motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Experience with and review of BC Racing

Well, where to begin.

I bought my BC coilovers almost exactly two years ago from then M3This now Vegas_Sirk when he parted out his MINI. We worked out a great deal and ever since I have been a big proponent of what BC offers for the money.

My only complaint at the beginning was that I just wanted that little extra low.

However starting last summer I began to have issues. It started with the springs binding, only a noise inconvenience, not really a big deal to me. Then progressively over the next few months the car started started to pull as if misaligned but unpredictably. It came on very slowly and initially only at speed which lead me to think in was to do with my having 0 toe. I got it aligned dialed in more toe but it didn't help.

It kept pulling harder in both directions, eating up tires and binding more. Keep in mind I am in Grad School and trying to pay it off as I go so I am really not trying to spend money on the car right now. Finally about a month ago it was pronounced enough for me to decide it could no longer be ignored.

I did some research and concluded it was an issue called memory steer a term new to me. After a quick consultation with my mechanic I ordered new front upper spring perches from BC having concluded that the bearings must be seized.

When the perches arrived I uninstalled my front suspension and began disassembly. As I have come to expect the conditions in Rochester have every bolt and thread totally seized. I have to go as far as drilling out some of the fasteners but I get it to the point where I can take off the old perches. When I finally get everything apart just enough to install the perches I find that the design is slightly different and doesn't really fit. Luckily I have access to a lot of tools and machines through school and I am able to make everything fit.

This however is not the only problem. For those of you that don't know the BCs use a sleeve style lower mount where the shock cartridge threads into the mount which slides into the knuckle. This design has its advantages but as I've said rochester seizes threaded things. So of course the shocks are seized into the lower mounts, and I mean seized, absolutely not removable. On top of this the drivers side shock is blown and needed to be replaced. Too much low, too many potholes, too long, probably.

So for the second week in a row I am on the phone with BC ordering parts and now paying to have them express shipped cause my car is on blocks in a public lot trying to look inconspicuous. Which Sucks, but this is the type of thing that comes with heavily modded cars so in the end its still ok.

Two days later BC calls to tell me the parts on the way may not be right. Sometime in the past year BC updated the design on the Mini coilovers and Im told the parts might not be compatible with what I have (this explains the incorrect perches). I get the parts and sure enough they are very different, incompatible and the real kicker TOTALY BETTER. The design update must have been a big one. The lower mount is much beefier and shorter also the new shock cartridges are shorter, from 411mm down to 387mm (basically an inch). In short everything I wished they were from the beginning.

At this point I contact BC again, kinda pissed, and tell them to fix it. I also expressed my positive opinions on the new design.

And you know what, they came through, I was just notified today that the parts for the passenger side are on their way entirely free. They even included the new updated endlinks which I don't even need cause I already have adjustable endlinks.

Yes the process was long but BC was great to deal with throughout and obviously they did right by me. Im pumped, the parts are gonna come in Monday and I couldn't be more excited for the install.

If people are interested Ill post pictures of the differences in the parts.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 AM
μ

That is good to hear. From what I can see they are growing in popularity, and I like their designs. I've recommended them to a few people after reading decent reviews and seeing their products firsthand. I helped a friend install their coilovers on his Mazda and felt they were some of the best looking, most quality components for the money. I'll be considering them as a top contender for any future applications.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Suggestion to "Rochester" proof, when you are bolting everything back up. Add some anti-seize or Loctite 222 (removable) to the fastener threads. I went the Loctite route and adjusted my fastener torque to 85% to adjust for the Loctite K value. This will prevent corrosion from "wicking" into the threads.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip's View Post
Suggestion to "Rochester" proof, when you are bolting everything back up. Add some anti-seize or Loctite 222 (removable) to the fastener threads. I went the Loctite route and adjusted my fastener torque to 85% to adjust for the Loctite K value. This will prevent corrosion from "wicking" into the threads.
Thanks, yea I use anti-seize on everything now. I'll have to look into Loctite 222 though.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

BC coils are fail
Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshe_ian View Post
BC coils are fail
If you're going to offer a negative opinion then at least you can explain why.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

two explainations for walshe could be
1. Troll
2. Signature fail

great review, exactly what good reviews should look like.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It's great when a company stands up and does the right thing.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Great write up Rev
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just got the car back on the ground. Right now I have the car at the same ride height as before. Initial reaction is WOW, the ride is fantastic, the springs aren't binding and the car drives straight (even without an alignment). With the struts being shorter I am able to use every bit of suspension travel available (the lock rings are spun up about 5/8"), I may lower it more in a few weeks but for now I am going to enjoy it like this.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM
μ

Send a message via MSN to ducks

Did you take any pictures of the new coils? Wonder what they have changed as rebuilding mine.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I don't know about the entire assembly since the only updated parts I have are the lower mount, spring perches and shock cartridges but those parts were all totally different from mine (now ~2.5 years old).

Old-left New-right
Click the image to open in full size.

Part that slides into knuckle is longer and has more wall thinkness.

Tab is thicker 3/16"

Old shock length vs new (measurement posted above)

New spring perch pictured (don't have a pic of the old)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM
μ

Send a message via MSN to ducks

Thanks! Do you have to order a whole new topmount or can you just order the part that has the pillowball in it (bottom right in the picture)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have only heard good things about BC Racing coils. I am glad that they didnt screw you over!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks View Post
Thanks! Do you have to order a whole new topmount or can you just order the part that has the pillowball in it (bottom right in the picture)
I just got the new spring perch, the part with the big ridges, they have ball bearings.

The entire camber plate assembly is $200 new (per pair). I don't know if they sell the components individually, I hope they do because I'm sure I'll want to replace my pillowball down the road.