motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
μ

Well done Dave! Amazing performance. I'm so glad to hear you and your family weren't injured.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 AM
µ Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
will you continue cross training the same amount?
I'm planning on doing a couple triathlons this Summer, but really that is just a diversion for the warm months when there aren't many running events.

My real focus is being ready for a marathon PR attempt come the October timeframe. For that I definitely plan to continue to bike a couple days a week. The real key for me is to still have a solid long run on the weekend and at least a couple runs during the week, including a longer run sometime mid-week (say ~70% of my weekend long run mileage). For that longer mid-week run I push the pace more. For the PR attempt, starting about 12 weeks out I will start ramping up the mileage more. The real key for me is to not get injured. That alone is a major objective.

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

triathlons are fun, I did a lot of sprints a year ago. I was just looking at finding one again. My bike has been down though so I have not been riding in a while.

omgzz
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

my new brooks ravenna's

Click the image to open in full size.

had to step back from the minimalist shoes for a bit.

omgzz
Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 AM
μ

Hey everyone, my wife and I got a FREE entry for the Neon Splash Dash run to give away through our little company, so thought I would post it up here for anyone who wants to enter. They have runs going on all over the US, so hopefully there is one near you. Regular entry fee is $55, so not a bad win

http://www.delovelydetails.com/2013/...-giveaway.html

http://www.neonsplashdash.com/
Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUD View Post
Hey everyone, my wife and I got a FREE entry for the Neon Splash Dash run to give away through our little company, so thought I would post it up here for anyone who wants to enter. They have runs going on all over the US, so hopefully there is one near you. Regular entry fee is $55, so not a bad win

http://www.delovelydetails.com/2013/...-giveaway.html

http://www.neonsplashdash.com/
Hey now
Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 AM
μ

I've become a huge fan of trail running lately. I have my sights set on a couple races this fall and I'm trying to decide which to do. One is a 50k ultra marathon in TN. Its going to be pricey, so I'm not sure if I can swing it. The other is a trail marathon. Both races have limited entries available since much of the courses are single track. I'll have to make the decision soon and be quick on the registration.

I've been running more at lunch to build miles. The heat has been getting to me making a short 4 miler tough. I was really worrying about my conditioning until this weekend. I had an 8 mile run planned, but 4 miles in I knew I would hit 10. At 10 I felt great and almost went for the half marathon, but knew I'd get in trouble with the family if I didn't report in. When I checked my pace tonight I saw that I was only a few seconds off the time I ran my half back in November. That was a race and this was an easy run. I was dying at mile 10 in the race, but Saturday I still had much more to give. And the kicker ... My only nutrition was 1 Gu gel and some Gatorade. I felt great all that day.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Bought a pair of these last night, I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about with minimalist shoes

Old 06-30-2013, 05:17 PM
μ

Default Headphone Reccs?

After a lot of trial and error, I've basically been buying the exact same make/model of headphones for the last 10 years. Originally at $10 a pop they were an excellent value. As Skullcandy and Beats headphones drove up the price of headphones they krept up to $20, but now I can't find them on the shelf anymore so I figure its time to look into a new brand. Im open for suggestions for anything around the $20-30 range, as long as they stay in my ears during a sprint and sound halfway decent.

My old favorites:

(http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headpho...200_28/prd/en/)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHS3200_28-PID-global-001_lowres.jpg (36.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by irieman; 07-01-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 AM
μ

UPDATE: So the good news is that I received a tip that Walmart still sells these headphones! The bad news is that meant I had to go to walmart. Even worse though is that they're only $10! (I've never paid less that $12!). I guess I am a Walmart shopper now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irieman View Post
After a lot of trial and error, I've basically been buying the exact same make/model of headphones for the last 10 years. At $10 a pop they were an excellent value. As Skullcandy and Beats headphones drove up the price of headphones, I can't find them on the shelf anymore so I figure its time to look into a new brand. Im open for suggestions for anything around the $20-30 range, as long as they stay in my ears during a sprint and sound halfway decent.

My old favorites:

(http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headpho...200_28/prd/en/)
Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by irieman View Post
UPDATE: So the good news is that I received a tip that Walmart still sells these headphones! The bad news is that meant I had to go to walmart. Even worse though is that they're only $10! (I've never paid less that $12!). I guess I am a Walmart shopper now.
Lol! Did you buy a few??

I should try those out too.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to hendricks488

Didn't do the Neon run like Spud did, but just did the MeanStreets Urban 5K Obstacle run and the Graffiti Run 5K in Indianapolis this month...of course the only real way to do a graffiti run is in a white tux....psh of course...

Old 07-03-2013, 03:02 AM
μ

Man, Awesome thread. Sorry I am late to the party like usual.

You would never believe it but I have become a runner too! All started when I had a crazy high blood pressure situation, the world was spinning and I couldnt focus...went to the doc and he wanted me on blood pressure meds pretty much for life. Couldnt go that route so I cut out salt and most fast food and started running. Blood pressure isnt perfect but its just above normal with no mds. Sill have some dietary issues to work out and it should be good.

Here is my history,

Started running, struggled to run a block, after a few months I could do roughly a mile. Seemed so far and so hard to run a mile even at 12 min miles. Stayed with it and got the distance up some and the time down some. Then I decided to do a half marathon.

First half marathon was Oct 2012 I finished under trained, tired and sore, struggled the last 3 miles but finished with a 2:26 I was pretty stoked !

So next up was huntington half, my goal was to get the 3 races and get the big medal.
My younger daughter signed up to do it with me and we were training hard, was really awesome running with her...then she hurt her knee and was out of the race, knee is good but her passion for running is done. I skipped this race because if we couldnt do it together after all that it wasnt worth doing.

Next up was OC half, I came into this one much stronger than the first, had a goal time of 2:15, finished with a 2:09!! YEAH I was really happy.

So my next quest is to finish a full marathon one year from when I ran my first half and at the same venue. So next up is LONG BEACH MARATHON Oct 13 2013...I am also using a different training method than previous. I have been running for time rather than a distance goal, its been working out really well.

Btw, I am 46, out of shape and overweight lol ( working on the last 2 )

Any of you running any local races or mud runs let me know maybe Ill run with you.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos View Post
Lol! Did you buy a few?? I should try those out too.
Bought two sets. Will pick up more with my next paycheck.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM
μ

Brian, glad to hear you picked a marathon! I was keeping up with you on Run Keeper for a while, but it doesn't play well with my Garmin ... Keeps shorting my mileage. I'm keeping up with my mileage on connect.garmin.com and dailymile.com. I post to strava when I have extra time to upload.

I'll be running my first marathon on October 19 -- Medoc Trail Marathon. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm a bit worried about getting in all the miles I need during the week. I do my long run on the weekend, but my weekday runs are usually confined to my lunch hour. The most I can get in during that time is 4 miles. When my wife's busy season ends in a couple of weeks I'll try to fit in a longer night run.