motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 09-19-2009, 05:46 AM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcowden View Post
Just my $0.02...

I don't know how low you are looking to go with your suspension, but remember you may want, or need, to install the adjustable lower rear control arms and/or front camber plates to bring your camber back to normal to prevent excessive tire wear. The wider the tires, the more wear you will see on the inside edges without the adjustment.

I've also read that the front and/or rear swaybar links may need to be replaced with adjustable ones after installing coilovers, since the suspension geometry has changed.

Yeah, I'm also debating what direction to go with my R56. The TSW KW 2 coilovers look great, but by the time you also buy adjustable camber plates, you're not too far off from the CROSS setup.

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
Tom

KW is the win for sure. i would have them if i didnt have the bilsteins.

Yes you will WANT (not necessarily need) to get camber plates and rear control arms, but camber isnt the major reason for tire wear,,,,Its your toe settings. a screwed up toe setting really takes a toll on your tires. That being said, camber is your friend when wanting to corner faster in a mini. You will find that lowering the car really doesnt make the car corner faster, hell sometimes it makes it corner slower with excessive understeer. To me adding some negative camber is what really makes the mini handle well. I run -2.4 camber up front and -1.7 in the rear and i dont have excessive tire wear becuase i have a proper alignment. Its not totally necessary to get sway bar links either. Thats mainly if you go SUPER low and change out sway bars. Im still on the stock front sway bar links.

just something to think about
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Werd on the camber. My friend Dean is running -2.5 on all four corners on his RX7. His tires have about 15k or so on them and you can't really see any abnormal wear at all.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 AM
µ Leadership

yea, that is a common misconception with camber and tire wear. I used to think that too long ago.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You'll want to dial in your camber settings according to the tires you have on the car. If you have crap tires and run an aggressive camber setting the vehicle will handle worse than with a less aggressive setup. The reason being you want to set camber to where when cornering the outside tire will have full contact patch. This requires the tire being able to roll over to the rim of the sidewall, with camber that's too aggressive the tires won't have enough grip from the get-go to be able to roll over to the sidewall.

Another thing to think about is the variance of twin-tube and mono-tube setups. If you're going to see track days I would recommend monotube coilovers. If you're going to be doing autocross, from my experience with it it takes quite a bit of time (half an hour or so of waiting in line) to be able to do an autox run which only lasts 30-40 seconds at a time. The reason I say this is because on a track day the vehicle will see more time being driven aggressively than if you were to go to an autox event. Twin-tube coilovers heat up more quickly than monotube coilovers during aggressive driving, which is why KWs often have the external reservoir on the shock body. Monotube coilovers don't really need it because they don't heat up nearly as fast as twin tubes. When coilovers begin to heat up the damping becomes more and more inconsistent and will begin to hurt your lap times. I'm a performance oriented person so from that perspective I won't be buying any twin-tube coilovers. However, twin-tube coilovers have generally been looked at as offering more comfort for the street than when compared to monotubes. I'm not too sure about this as I haven't had a chance to drive a vehicle with twin-tube suspension on street, only on the track.

Another thing to know is that KW's full competition coilovers (3-way adjustable) are mono-tube in design.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:00 PM
µ Leadership

^^ great info. thanks for sharing
Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ok I just want to get a few things straight. First of all, if anyone is familiar with miniboys r50, that's the look I eventually want to achieve.

Yes I'm looking for better handling, I love the way my r53 handles and I don't really want to lose that. But because I'm only going to be driving on the street, I'm also looking for stance/looks as well. This is why I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the v1's or v2's.

Now my biggest questions are when it comes to control arms, camber plates, and swaybar endlinks.

Until I save up for a set of aggressive fitment wheels (which won't be for a while), I'm just going to lower the car on coils and I'll be running my stock 16" R90's. In that case, what's the deal with control arms, camber plates, and swaybar endlinks? I'm assuming I'll need control arms, but can I wait a while to get the camber plates? I'm really not familiar with how drastically camber is affected when lowering the car.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM
µ Leadership

the front wont change so much when lowered becuase the mcpherson strut design. the rear will camber alot depending on how low. At one point i was at -3 camber without control arms.

Here is where i got my suspension stuff
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=858283638

Last edited by Chase; 09-19-2009 at 05:15 PM..
Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
^^ great info. thanks for sharing
Indeed.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Say I install my coilovers and then later on, I get a set of camber plates. Is it relatively easy to install them after the coils are already in or is it better to install them both at the same time?
Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Wake|MCS

It's easy to install the camber plates, that won't be an issue.

To add to the damper adjustability, I agree with Rally. I have PSS9's and have changed my setting 3 times total. Started at full soft, tried full stiff, once I got bored of that I settled somewhere in the middle at 6F/5R. While it is nice to be able to dial it up or down, it's definitely not something you need. I'd save the cash and just get the KW V1.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Another option to look at are Stance coilovers.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 PM
μ

is there any specific order in which you get all the extra bits?

in my rough plan i'd get coilovers, than adjustable control arms, then endlinks, then camaber plates.

is that a good route? or should it be switched up somehow? the other thing i was thinking was beefing up the swaybars and if i did that first i'd get the adjustable endlinks then, no...?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:03 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

V Maxx.

As far as I know, they are essentially copies of the KW V1s. Maybe quality is a little less? I don't know. I've had them installed for about 6 months or and I dig em. I actually like them more than the M7 coilovers that were on the car before.

Let's say you spend $1000 for the V1s. That's $100 less per corner you can spend on wheels and tires if you had gone with the V Maxxs.

I will also give you this bit of advice, pick ONE goal for you car. If you try to go for everyday looks/stance/whatever you wanna call it, just be happy with the performance you end up with. Which still is probably better than stock. If you try to go for performance, give up the goal of trying to be low. Not that a performance minded car can't be just as good looking as a slammed car. The two things can rarely coexist on a street car.

Know what I'm trying to say?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingsan View Post
is there any specific order in which you get all the extra bits?

in my rough plan i'd get coilovers, than adjustable control arms, then endlinks, then camaber plates.

is that a good route? or should it be switched up somehow? the other thing i was thinking was beefing up the swaybars and if i did that first i'd get the adjustable endlinks then, no...?
Coilovers, control arms, and end links should all really go on at the same time. Realistically though, you don't NEED control arms or end links. I'm still running the stock end links.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx

Not to highjack or anything, but what do you guys know/think of the SPAX coilovers? Any bad reviews or experiences??

Thanks,
Leo.