message via Yahoo to JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
haha surprisingly no, i actually really like your car like it is in all honesty. However i have seen blue with black out mods and to me, they just dont look very good. Maybe because the blue is already kinda dark. i dunno.

The intake is super super easy. You literally just buy this filter

http://www.jegs.com/i/K&N/599/RU-1540/10002/-1?CT=999

and then you take out your intake box top, panel filter and intake hose that leads to your throttle body.

Then put the K&N directly on the throttle body and tighten down. done
I'll give the K&N a try ASAP. Oval, huh? I expected cone, I guess. I installed and deinstalled the cold air intake on my tC, so this should be a cinch. Any horsepower add spec for this that you know of?

"Blu" R53 '05 HB/B MCS MT 11/27/09 - 8/8/11
B&M SSK | Whalen shift knob | Auto Up | Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 | Way Motor Works 17% pulley installed by Way | DDM Works intercooler air diverter | rear window wiper delete | had big plans..

Motoring ID: QUIK511
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to JCC Send a message via MSN to JCC Send a message via Yahoo to JCC

Quote:
The one ball exhaust sounds exactly like the stock exhaust, but a little throatier and a tad bit louder. When it is cold it sounds kinda raspy though, but only when its cold.

however, if you have the bills to get an exhaust, i say get the invidia/skunk2 (same exhaust. it sounds great. I loverd mine.
I just don't want something that will sound Japanese or like a motorcycle.

I don't remember if I asked you this before. Does Invidia make the Skunk2? I couldn't find exhaust for the R53 on the Skunk2 site, but found the Invidia easily everywhere else. I do really like the Invidia exhaust. It looks great and the audio I've heard sounds good.

B&M SSK | Whalen shift knob | Auto Up | Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 | Way Motor Works 17% pulley installed by Way | DDM Works intercooler air diverter | rear window wiper delete | had big plans..

Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChangr53 View Post
hahaha thnx and the black matches real close to the plastic so if it were gloss it would be funny
I was thinking the same thing for mine as far as the matte black matching the plastic. Its on the back burner now anyway, but I'll eventually need to decide. If I do anything at all, that is.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I don't remember if I asked you this before. Does Invidia make the Skunk2? I couldn't find exhaust for the R53 on the Skunk2 site, but found the Invidia easily everywhere else. I do really like the Invidia exhaust. It looks great and the audio I've heard sounds good.
I don't think they make the skunk2 anymore. Like chase said, you can't go wrong with the invidia.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:16 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I'll give the K&N a try ASAP. Oval, huh? I expected cone, I guess. I installed and deinstalled the cold air intake on my tC, so this should be a cinch. Any horsepower add spec for this that you know of?

yeah you can expect a couple of horsepower from it. Its the combination of things that youll see the difference. Like one you have exhaust and pulley. Then youll notice the difference with the intake

I believe RFibanez has a skunk2 and he also worked for Skunk2, so you should shoot him a pm. he might have one for sale
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
I don't think they make the skunk2 anymore. Like chase said, you can't go wrong with the invidia.
That explains why it wasn't on their website.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
yeah you can expect a couple of horsepower from it. Its the combination of things that youll see the difference. Like one you have exhaust and pulley. Then youll notice the difference with the intake

I believe RFibanez has a skunk2 and he also worked for Skunk2, so you should shoot him a pm. he might have one for sale
I was talking to him about the Invidia. He did say he has the Skunk2. I'll see if its for sale if its identical to the Invidia with the exception of the tips.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

For strut tower mushroom protection, there are cheaper options than the Vorshlag camber plates.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=191

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=201

Don't get me wrong, camber plates are one of the best handling mods you can do for the car, but... if you're just going to be driving on the street, you probably don't need them. And there are cheaper camber plates out there (Ireland Engineering). The Vorshlags are better, but if you don't really need them...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default CAI

I would check out the Alta site, they just marked down their pulley and intake for the R53. Also, I did not notice if you had a manual or auto, but their short shifter got knocked way down also. I have a Helix, but I thought it was one of my best mods. Also, I recommend getting some used stuff, people all always selling things, I got my JCW exhaust used, $300. Good luck

Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI View Post
For strut tower mushroom protection, there are cheaper options than the Vorshlag camber plates.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=191

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=201

Don't get me wrong, camber plates are one of the best handling mods you can do for the car, but... if you're just going to be driving on the street, you probably don't need them. And there are cheaper camber plates out there (Ireland Engineering). The Vorshlags are better, but if you don't really need them...
Is there another way to adjust your camber without adjustable camber plates? Please pardon my ignorance about this stuff.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpls blr View Post
I would check out the Alta site, they just marked down their pulley and intake for the R53. Also, I did not notice if you had a manual or auto, but their short shifter got knocked way down also. I have a Helix, but I thought it was one of my best mods. Also, I recommend getting some used stuff, people all always selling things, I got my JCW exhaust used, $300. Good luck
I think I'm going to go with the HAI as opposed to another intake. I have a manual transmission. I do want to get a short shifter and need to add that to the list. Any other recommendations other than Alta or Helix? I'm in search of used stuff, but haven't seen anything that I could use.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nope. You need adjustable (or fixed) camber plates to adjust front camber. But, until you're really pushing things off the public roads, you don't really need them. Once you are, they make a big difference in handling and tire life - because instead of just wearing out the outside 1/3 of the tire, you can even the wear all the way across the tire.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI View Post
Nope. You need adjustable (or fixed) camber plates to adjust front camber. But, until you're really pushing things off the public roads, you don't really need them. Once you are, they make a big difference in handling and tire life - because instead of just wearing out the outside 1/3 of the tire, you can even the wear all the way across the tire.
I wanted the option of adjustability rather than being stuck with however it turned out. I can't afford to burn through tires.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm having trouble finding real specific instructions for the HAI. I found a few threads, but it seems like something is missing. I want to make sure I don't do anything to mess up the PCV and mass air. One of the guys put up a partition under his hood, but something tells me that's not necessary.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 AM
µ Leadership

Im telling you straight up, haha there really is nothing to it. Our cars dont run a MAF. there is a small hose that is connected to the bottom of the vlave cover that also connects to the intake tube, you just go to any autoparts store and pick up one of those tiny cone filters for $10 and put it in the end of it. (but it isnt totally necessary, just if you want. Seriously man haha. There are tons of us that have run them and still are running them. i actually almost switched back to it. You wont set off any codes. There isnt anything to hurt. Besides if its something that you dont like then just switch back to stock.