motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 07-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

That looks awesome.

Unfortunately, we don't have the space for that sort of thing. The tub sits in a 60" x 34" cove.

But we make up for it with the hot tub out on the veranda!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

If the "wall / shelf" is built properly, and the tub properly supported, there should be no flex, and therefore no grout cracking.

My dad is a master tile / marble installer with 45 yrs experience (half of that in the old country).

JCW CAI, JCW Exhaust, 15% WMW pulley, M7 STB, DPSM Sound, Sport, Anthracite HL, Interior Chrome, Heated Bits, Euro TL, Parcel Shelf, DICE iPod.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:09 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Glad to hear you worked the situation out with your contractor oreo.

BJ, sweet bathroom That thing is huge! Our guest bathroom in our house is actually bigger than our master, haha. The master is probably 5' deep x 6' wide, then a shower.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:26 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
BJ, sweet bathroom That thing is huge!
I miss it, but I like my garage more!
Old 07-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to qwkslvr02

Yeah, definitely a good choice to have them rip it back out. After all, you are paying for his services, it only makes sense that he do the job originally agreed to. He's just trying to be lazy and not rectify the situation he was at fault for.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default I'm irked

And you would be too if someone gave you an estimate for $2400 and the final bill ended up being $6500.

This is exactly what's happened to us with our bathroom remodel jobs. Back at the beginning of the year, my wife and I decided that we were going to have the bath tub in the upstairs hallway bathroom replaced. She likes to soak in a tub, but the original tub in the house was way too shallow for her to immerse herself. We also hated the old chrome faucets that the house came with, which had become difficult to operate.

In addition to the tub, the floors in both that bathroom and the master bath needed to be redone, because at some time in the past, one of the previous owners decided to take a stab at laying tile, but he laid it right on top of the plywood flooring, so over the years the grout cracked and all the tiles came loose.

In the end, I decided on the hallway bath to do: tub, faucet, shower door, plus have the floor and tub cove re-tiled. In the master bath, we re-tiled the floor, used the same tile for the shower stall, had the faucet replaced, and had a shower door added as well.

Since we already had a good tile guy, we just needed someone to do the plumbing part, so we hired a contractor we'd used before. To R&R the tub, and do the plumbing for both bathrooms, he gave us a written estimate for $2400. This does not include any tile work.

The job started off on the wrong foot, as he ordered (and installed) the wrong tub. He also ran into a few problems during the job - mostly things he did wrong that he had to do again. He also managed to damage a plumbing line that flooded water into the first floor ceiling, cut an electrical line, and burn out an element in our hot water heater by leaving the water off for a few days while we were on vacation, allowing the water heater to run halfway dry.

I tried to be cool about everything, and even accepted the wrong tub, and fixed the electrical wire and water heater myself. So as you can imagine, I was pretty surprised to get a bill for over $4000 over the what the estimate was for.

If I look at the breakdown of the bill, the first thing I notice is that he's almost doubled his prices on materials compared to the estimate. In fact, the only thing that was within the estimated amount was the (wrong) tub. Looking at labor, it looks like we paid $1000/day for him to be here, and even then, that's counting the time he spend fixing his screw-ups.

Is it any wonder I'm irked?

And it seems I'm not the only one. When our tile guy was here, he told me about another bathroom job that this guy did where he gave someone an estimate to install a shower door of $850 for the door, and $250 to install it. Then he gave them a bill for $5000 because he picked a door that was like $4500+!

I have a good mind to join Angie's list and leave this guy a "glowing" review.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

isnt there legal recourse here? i assume the written estimate has some legalese to it, but if you didnt change the scope of work and didnt delay him in completing his work, he has no ground to increase the price. also, he should have paid to fix the problems he created (even if he just paid your time)...

contractors try this stuff all the time. i don't allow it at my work, you shouldnt allow it in your home.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Deviant

I'd threaten legal recourse and try and talk this out with him. I can actually see a bill being double an estimate, that sort of thing happens, but any more than that is just incompetence on the contractors part. As much as he screwed up he should be feel lucky to still have a client to bill at the end of it all. If that fails you could always charge him for your labor to fix the electrical screw-up and the water heating and maybe get some money back that way.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That sucks. Where did you find that guy?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The guy was referred to us by someone else he has done work for. He's done a bunch of work for us before, both on this house and our last house, and has always given us pretty good prices.

This is by far the largest job we've given him (and probably now the last) but there was no indication anything was going overboard. He never said anything to me about time or cost over-runs. When it came time to pick plumbing fixtures, he gave me a list to pick from, and I chose one of those.

If anything, we reduced the scope of work, because there was an item I removed from the original estimate due to time concerns (he was taking waaaay long to get the job done, often only spending one day per week working on the project). The only thing I added was to ask about a hand-held sprayer for the hallway bathroom, which I now regret asking about. Rather than give me a price on the item, he just went and ordered it, then billed me $240 for it. Sorry, but I can buy the exact same item at Home Depot for $49.99. I ain't paying to $240 for a hand-held shower sprayer.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:49 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

I know nothing about this legally....but once it passes a certain range near the estimate, does he have to check with you? It seems ridiculous to assume you can just quote 2k and then bill 6k....even for his sake, he should make sure that's okay with the customer before doing it.

Sounds lame.....sorry you've gotta deal with this.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

There are dozens of things he should have checked with. He quoted us $550 for the shower door on the tub. He's billing us $1150 for it. You would think he would have said, "Oh, btw, the door I'm using is double what I quoted". He quoted us $150 per faucet set. He's billing us $200-250 per. Do you think he might have mentioned, "Oh, this faucet is $100 more than what I quoted".

How about the hand-held. Maybe a "hey, this thing is $240, do you still want me to order it for you?"

Or anything about labor, at all?

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

yeah....I'd call him out about this. if his final is substantially more than the contract or estimate, I believe the burden is on him unless he got you to sign off on it.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I only signed off on the original $2400. And the original estimate had no language that allowed for any unforeseen overages.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sounds pretty bad...if you have a contract and the guy is licensed, I would do some research here...

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/occprof/homeim.html