motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Parts Bin Post your For Sale and Wanted information here. No vendors, please!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > The Parts Bin

Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default JCW R50 for sale

If you are unfamiliar with the JCW tuned R50, you can learn about them here, here, and here. Car is in Connecticut, and is a late 2002 (revised suspension).

Click the image to open in full size.

Well life happens, and I had a legitimate need to buy a bigger car. Great, now JCW #522 can be taken off of it's 500mi/wk daily driver duty, and given a life more suited to such a rare and unique car. Except that in the 5 months since I've had the new car, I rarely use the MINI. I need the wagon during the week, and really want to simplify, and a weekend car goes against that. So I'm offering it here first, since many of you were interested and supportive when I installed the kit.

The good:
Nice original Sport package MINI Cooper with an NOS JCW Tuning Kit intalled at 132k. All badges, certificate, and TK brochure go with car. Find another one, I dare you. All my research shows that 26 to 30 of these kits made it to the USA.

Also has JCW Sound Kit intake (NLA).

Getrag 285 6-speed conversion (facelift) with about 80k on the trans, and 30k on clutch, slave, shift cables, all mounts

Decent Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 tires, 205/45/17

Chrome Line interior, with some extra bits.

Three spoke facelift wheel with carbon JCW inserts

Carbon fiber JCW dash

Awesome charcoal houndstooth cloth sport seats. I don't know if they are common, but I've never seen them in another car. Also, with the sport package, you get other goodies such as fog lights (recently replaced), DSC, 16" Daytona wheels (off car, but included in sale) and an R50 specific hatch spoiler.

The bad:
154,000 miles.

various small dings. PDR repairable, but since this was my daily, and I'm not a parking nazi, I just never had them fixed.

Chip in windshield.

Rear window marked from someone who thought it would be cute to run the rear wiper with a shot blade. I don't think there is any fix for this short of replacing the glass.

1" fraying at seam on front of driver seat bottom. I got the car this way, and it hasn't gotten any worse in the last 30k. Seat cover will need to come off to re-stitch correctly.

I only have one key. But it's the full remote key.

Opportunities:
By opportunities, I mean things that should belong in the bad section, but since we are all enthusiasts here, I've elected to leave them unresolved, so the new owner can take his or her own direction.

LCA bushings are tired. I really never noticed this until putting on the sporty PE2s this spring. It's definitely safe and comfortable, but it should be addressed. So now you can go stock (as I would do), or any of the more sporty alternatives.

Struts are original (sport suspension). I haven't driven a lot of MINIs, but they feel fine to me. For a while, I was trying to get a set of JCW red takeoff springs at a decent price used. I intended to install them with a set of new JCW struts when the time came. Now you can freshen stock, lower it, or make it handle. Or just leave it alone - car drives nicely.

I never had the ECU tuned in conjunction with the JCW kit. I was torn with having MINI install the specific tune for this car (foolproof and cheap), or have it custom dyno tuned for maximum results. I had decided over last winter to go with a custom tune locally after loosing time waiting for that RMW visit to RI that was all over NAM last year and never happened. By the time spring came, I had the station wagon, and frankly lost interest as I hadn't been driving the MINI much. So now it can be tuned at the discretion of the buyer. There is no ill-effect by running with the stock tune, but I expect noticable gains to be had, taking advantage of the ported head, etc.

Car is currently on S-Lites. And they have seen better days. I grossly underestimated how badly the heavy wheels would affect acceleration. The handling actually improved, as the PE2s are so much better than the tires I'd previously run. The car was actually quick with the old set, and I had no issues keeping up (or leaving behind) R53s in NEMINI group runs. A lighter set of wheels would make quite a difference. Opportunity here is that wheels are so subjective, most owners would change, anyway. I'm not charging for something you don't want. I personally love the S-lite look, and ultimately don't regret the choice. But I'll bet a set of Imolas would be awesome on this car.

Worth noting:
Battery, radiator, thermostat, and coolant cap are about 8 months old. Everything but (NAPA) battery is OEM MINI. I got stuck on the road with the battery, and had to take the nearest option.

Belt (Continental) and fan (TYC) were done within the last four months.

Sidelights and fogs were replaced due to age last fall (OEM MINI).

Oil changed every 7k using LiquiMoly 5w30 (BMW LL approved group 5 Synthetic) and OEM MINI filters.

Cabin filter just replaced (OEM MINI).

Grill lights are Wipac Stainless with stainless brackets. They are there for show, and not connected.

Brakes done about 20,000 miles ago, using Mintex red box. OEM eschewed in favor of low dust. They perform adequately, and have plenty of life left given my driving habits. My last set of brakes on my previous car (MkIV TDI) lasted 163k for the rears, and over 100k for fronts.

Coolant flushed and changed when I got the car, and again when I replaced the radiator last year using Pentosin Pentofrost NF.

Wires are NGK silicone 7mm, and are about 6 months old.

Plugs have about 20k on them, and are OEM MINI branded NGK 4 prong.

Car comes with a second set of Daytonas, if desired. Tires are not good on those.

Brake (and clutch hydraulic) fluid replaced June, 2011 with Pentosin. It's due for another change per BMW schedule.

