motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default Slotted or drilled rotors really worth it?

So next in line on the Mini is some brake upgrading. Switching over to some stainless steel brake lines, Hawk HPS pads (not a final choice yet), some super blue, and rotors. Now the question is are drilled or slotted rotors really worth it on a Mini that only rarely sees "real" track time? Sure they look cool but thats not what I'm looking for. What's your opinion?
2010 DS/B Justa - NM Springs | H-Sport 25.5 Rear Sway | Helix SSK | NM Torque Arm Insert | Custom CAI | DET Tuned Belt Line Blackout | 30% Tint | Blacked Out Headlight Rings, Taillight Rings, Grill, And Rims | JCW Carbon Shift Knob | Custom interior LEDs | Full Kenwood Audio Set Up | 3m Di-Noc In All The Right Places
Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFlurry View Post
Sure they look cool but thats not what I'm looking for.
It won't see much track time and you're not concerned with looks? Not worth it then.

On the street they are mainly for looks. On the track they offer some gains.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have stock rotors, but am also planning a brake upgrade. I was told by several autocrossers the slotted rotors will perform better then The drilled ones. I plan on installing some slotted ones, when time and money permits.

I like EBC 8-)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The slots are really only beneficial when the rotors are pushed to the extremes. AutoX is not hard on brake components so it really isn't necessary. But then they do look really good.........lol

In regards to the pads, IMHO (and many, many others) stay away from the Hawk HPS pads. Instead consider the HP+ or even better the Cool Carbon pads from Bavarian Auto. I have been running the Cool Carbon pads since spring and they have consistently out-performed my old HPS pads by a large degree. I love these pads.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Slots if you are bent on getting something to deliver better performance under consistent load - like at a track day event.

Stainless lines are a solid investment.

Pads - mileage and opinions vary. Read the pros/cons of each and decide accordingly. If you are not at the track much, then the stock ATE pads aren't terrible and easy to obtain. Hawk HP+ is a solid choice with better stopping power though.

So, um, basically what everybody else said...
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Every set of drilled rotors I've had have cracked on me; slotted is always the better option in that ring.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Slotted rotors for performance, drilled for looks on the street. Drilled will help them cool off more quickly, but they'll need to be replaced frequently if you do track days or hard canyon driving, because they will crack at the drill holes.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I only say Hawk pads because of previous experience with them. Had them on my Mustang and they worked out well for such a heavy car. I'm open to almost any thing other than EBC Green pads...lol. Never liked those. And I WISH I could do some canyon carving but there aren't many canyons in Michigan. Lol. The only carving I get to do is a few secret back roads up north and Waterford Oaks when they have track days. I think I'm just gonna stick with the stock rotors as they don't seem to be a definitive "weak point" in the braking system as it stands.
2010 DS/B Justa - NM Springs | H-Sport 25.5 Rear Sway | Helix SSK | NM Torque Arm Insert | Custom CAI | DET Tuned Belt Line Blackout | 30% Tint | Blacked Out Headlight Rings, Taillight Rings, Grill, And Rims | JCW Carbon Shift Knob | Custom interior LEDs | Full Kenwood Audio Set Up | 3m Di-Noc In All The Right Places
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Ferodo DS2500 is my favorite brake pad ever. I've run HPS, HP+, and Mintex OEM-replacements, and Ferodo DS2500 wins hands-down. Donno how well it would do in a Michigan winter, though. They're streetable, but the first step on the pedal in the morning feels a little numb. Beyond that, they're solid. Dump some heat into them by driving aggressively and they grip the rotor furiously.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Thinking the DS25000 would be a bit hairy in the winter months up there (which is like, 8 months out of the year )... Probably stick to something that heats up easier unless swapping pads during the warmer months isn't a huge concern.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Kris Send a message via Yahoo to Kris

I replace the drilled and slotted rotors on my track car every 2 years due to stress fractures. Just do slots, anything that goes completely through the rotor weakens the structure of the disk. Also i hope you like annoying noises because with drilled and slotted with a set of hard pads it sounds like a herd of cicadas attacking your car.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:00 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Ive seen cracked drilled rotors on autocross cars more than a couple times. Go slotted, theyll stay cool and you wont have to worry about them.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

My brakes recipe is:

1. OEM Rotors
2. Tyrol Brake Caliper Bushings
3. WMW Stainless Steel Brake Lines
4. ATE Super Blue Fluid
5. Hawk HP+ Pads

So far, working well. From myexperience, solid rotors get the job done, have a lot chance of failure, and ultimately provide the best contact patch for your brake pads to work properly.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Slotted. They're also good indicators on how much rotor wear you have left in them as well. I've been tracking a lot this year and slots are the way to go. My friend's drilled rotors are really starting to have it's cracks.

If you have the Stoptech BBK, their Street Performance Pads handle really well on the track. I've upgraded to Endless pads now though, so ridiculous stopping power now.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I went with ATE PowerDisc as they were cheaper to obtain than OEM discs. I run them with DS2500, perfect for my mild street driving (also in winter) and less dust than the original pads I run in the rear.