motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to JCC Send a message via MSN to JCC Send a message via Yahoo to JCC
Default clutch testing procedures (I thought this might be helpful to others)

By Kyle from Pro Tuning Performance:

Quote:
Below are two simple ways to test whether or not your clutch is slipping. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. From a stop, ease the clutch out in first gear. Get the car moving and hold the engine at approximately 3000 RPM in first gear with the clutch completely out. Next, quickly press the accelerator to the floor and hold it all the way to the redline. If the car pulls normally, then you are all good. If you notice that the engine RPMs increase but the car does not seem to be accelerating (and the tires are not spinning) then that most likely means that the clutch is slipping.

2. On the highway (preferably on a slight incline), put the car in one of the highest gears (5th or 6th) and maintain an engine RPM of approximately 3000 RPM with the clutch completely out. Watch the engine RPM and once again, quickly push the accelerator to the floor. If the engine RPM jumps up a few hundred RPM but the car does not accelerate, this can be a sign of a slipping clutch. Most of the time you will see the RPMs jump from around 3000 to 3500 almost immediately, then drop back down to 3000 at which point the car will begin to accelerate. The extent to which the RPMs jump will give you an idea of how badly the clutch is slipping. If you see a jump of 400-500 RPM, thats means the clutch is just beginning to slip. If you see any more than 500 RPM, then the clutch is probably pretty close to failing completely.

Of course, if there is no RPM jump and the car just accelerates normally, then your clutch is likely holding just fine.

These two test can determine if the clutch is worn, but will not always show if you have a warped pressure plate and/or flywheel (which will result in rough/uneven clutch engagement). However, there are other things that can result in rough clutch engagement.

"Blu" R53 '05 HB/B MCS MT 11/27/09 - 8/8/11
B&M SSK | Whalen shift knob | Auto Up | Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 | Way Motor Works 17% pulley installed by Way | DDM Works intercooler air diverter | rear window wiper delete | had big plans..

Motoring ID: QUIK511
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
μ

good share. with this being my first manual, i'm always paranoid about the clutch going.

these will be nice to try to give me some peace of mind.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 AM
μ

Quote:
Next, quickly press the accelerator to the floor and hold it all the way to the redline. If the car pulls normally, then you are all good. If you notice that the engine RPMs increase but the car does not seem to be accelerating (and the tires are not spinning) then that most likely means that the clutch is slipping.
unless it's an R50.....
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to JCC Send a message via MSN to JCC Send a message via Yahoo to JCC

I didn't write it, but I hope its accurate and helpful. These guys work on all kinds of different cars and they all track their rides. MR2, Audi and M3 to name a few.

"Blu" R53 '05 HB/B MCS MT 11/27/09 - 8/8/11
B&M SSK | Whalen shift knob | Auto Up | Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 | Way Motor Works 17% pulley installed by Way | DDM Works intercooler air diverter | rear window wiper delete | had big plans..

Motoring ID: QUIK511

Last edited by JCC; 08-20-2010 at 06:03 AM..
Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Retired

Send a message via ICQ to Scotty

Other good trick:

While parked with e-brake engaged and engine running. Press the clutch, the right foot firm on the brake and slowly release the clutch in 3rd or 4th gear(middle gear). If the engine stalls if the clutch is about halfway released, all is well. If the engine stalls later you have a slipping clutch.

9 of 10 voices inside my head say I'm crazy. One is whistling...
Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Another common problem related to slipping, misaligned clutches can "drag". To diagnose, on a perfectly flat surface, or as close to one as possible, rev to 5k with the clutch pedal entirely depressed and hold for just a few seconds (like you were going to launch the car). If the car moves forward, likely it will inch just slightly, then one of the plates in your clutch is dragging against another.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Paul View Post
unless it's an R50.....
no doubt. 3k in 5th is atleast 70mph. You're not going to accelerate very fast either way, especially up a hill.