motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default buying salvage/wrecked vehicles from auction

Someone mentioned to me i might look for a decent parts car to fix my problems with the cooper by picking something up at an insurance auction. Does anyone have any experience or tips for going this route? I'm thinking if i could buy a cooper, cooper carbrio, or cooper S for around $3k-4k with minimal damage. I could pull all the wiring, mechanical and computers from the wrecked one and just do a direct swap into mine for a fraction of the price it would be to completely piece together.

anything extra left over (headliner, door panels, doors, trim, trailing arms, etc) could be set aside as back up or sold to offset the cost of the swap.

i keep falling in love with the way my car looks everytime i look at it but keep getting pushed away by the problems with the CVT transmission it has.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

i did it with my scion XB back in the day just to have extra parts. made a killing off all the parts that i didnt use but its all in how much you can find one for
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

did you have to bid through an authorized bidder? I've been seeing a lot of that on online bidding.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

top score, i found a silk green one going up for auction soon. it's a carbon copy of what i have.
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...RowNumber=218#
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I like the idea in theory. Are you going to be able to view he car in person (from your example auction) to verify it doesn't also have a problematic CVT?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM
μ

You have to be careful when it comes to the electrical swaps. Certain parts are specific to that car, and will not work when moved to another one. Simple mechanical parts like engines, transmissions, suspension pieces should swap without issues if they're the same one in your car, but if you're having DME, EWS, or some wiring problems you'll be unable to use those parts or will spend a lot making it work.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That's right i forgot about the finickity electrical systems in these things.

the general consensus on my local club forum is burn it down and buy something else (trade it in)
I'm just having trouble accepting that i was able to put in transmissions i dug out from under a tree into my jeep and drive away but i can't find a suitable affordable transmission for a mini cooper.

it boggles my mind
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyeuro View Post

... I'm just having trouble accepting that i was able to put in transmissions i dug out from under a tree into my jeep and drive away but i can't find a suitable affordable transmission for a mini cooper.

it boggles my mind
Well I would be the last to want to discourage you in your quest. But in support of not being able to find an affordable [and reliable] transmission replacement, recall that a blown Midlands was the reason I got my car for $1,500 two years ago. By the time I was done with the conversion, I had the wholesale price of the car invested. I thought I knew more than the seller, but I was wrong.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Have you looked into a tranny swap, or are they only effective when going from the automatic tranny in the S to the manual tranny in the S?

Edit*...By a swap I mean finding a car at an auction that has a manual trans. So following your idea, but doing it for the tranny, not for the wiring.

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM
μ

The transmission might be a simple mechanical part, but you can't just swap from CVT to manual on a MINI without a LOT of stuff changing. The brain of the car thinks it is an automatic and is looking for specific input before it will start or really do anything!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'd never go through all that trouble just to have the same transmission again. Go Getrag-6 or go home!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
The transmission might be a simple mechanical part, but you can't just swap from CVT to manual on a MINI without a LOT of stuff changing. The brain of the car thinks it is an automatic and is looking for specific input before it will start or really do anything!
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I really have no idea when it comes to tranny swaps. I have the 6 speed getrag, so luckily that's not something I have to worry about unless mine blows up.

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyeuro View Post
did you have to bid through an authorized bidder? I've been seeing a lot of that on online bidding.
I had a lil different process with the one i bought. It was my buddy's car I just offered the insurance company money before they towed it from the shop