motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Getting Megans, what do you guys think?

Hey everyone,

I've been looking around for coilovers for a while now and it seems to me that the megans seem to the best option. My price range is around a thousand and kw v1's after camber plates and rear control arms are way out of my price range. People are saying that if you switch out the springs in the megans with Swift springs it rides much better, I will probably do this in the future. My question is, is there anything I have missed? Are there other options that after camber plates and rear control arms comes out to the quality/price of the megans?

Another thing, does anyone know where I can get a decent price on them? On waymotorworks they are 850, is that a good price? So far I havent seen anything that can beat that price.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

If you're willing to wait on swift springs, why not be willing to wait on camber plates?

Seems like getting KW's and then getting camber plates later down the road is a plausible option as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Their are many options for "cheap" coilovers.

Every one is going to ask you what you want to do with your car? Slam it? Canyon Driving? Track Car?

From what I have read and gathered you tend to get what you pay for especially with coilovers.

If you think the KW would be the best option for you why don't you wait a few weeks until you can afford camber plates as well?

Or like rally said you dont need camber plates right away...
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

The price from WMW is good. I have the Megans on my MINI. I like the way they feel. You can easily change out the springs which I have done and went to Ebach, and found myself returning to the springs that came with the Megans originally.
For Street use I think MEGANS should reach all your expectations.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Nitrominis; 03-28-2012 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: added second picture
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You make an excellent point Rally, I actually didn't even think of that. But the thing is, I'm only going to be dropping my car a couple inches tops (due to some nasty speed bumps in my apt complex), and I'm never going to track my mini. Its pretty much a daily driver that I want to look clean. I know the kw's would probably be a little nicer, but I'm not sure that I would even be able to tell the difference.

All that being considered I called around my area and I could go pick up a set of megans for $800 the kws being in the 1300 range thats 500 difference, not including the whole camber plates deal which would add a couple more hundreds on it... Are the kw's really almost twice as good? The money isnt a matter of saving up because I have the money right now I just dont know if it would be worth it for me. I think I would rather spend the extra 700 or so on other things.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremesota View Post
But the thing is, I'm only going to be dropping my car a couple inches tops
Heard it all before...lol

In reality, you probably don't even need camber plates, but spend that money on some adjustable rear control arms. On a dd, your back tires will hate you before two months is over if you have more than a 1.5" drop.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ya I'm definitely planning on getting adjustable rear control arms.

Rally, you used to have megans on your other MINI right? How did you like them?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned

MEGANS have more adjust-ability then you could ever use on Street MINI. And in most cases unless you have a lot of patience and some form of device to measure you lateral force you might never feel changes?

As I posted you can work with spring rates and different spring companies to tailor what ride you want from MEGANS.

Megans may not be the hot ticket as with most coil overs for regular tract use. the fluid will heat very fast and the dampening rates changes for the worst. Expensive coil over are not immune to this and careful research not word of mouth is better when choosing for track MINI coil overs.
If you ever decide to go to a really great coil over pm me and I will give to contact to a company that has the test equipment for coil overs. I do not post it because to many have personal opinions abut what is best and it gets to be a highly debatable thread full of none tested data.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

So I went ahead and ordered the megans, they should be here by the end of this month! Super excited to put them on. The only thing I need now are wheels!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
So I went ahead and ordered the megans, they should be here by the end of this month! Super excited to put them on. The only thing I need now are wheels!

Ifg you are interested to see how I arrange the towers for full access pm me and I will show you the pictures. They might still be on my thread Driveway MINI?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Very nice. I'm also waiting on some coilovers to come in
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Did you end up getting control arms as well?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

No haven't picked up the control arms yet. The coil overs are back ordered and wont be here for a while so I still have time to look around. Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:23 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

From what I've read the Hsport's are pretty good. I know hotchkis is a top notch brand
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i have H Sports and i like them. havent given me any trouble as of yet