motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 08-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to JCC Send a message via MSN to JCC Send a message via Yahoo to JCC
Default harmonic balancer, steering rack and OC mat repairs

I had just changed my front and rear brake pads at MINI of Dallas where we had our Metroplex MINI do it yourself day on Saturday 7/24. I had a couple of lights still on from the brake pad change. I changed the brake pad sensors since they were both spent. I found out how to reset the brake pad light, but still had my DSC light and BRAKE light on randomly. I was to bring it by so they could see about getting those working correctly.

That Tuesday evening I was almost home from work and went into what I found out later was limp mode due to the harmonic balancer going out. I had stopped at the NTB since I was passing by before going home thinking something may have happened to my alternator or battery not knowing much about the lights that were on. The EML and battery light were both on. The guy at NTB said I need a new battery, but said he couldn't get one for the MINI. He said I didn't have enough cold cranking amps.

I brought it to MINI of Dallas on Wednesday afternoon so they could have a look. They said the battery tested good. They confirmed the bad harmonic balancer and found a couple of other items after test drive. They noticed a noise or knocking in the steering and figured the steering rack needed to be replaced. They also found the OC mat needed to be replaced. I believe that was a code they were getting. The warranty covers everything except for one hour of labor and my $100 deductible. The warranty does not cover an alignment which I found out last time I had the car in the shop back in March of this year. I'm going to get the alignment done elsewhere I think where I save some money by doing that.

Just wanted to share my woes, but am definitely glad I have the warranty. Hoping to get all of the known R53 issues taken care of under the warranty before its up next year.

"Blu" R53 '05 HB/B MCS MT 11/27/09 - 8/8/11
B&M SSK | Whalen shift knob | Auto Up | Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 | Way Motor Works 17% pulley installed by Way | DDM Works intercooler air diverter | rear window wiper delete | had big plans..

Motoring ID: QUIK511
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to JCC Send a message via MSN to JCC Send a message via Yahoo to JCC

They're done with the car and I will be picking it up tomorrow. I'm hoping they were able to get the alignment close so I can avoid getting one.

B&M SSK | Whalen shift knob | Auto Up | Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 | Way Motor Works 17% pulley installed by Way | DDM Works intercooler air diverter | rear window wiper delete | had big plans..

Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazyivan

Good luck, Did the HB seperate?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Not sure if it separated. It still ran okay when the A/C wasn't on. Just had dash lights on. I am getting my alignment done tomorrow. Hopefully it will feel better then. Big difference between that and the '10 Clubman S that I was driving as a loaner. I'm wondering what is going to go out next.