motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Trees & Twisties Canyon carving, touge, tarmac rally... whatever you call it, this is the place to discuss it.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Trees & Twisties

Old 04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Send a message via AIM to Group A
Default drift vs grip?

is it true that drifting through some of the tighter corners on a touge is faster?

Group A
95 Accord (CD5)
91 325i (E30)
95 Celica (ST204)
05 Scion tC (FW21)
84 318i (E30- 2.7 liters)
Old 04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

drifting in a canyon isnt that smart, because most times people cross the double yellows, id say that its usually faster to have grip through corners, and safer

Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

drifting = tires losing traction

as far as speed is concerned - drifting is not faster than tires gripping.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:14 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

In some situations, such as on really tight hairpins, rally drivers often choose to drift into the corner to rotate the car early for a faster exit. This is on a closed course, though.

Drifting in the canyons is a BAD idea, though. It's not a closed course, most corners are blind, there are big hulking SUVs everywhere, pedestrians, and unlike a rally driver, you're not wearing a helmet, Hans device, 6-point harness, and surrounded by an incredibly strong roll cage.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:22 AM
μ

yes, as Ivan mentioned above.

I spoke too soon. I wasn't thinking of the tight turns, but thinking of drifting on the touge in general.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:37 AM
μ

hahaha - i have seen more videos of East Coasters crossing the double yellows...

we also discourage crossing the double yellows.

Which video are you referring to? Be careful - Randy is coming to the dragon.. hahaha... I say that because he has a dark silver with wing.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:41 AM
μ

haha - if it was this one both ivan and randy are on the preview.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:43 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle cattle
well i had NO idea what the touge was.... so i looked it up on google video... and found it... basically canyon runs... which.... I would personally shoot the owner of the gray mini with the m7 wing on the back because of his idioacy in crossing the yellow line as well as half the other cars in the video... west coast "twisty" drivers (from what I have seen) are SHIT crossing yellowline at every corner having NO reguard for people coming the other direction... you do that shit on the dragon... you WILL get killed...period if people do that at MOTD they will get an asschewing from me....and a couple flat tires cuz thats just stupid and endangers more than just yourself.

-Josh
one of our rules are not to cross the yellows!

Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 AM
μ

Quote:
well i had NO idea what the touge was.... so i looked it up on google video... and found it... basically canyon runs... which.... I would personally shoot the owner of the gray mini with the m7 wing on the back because of his idioacy in crossing the yellow line as well as half the other cars in the video... west coast "twisty" drivers (from what I have seen) are SHIT crossing yellowline at every corner having NO reguard for people coming the other direction... you do that shit on the dragon... you WILL get killed...period if people do that at MOTD they will get an asschewing from me....and a couple flat tires cuz thats just stupid and endangers more than just yourself.

-Josh
Josh I am the owner of the grey Mini which crosses the doubble yellow. I will see you at the dragon in about 11 days and explain how we had radio contact at both ends of that section and was given the all clear before proceeding. We strongly agree that crossing the double yellow is a big NO NO except on closed road conditions which this effectively was. Now on the other hand I am very curious to see how you can shut down your lights fast enough at night should someone come the other way on your beloved dragon and not force them into the trees I also have a aux set up for my drivers and I am curious to see how you handle the switching . Anything else?

Randy
M7 Tuning
Old 04-24-2006, 03:55 AM
μ

Great , See you soon .

Randy
M7 Tuning
Old 04-24-2006, 04:04 AM
μ

As Randy mentioned before - the video was a special shooting with radios clearing the roads.

When we do runs, we always warn people not to cross. In fact if you ask Nick, Sire, msfit and others, I usually take the back - and if i see them crossing - i will flash them off the road to beat them up... thankfully i haven't had to.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 AM
μ

Quote:
...was with killboy today and we did a semi hot run... ...we both KNOW the road and can rail around blind corners and know whats around the bend...
I'm just curious as to how you know what is around a blind corner?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:13 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Send a message via AIM to Group A

uh oh..i think i might eb flamed, but i take up the whoel road everytime i go out for runs ...but we always go at at aorund 1am and we're the onyl people out there, sometimes there'll be a couple cars but we can spot their headlights and slow down until they apss, and on blind corners we turn off our highs and look for oncoming headlights. i noticed practicly all you guys drive minis, is this a mini biased forum or its just a coincidence. but its cool, i love minis, but im more of a jap car guy.

and just for fun, heres a vid of a couple local drifters on my local touge

http://www.myspace.com/eastsliders

its the first video

Group A
95 Accord (CD5)
91 325i (E30)
95 Celica (ST204)
05 Scion tC (FW21)
84 318i (E30- 2.7 liters)
Old 04-25-2006, 02:05 AM
μ

Quote:
I was with killboy today and we did a semi hot run... and neither of us crossed that line at all...and we were going a lot faster than most people in minis will be going because we both KNOW the road and can rail around blind corners and know whats around the bend... but we never cross that line.. even if we can see.... #1 reason why we dont... why straighten out a curvy road? these curves are what bring us down there... not the straights..
Agreed about crossing the double-yellows, but with all due respect, are you psychic? If not, you can never know what's around a blind corner, and if you're going flat out with no room in your friction circle for an abrupt throttle lift and/or evasive maneuver, someday a deer maybe be your undoing. Don't EVER assume you know what's around a blind corner--always leave a margin for the unexpected!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:09 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group A
uh oh..i think i might eb flamed, but i take up the whoel road everytime i go out for runs ...but we always go at at aorund 1am and we're the onyl people out there, sometimes there'll be a couple cars but we can spot their headlights and slow down until they apss, and on blind corners we turn off our highs and look for oncoming headlights. i noticed practicly all you guys drive minis, is this a mini biased forum or its just a coincidence. but its cool, i love minis, but im more of a jap car guy.

and just for fun, heres a vid of a couple local drifters on my local touge

http://www.myspace.com/eastsliders

its the first video
This ain't Japan, mang! No wide angle mirrors, or strong railing, or huge runoff area. Don't ever cross the double-yellows in the canyons. I don't care what time you're driving... if you're out there, chances are I'm gonna be out there, and if I run into you because you're straddling the double-yellows around a blind corner, you better hope one of us is dead, 'cause there will be hell to pay! :p

BTW, we're mostly MINIs, but not all. Welcome to the forums, but for the love of god, keep the drifting on the track and away from our canyons! Drifters are ruining it for everyone! Do you honestly think the cops don't see the patches of rubber crossing the double-yellows?