motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 08-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Homer: 2007 MY/B MC

As some of you may have read in the positive energy thread back in June, my bf and I won the 2 year lease of an MC from Herb Chambers MINI at MINIs on Top. After some logistical crap with the NYS DMV we finally picked the car up on July 21. We've already managed to put 1000 miles on the car (not good when you are limited to 10000 per year) but we each wanted to get a chance to really test out the new design.
I guess you could say I have quite an extensive MINI background in that I currently am driving my 3rd (Homer made it #4). I started in 2003 with a manual Cooper which I had for a year an a half. Then moved up to a 2005 MCSC and am now driving a 2006 MCSC. So I've got some background to compare the new car to.
Here are Homers Specs (although with all the changes I am still not sure I have them all down right):
2007 MY/B MC
cold weather package
color matched dash trim (black and yellow)
Sunroof
Chrome line interior
Black bonnet stripes
15 inch wheels

The first thing I will say about the car is I know, it's ugly. I say it everyday. I am not a huge fan of the color, and that teamed with the chrome grill in the front doesn't do it any further justice. The few pics of seen of MY S's look much better, as I think the black grill in the front improves the overall look. However overall I am not a fan of the new headlights. The car looks like a 4x4 and the 15 inch wheels don't help in that department either. But hey, it was a free car so I can't complain all that much.
As for how the car compares and my overall impressions. I really forgot what it was like to drive a Cooper on a daily basis and on meets. The car is SLOW (as least compared to my S). The car does have some get up and go once you are moving but this requires a lot of downshifting. For instance, I was doing about 65 mph on the highway in the middle lane and wanted to pass the car in front of me. In order to merge into the left lane I had to down shift from 6th to 4th to get any power. If you are at highway speeds and really stomp the gas in 6th you go no where, same with 5th. Just getting the car moving makes a lot more effort on the clutch. Merging onto the highway is also a task and unlike my S I often find my foot having the pedal stomped all the way to the floor and me yelling "come on hamsters, you can do it"
I can also tell the large differences between the Coopers suspension and my S. I recall that my 2003 Coopers suspension was different then my S and I have always said I actually felt a bit safer in my Cooper on meets which pushed the suspension then I do in my S. However on this Cooper at times the suspension can be a bit skittish. For instance, I was on an off ramp (taking a curve) and hit a pothole, even my sister in the backseat said "Oh that felt kind of not good" as it almost felt like the car glided a bit when hitting the pot hole
I really like the new turn signal stalk design, being able to tap it and have it blink 3 times so I can change lanes is a nice feature and I have gotten used to shutting it off when need be. I am so used to it and like it so much I often find myself trying to get the same features out of the turn signal stalk in my car.
I hate the non-sport seats...I forgot just how much (I had these in my Cooper too). It's like you're sitting on a piece of cardboard and nothing holds you into the seat.
I love the interior mood lighting, although unlike we initially thought, the color isn't programmed to your key. So my bf and I are constantly back and fourth, I set it to pink when I drive he sets it to blue when he drives.
Oh and we named the car Homer, cause he's yellow, pretty wide, slow and has black on his "head" much like Homer Simpson. That's all I have for now. Go ahead and say it's ugly...I already know.
Click the image to open in full size.
Homer's new plates:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I can also tell the large differences between the Coopers suspension and my S. I recall that my 2003 Coopers suspension was different then my S and I have always said I actually felt a bit safer in my Cooper on meets which pushed the suspension then I do in my S. However on this Cooper at times the suspension can be a bit skittish. For instance, I was on an off ramp (taking a curve) and hit a pothole, even my sister in the backseat said "Oh that felt kind of not good" as it almost felt like the car glided a bit when hitting the pot hole
What size wheels and tires are you used to? Also, what class of tires (all-season, touring, high performance, ultra high performance, maximum performance, etc) are you used to? Some of that feeling may be flex in the sidewalls, and some of it may also be tread squirm if the tire has small tread blocks and deep tread.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
What size wheels and tires are you used to? Also, what class of tires (all-season, touring, high performance, ultra high performance, maximum performance, etc) are you used to? Some of that feeling may be flex in the sidewalls, and some of it may also be tread squirm if the tire has small tread blocks and deep tread.
My first Cooper had the 15 inch Holies with the Continental all seaons.
My 2005 MCSC had 17 inch S-lites with run flats, then 17 inch Ro_ja's with Falken Zeix ZE-512 205/45ZR-17 tires.
2006 MCSC has 17 inch S-lites with all season runflats
2007 has 15 inch wheels with all seasons (don't know what brand).

My comparison of the squirminess of the new car/suspension was comparing it to my 2003 Cooper which had the same size wheels (probably different tires) but still runflats.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
μ

I think it's a real good looking car!!! Yeah the wonkyness in the suspension is gotta be due to the wheel/tire combo. As for teh power, I for one am used to it, so it's an automatic reaction for me to down shift in to 3rd or 4th when ever changing lanes.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:10 PM
μ

Nothing beats free!

I'll say though, that if you haven't driven a non-sport suspension R56 yet, then don't chalk it all up to the tires. Although I agree they contribute to it, the non-sport cars have even smaller sway bars front and rear, and the spring rates and dampers are softer too. If you are used to a sport-suspension and S-lites on runflats then it's a HUGE change. You'll actually feel the car wallowing through turns like a big-ol caddi. Something I wasn't used to with MINI's.

Drew
Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 PM
μ

haha the name Homer really suits that MINI. doesnt look bad to me, I actually would prefer the chrome slat grill over the black honeycomb of the S