motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8 97 View Post
They've been pushing there thing like crazy on Facebook. I see ads every time I login.
We did a similar race to this in August called Rugged Maniac. Can't wait to do another. Cheryl ran it with me and a group of our friends. She was complaining about it all the way to the site, and immediately after the race said, "Is there another one coming up soon? We should do it!"
If you've never done one and have even the slightest interest, go for it! I would say that we wouldn't have had as much fun without being part of a team.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Quote:
They've been pushing there thing like crazy on Facebook. I see ads every time I login.
Oh interesting... I haven't seen any ads on facebook, but maybe that's that whole "adaptive ad" thing, haha.

I just think it's funny that you get a Dos Equis as you cross the finish line, haha.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yesterday I had an MRI that confirmed I have had a stress fracture in my left foot for the past month. I'm wearing a boot/soft cast until the end of November, so I'm now looking forward to DNS'ing the December marathon I had planned on.
Tomorrow is the day I find out if everything has healed up or if they are going to cast my foot. Fingers crossed.

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
μ

Good luck today Dave! Let is know how it turns out.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Retired

I'm back to walking with two shoes. Still going to be a while before I'm back to running though.

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'll post for my wife.....she will be 53 this December, just ran a half marathon in 1:52, fifth in her age group. All this after splintering her fibula 7 months ago in a half I can't run anymore, so we got into road biking last spring, much easier on the knees
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'm back to walking with two shoes. Still going to be a while before I'm back to running though.
Great news Will you have time to prep for Boston?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminni View Post
I'll post for my wife.....she will be 53 this December, just ran a half marathon in 1:52, fifth in her age group. All this after splintering her fibula 7 months ago in a half I can't run anymore, so we got into road biking last spring, much easier on the knees
Splintering and fibula are not words I want to think about together. Ouch!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:

Splintering and fibula are not words I want to think about together. Ouch!
Crazy thing is, she broke it at mile 4, thought it was just an ankle spain and ran 9 more miles and finished at 2:10
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 AM
μ

New Christmas present from my wonderful wife: Garmin 210 with heart rate monitor and foot pod. Time to get serious about this training. Now I can set my training by heart rate & cadence. I looked up some training today and was a little disappointed that I may be training a bit above my ability. I hate the idea of having to slow down, but if it makes me faster in the long run then so be it. I'm going to try some max heart rate tests to try and get a true max heart rate.

Here's a pic from yesterday's 5 mile test run:

Click the image to open in full size.

The run went well, but I hurt my foot yesterday afternoon. My kids got new bikes & I was running beside them. Don't know what I did... Maybe I was tight after the early run & pulled something. Hope it'll go away soon without more drama.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 AM
μ

Well after looking into this heart rate thing further, maybe I am training in the proper zones at least for tempo. The calculators had my MHR around 181-186. Well I ran 5 miles yesterday with a kick in the last .25 mi. My monitor had my max at 194bpm so that's what I'm going with for my MHR.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 AM
μ

A few updates...

Got a shirt for Christmas that was too big and the store didn't have a smaller size so this happened:
Saucony Kinvara 3

I wanted something lighter that had a tad more room in the toe box than my Brooks PureCadence shoes. I read several glowing reviews of the shoe and have wanted a pair for months. Unfortunately after walking around the house in them, they were just too tight around the toes. I tried on 4 different sizes and couldn't get fit right. So today this happened:

Brooks PureFlow 2

This shoe is even less structured than the Cadence which gives my foot the extra room I want, plus still fits my foot like a glove in the mid area. Heavier than I wanted, but still a little lighter than my current shoes. Can't wait for a run in these.

I have set two main goals for 2013
1. Finish a marathon
2. Run a cumulative 780 miles

Last update, my foot problem from Christmas Eve got better but came back after a run. The pain seems to be coming from my heel and radiating out to my outer mid foot. I'm afraid it may be plantar fasciitis. I'm working to stretch and loosen my calf and foot muscles to help it heal. Hopefully it won't slow me down too much.

Looking forward to 2013!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

You're a shoe addict BJ! (Trust me I get it )
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
You're a shoe addict BJ! (Trust me I get it )
Yep ... afraid I'm going to need a second job. BTW, I was wearing my New Balance Minimus shoes when I hurt my foot. Really have to be careful in shoes with so little cushion. How are yours working out?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
μ

I love mine... They are working out really well. I will say though, the farthest I run in them is about a mile at a time. I'm using them for crossfit, and we run short distances as part of our workouts.

I will say though, one day we had a workout that was just running, and my calves were really sore for a few days. It was basically this:

- 1 mile run
(2 min break)
- 800m run
(2 min break)
- 400m run
(2 min break)
- 200m run
(2 min break)
- 400m run
(2 min break)
- 800m run
(2 min break)
- 1 mile run

So, in total that was almost 4 miles of running with breaks in between. Like I said, my calves were really, really sore for a few days, and I kinda feel like if I ran any more that day I might have hurt myself.

Also, we have to be really careful when we do box jumps, because if you don't land with your entire foot on top of the box, you could really jack your achilles (basically landing with only your forefoot on the box, and your heel hanging off the edge).

For the heavier power-lifting, they work great in the sense that they are completely flat, but they are pretty light weight. I think I will probably end up getting a legit pair of lifting shoes for the power lifting days, and use the minimus shoes for everything else.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM
μ

That zero drop will work your calves for sure. It took a while for me to get used to the 4mm drop in my shoes