I bought this car two and a half years ago from the original owner. It was completely stock, and serviced by a Euro Indie shop, Automotive Edge, in Cheshire, CT after warranty. Seller gave up on car because of blown Midlands
5 speed. Unfortunately, the case was trashed, so I opted for the 6-speed conversion, so I wouldn't have to redo it for the same reason. I've performed all of the work myself. I intended to keep driving this car as my main transportation indefinitely, and cared for it accordingly. But as I said in the beginning, life happens. The car is definitely for sale, but I'm not going to sacrifice it. I'm not really sure how to price this. Easy way would be to put it on eBay, and see what happens (which I may indeed do). It's a rare and interesting car. But it's got high miles, and has seen year round New England DD use since I've owned it. I have somewhere over $8,000 into it, not counting my own labor. But I've also put 30,000 really enjoyable miles on it. If I were offered somewhere in the mid to upper $5k range, I'd accept and be satisfied. Any less, and I'll mothball it until I have more
time to enjoy a second car. It might be a classic by then, and so much the better.

I'm going to get some better photos as soon as I can find my actual camera. In the mean time, PM me for a link to more of my mediocre cell phone shots, all taken on 7/9/13. Car will be for sale locally next week, and is first come, first served.

Last edited by Blackbomber; 07-13-2013 at 01:05 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 PM
μ

This is a screaming deal for a really good Cooper. My wheels are turning thinking how to come up with the cash for this
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

GLWS!! I learned something new today. when i saw the title i did a little bit of a Huh? no way that's not right...

but thats really cool!!! definitely a rare package!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Are you interested in a BMW X5?
please PM me whats your price?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sorry, no trades as I already have the larger car.

I'm open to offers as stated in the listing. I've already turned down $5,000 from an in-person local buyer, so figure between that, and $5,900.

If no one thinks I have a grip on reality, I guess I'll have to enjoy a weekend car. I just got a limited use policy from Grundy (Haggerty turned it down based on age - too new) for $7,000agv 5,000mi/yr at $114.00 per year. So it's not costing me much, other than garage space.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM
μ

Send a message via MSN to Captain Claw

Pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by that7guy View Post
I have a strong dislike for small humans
Old 08-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Claw View Post
Pretty cool
I happen to think your Rabbit is pretty cool

I'd actually consider taking THAT in trade. Too bad my wife isn't keen on the blue. I know this because I had a light blue (lighter than yours) '79 gasser as my first car, and have been trying to find another.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM
μ

I would trade and consider driving it to you hahah

Yeah my paint job is ok for a beginner. If you saw my thread you know what's I've been through hahah

Quote:
Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
μ

I do love my rabbit though. I have like 3 sets of wheels hahha

Quote:
Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'll have to get caught up on it. I followed it in the beginning. Then I got the house, which kept me busy up until now. Then my rental house had a pipe burst, and..... Well I have excuses for days. Anyway, I see pre '81 Rabbits bringing money equaling and exceeding what I want for my car. I don't think yours is quite there yet, but at the rate you are going, it could be, someday. I remember when these cars were still pretty new on the road, and they sold used when I was in high school for $4k or so (for the newer ones, which we now don't like as much). So to pay $6k for one now, when I earn many times more than I earned then, seems like a pretty good deal to me. I just need to build a second garage.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM
μ

I think really all I need now is some paint. I've just spending too much on my mini haha. I was trying to sell a while back but kept getting low ball offers.

All it needs is paint and has 68k on the original motor.

Quote:

Last edited by Captain Claw; 08-01-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM
μ

I just really live my rabbit for how rare it is.

You don't see 2door diesels at at all especially with that low miles and clean engine as interior.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Claw View Post
I just really live my rabbit for how rare it is.

You don't see 2door diesels at at all especially with that low miles and clean engine as interior.
Quite true. Diesels are usually chewed up and spit out. And STILL sell for $4k+ if not rusty.

I do like your black interior, too. My '79 was the first of the Westmoreland cars. Yes, they had the cool square front end, before they mucked it up with the turn signals in the grill, and long tail lights. But it had a matching blue interior. Not so appealing.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
μ

Mine was blue but I fixed that hahha however if you seriously want to trade or think about it I'm down for sure. But you might need a trailer. I have three sets of wheel,two which have brand new tires and some other extra stuff.

Quote:
Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Believe me, I was thinking about it. But for the next year or so, I need to keep things simple - hence selling the MINI in the first place.

I did get fully caught up with your progress thread. It seems you kept the original style dash and grill. I think those were both good moves. Anyone can find a '93 Bitch Bucket dash (same as the '84 Jetta and bucket dash you had). An original pre '81 dash isn't so easy to come by, without being all cracked to hell. Keeps the integrity of the early car status. If it were mine, I'd just add the small metal euro bumpers ($$$), and MAYBE a small duckbill. And those 1/4 flares on the rear. And those Ronal Turbos you had on pg. 3. Or maybe skip the duckbill, and run silver 13" steelies with the small centercaps, trim rings (if you can find them in 13"), and 175/70R13. They actually handle pretty well on 175's as I remember. Thinking about it now, I'd go with the steelies, and use the money saved towards the metal Euro bumpers. Glad to see you abandoned the plastic ones - they look much better on the later US built cars. Yeah, that's one fine car you have there.