motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

Just picked up a 2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er to get back into the game, and try out a 29. There's finally some decent single track around here... nothing like CA but I've been dying to get back out there. So far I've only gotten a couple rides on the flat old railroad bed trails around here since the single track is still pretty muddy but I'm digging the 29 so far.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Wheels. So. Big.

Nice ride!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Sirk View Post
Anyone have thoughts on Sette or Fezzari Mountain Bikes?

http://www.fezzari.com/mountain-bikes

http://www.settebikes.com/MountainBikes.html

The carbon frame hardtails seem like decent deals.
I think both make nice bikes for the price. They're cheaper because they aren't a fancy brand names plus they're direct. I've heard good things about their customer service.

The fact that they're not fancy brand names will make the purchase much cheaper, but don't expect to get much when you're trading up later, that's just how it works. In general, mountain bikes don't retain their value well because a quick turn-over on line-ups and models. Mountain bikes are not a good investment, it's slightly better if you buy high-end bikes with high-end parts that you can part out later. Kinda like modded cars.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Vegas_Sirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
I think both make nice bikes for the price. They're cheaper because they aren't a fancy brand names plus they're direct. I've heard good things about their customer service.

The fact that they're not fancy brand names will make the purchase much cheaper, but don't expect to get much when you're trading up later, that's just how it works. In general, mountain bikes don't retain their value well because a quick turn-over on line-ups and models. Mountain bikes are not a good investment, it's slightly better if you buy high-end bikes with high-end parts that you can part out later. Kinda like modded cars.
Yea I figured that. Im not too worried about resale to be honest. I would just like to get something with decent components .... ideally I would get this hardtail for trail riding around my house, and then later on when Im in better shape move up to something high end and keep this as spare

Im really leaning towards the Kings Peak

http://www.fezzari.com/hard-tail-cro...try/kings-peak

If you guys where to buy the Kings Peak what would be the first component you would upgrade? The front fork/shock?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

not an actual picture but i have a Specialized hardrock (but one side of the frame says Tardrock lol)
Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Gary Fisher edition Wahoo
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Sirk, sorry if you've already said this... What kind of riding are you planning on doing? Have you considered renting a couple times to make sure you'd rather go hardtail vs. full suspension?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Sirk, sorry if you've already said this... What kind of riding are you planning on doing? Have you considered renting a couple times to make sure you'd rather go hardtail vs. full suspension?
I think 80% of my riding will be outside my door in the desert. Its a mix of small but some times steep hills and dirt trails with the rocky to hard back dirt.

There are a couple of down hill areas but nothing like doing real down hill on a mountain with a lift.

The rest of the riding will be in UT or CA most likely trails.

This is why I was looking at XC set ups. I was talking to my buddy last night and he suggested that I get a FS bike. I dont really have any FS experience though. I emailed Fezzari last night and the rep there said if he was going to upgrade anything he would do the wheel sets as he said you can save a ton of weight on there. He also told me to look at their Wiki Peak:

http://www.fezzari.com/compare/produ...eak/abajo-peak

as he said its only 3lbs more, and FS and uses the same frame as their Highest end bike (Nebo Peak). My main concern with that bike that I could see from the specs is the rear shock as its a Epicon Air RS9 and the reviews online on it seem to be nothing bud poor.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 AM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

The Wiki Peak seems a step up for sure. My personal opinion is that you'll be disappointed with the component set on the King's Peak if you do anything other than fire roads. Also, I used to be a pretty die hard "hard tail" guy, but now I'm FS all the way. I ride much more intense trails than I used to, but man, it's just so much more fun.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 AM
μ

For what it's worth, I LOVE my Enduro Expert... Minimusprime has helped me tune the suspension and it performs really, really well. After a fresh brake pad change the other day:

Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 AM
µ Leadership

bad ass. I am about to order a 29er
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
The Wiki Peak seems a step up for sure. My personal opinion is that you'll be disappointed with the component set on the King's Peak if you do anything other than fire roads. Also, I used to be a pretty die hard "hard tail" guy, but now I'm FS all the way. I ride much more intense trails than I used to, but man, it's just so much more fun.
Yea the more Im reading the more I think the FS might be the way to go. I might just wait and extra month and get the Alta Peak. Its got their top of the line frame and even better components then the Wiki Peak. I think its something that I can ride not and then as I get better upgrade the components as I break the old ones or as I see fit.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

Default My New Toy

kona Cinder Cone

Old 03-14-2012, 11:44 PM
µ Leadership

yes please. I will take it
Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Banned

I took my new Kona for a little break-in ride around the neighborhood, just on the street. I could not believe how smooth it rode even with the tires and the coasting was equal to my Panosonic street bike. y last Mountain bike was a modded Bridgestone MB3 about 15 years ago so this new Kona is a real treat for me. I am looking forward to getting in some off road time!