motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 PM
μ

haha thats awesome! Just might have to get it...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I just wish they had a demo I could try out. $8 for an app that I'm not even sure I will like seems kind of steep.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM
μ

Officially registered from my first half marathon this morning The race ends on the island where my wife and I were married.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 PM
μ

Yeah BJ!!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 PM
µ Retired

Cool thread to read through.

Pir8 97 - Getting through your first half marathon was huge. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck!

My background:
October 2011 I ran my first half marathon. Then with some encouragement I started training for a full marathon. I raced the Surf City Marathon (Huntington Beach) in February and finished in 2:53, then followed that up in May with the OC Marathon where my time dropped to 2:49:29. Thanks to that time I recently registered for Boston (April 2013). Along the way I have done some other half marathons (PR is currently 1:17:35)

Also along the way I have injured my hip in a trail race. That sidelined me for about a month. I have also had a couple instances where I strained one of my feet, which has taken me out of running for a couple weeks or so each time.

Now I'm coming up to October again and looking forward to the 1 year mark of racing. As far as the future goes, I'd like to get my Marathon PR down in the low 2:40s (2:42ish maybe). The first part of 2013 will be focused on Boston, but after that I'm planning on doing my first triathlon and then in the late Summer doing a 70.3

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM
μ

Wow! Dave those times are incredible. I'd like to know how you train. My target half time is 2:15 which is an hour behind your time.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM
µ Retired

The first trick is listening to your body and not getting injured.

My background prior to running was in cycling, so I do have some endurance training history prior to the past year. That said, for my first full marathon I used a plan by Hal Higdon http://www.halhigdon.com/ I believe it was the Advanced 2 plan. I averaged about 55 miles per week of training for my first full marathon. In any case, Hal Higdon also has training plans for half marathons and you can pick one that best fits with your mileage levels now and training time commitment. That's what I would recommend. Find a plan that works for your training ability and stick relatively close to the plan (a little tweaking around the edges is okay and won't change anything in the grand scheme of things).

For my 2nd marathon, I followed thee 55/12 plan (55 miles per week max; 12 week plan) from Pete Pfitzinger's book Advanced Marathoning. http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Marat...+mararathoning My half marathon PR was 2 weeks after that 2nd marathon, so for me, it was about 55-60 miles/week that it took to get into the sub 1:20 range.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Justapooper

Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 PM
μ

Thanks Dave. I'll checked out those links briefly. I like how he mixes in 5 & 10k races in the program. I had to change my training for a week to work in a 5k. My schedule has been out of whack since. I missed my long run last Saturday because I went to a theme park with the family. I couldn't see myself running 11 miles and then walking a park all day. The next day was a travel day and spending 5 hours in the car didn't seem like a good idea either. I've been down with a virus this week. I'll try to get in a 4 or 5 mile run tomorrow and hopefully will have the strength to get in my 11 Saturday morning.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 AM
µ Retired

If there is one run that you get in during the week, the long run is the one to get. Sometimes that means I have done a long run on a Thursday or a Monday if I knew my weekend schedule was not going to be friendly for fitting in a longer run.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about being off your program for a few days to a week. You won't lose fitness that quickly. Generally speaking for that kind of time off from a program I would take the first couple days back easy and then return to the training plan.

Justapooper

Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM
μ

That's good to know. I'm bringing my running gear to H2Oi this weekend. I'd like to get in a nice long run on the strip and check out the cars at the same time.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM
μ

Back at the doctor this morning. it has been 2 weeks today since my last run and I'm dying to hit the pavement again. Hope it's not something like pneumonia that will make me miss my half.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 AM
µ Retired

FWIW, I've missed races and goal races while injured or recovering from injury. It sucks. That said, it is better to miss a race or two or three than it is to be further setback from being healthy again. I'm presently going on 3+ weeks of not running and currently don't plan on racing this weekend. At one point I was planning on a PR attempt on Sunday, but that has long since left the realm of possibility. Focus on getting healthy and then worry about when you race again.

Justapooper

Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
...it is better to miss a race or two or three than it is to be further setback from being healthy again...

Much better than going all the way to the race and then missing it because you forgot to pre-register. Now, who could possibly be THAT DUMB?! #imadumbass
Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 PM
μ

Still fighting off the pneumonia. I've been reading about other runners who have had it and it could take months to recover. I don't think I have it as bad as many of those folks. I'm feeling stronger and my lungs don't hurt like they did. Still a lingering cough.

When I finish antibiotics in a couple of days I'm going to try a short run to see how I feel. Some folks said the running actually helped to break up the stuff in their lungs and seemed to help them recover faster. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to slowly start back my training next week.

Just over 1 month til the race.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 AM
µ Retired

Yuck, that sounds like no fun. Hope you get better soon.

Yesterday I had an MRI that confirmed I have had a stress fracture in my left foot for the past month. I'm wearing a boot/soft cast until the end of November, so I'm now looking forward to DNS'ing the December marathon I had planned on.

The good news is I'll be able to start running again in December and be ready at the beginning of the year to start a training cycle for the Boston Marathon (mid April).

At least I know what I need to do now to get better.

Justapooper