motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default Need some help baggin a cooper

Ok ill try to be quick. This isn't my first time with bags my last setup was a 77 c10 with accuair on a porterbuilt suspension. Now saying that I loved the accuair setup and never had a problem with it. Now im trying to bag my 13 cooper s and have boiled it down to two companies, accuair or the bagrider kit. I know at first people were using the vw mk struts and modifying them to work. Me personally I don't like having to weld tabs to a strut and heating it up. Now bagriders have a MINI specific kit out but I cant get an answer from them if the new kit comes with the sway bar links welded on already or not. I also like the way the v2 management system works off air pressure instead of having to mount ride height sensors. Other question if anybody can help is what is the $500+ option for the slayer suspension? And then theres the accuair kit for the MINI that I havnt seen anybody use or even mention yet, anybody have any good or bad news on that? And those of you running air what size tanks and lines you using? My c10 was heavy and 3/8 lines and 1 5 gallon tank and 2 444c comps was needed for it. Basically I could use a lil help with whos using air (looking at Ralley) to see what kits you are using and what you like and dislike about it.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropnstylez View Post
Ok ill try to be quick. This isn't my first time with bags my last setup was a 77 c10 with accuair on a porterbuilt suspension. Now saying that I loved the accuair setup and never had a problem with it. Now im trying to bag my 13 cooper s and have boiled it down to two companies, accuair or the bagrider kit. I know at first people were using the vw mk struts and modifying them to work. Me personally I don't like having to weld tabs to a strut and heating it up. Now bagriders have a MINI specific kit out but I cant get an answer from them if the new kit comes with the sway bar links welded on already or not. I also like the way the v2 management system works off air pressure instead of having to mount ride height sensors. Other question if anybody can help is what is the $500+ option for the slayer suspension? And then theres the accuair kit for the MINI that I havnt seen anybody use or even mention yet, anybody have any good or bad news on that? And those of you running air what size tanks and lines you using? My c10 was heavy and 3/8 lines and 1 5 gallon tank and 2 444c comps was needed for it. Basically I could use a lil help with whos using air (looking at Ralley) to see what kits you are using and what you like and dislike about it.
Rally put his together before there were any "kits". His was all custom and made from thorough research, testing, trail and error. It doesn't sound like anybody has a true plug and play setup that won't require at least some "massaging" yet.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

don't mind a lil massaging just don't like welding on struts that are full of gas. Just would like some help with the differences on these two kits and any helpful hints from doing their setups.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have the Slayer Series suspension by Bag Riders. It is literally plug and play except there are no sway bar tabs up front so mine is just sort of sitting there. A little noisy at times but its not too bad. They have camber plates, damper adjustment, and threaded bodies so you can spin the bag up or down. The kit is really good quality using all airlift parts, bag riders just calls it the slayer series because they put the kit and struts together in house instead of airlift. I also happen to have the Autopilot V2 management and I absolutely love it. I know the accuair management is probably a little more accurate but I love the preset ride heights you can set with the Autopilot and the digital display on the controller. I have never heard anything about an Accuair kit but that doesn't mean it's not there. In my opinion, go airrex, or the slayer series. Plug and play, and they're awesome quality. But from my understanding, the airrex doesn't go as low as the slayer series. So I guess it's whatever you would rather have at that point.

Oh and I am using a 5 gallon Accuair tank, 1/4" airlines, and a single 400cc compressor.

Also, I think the airrex sway bar tabs may fit on the Slayer Series struts so I'm sure you could get some of those tabs from Airrex to attach the sway bar. That's what I plan on doing.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

I would go bagriders.

Accuair is basically just selling D2 struts since they don't produce struts of their own like AirLift does.

D2 kits are mediocre. It's an air option of D2 coilovers which are your generic JDM-made coilovers....akin to Megan, K-Sport, etc. It'd probably fit and go decently low....but I wouldn't run them.

Accuair management is good, but the height sensor setup can be annoying/tedious with sensors breaking rather regularly if installed even slightly "off".

We run airlift management and struts on all of our builds now and love them. The performance can be really impressive if set up correctly.

Dorbritz makes swaybar links that bolt onto struts. Is there any reason these couldn't be fit to the MINI struts? I haven't seen the airlift setup for MINIs in person.

http://www.dorbritzdesigns.com/colle...ft-performance

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 PM
μ

Oh, and use 1/4 line if you want standard lift/drop speeds. I ran 1/4.

1/8 if you want subtle speed

run 1/2 if you want a good laugh....I'd bet a MINI would really bounce up in the rear on 1/2 lol.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yeah what he said. ^^

Apparently the Dorbritz design sway bar brackets are a little too wide to fit on the threaded bodies of the struts. At least, thats what Rali at bag riders told me. That's why I am considering getting the Airrex ones to see if those would work.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:09 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Just the help I needed. Thanks. By chance can I get any pics of how you mounted stuff? Going for ideas here. Looks like I'll be ordering a bag riders slayer kit ( the lower the better right lol) is it really worth the extra cash for the slayer? Thanks for the help. Looking into sway bar tab solution now. I have to look tomorrow at work (I work at mini dealer) If it's just a tab looks like I'm welding. I'll cut the tabs off some worn ones and just weld them up
Old 02-28-2014, 04:25 AM
μ

Also keep in mind that you won't be actually welding on a strut.....if these struts are anything like other Airlift struts, you can take the threaded body off and just weld to metal without worrying about the gas tubes.

This may require different length end links though.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:26 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropnstylez View Post
Just the help I needed. Thanks. By chance can I get any pics of how you mounted stuff? Going for ideas here. Looks like I'll be ordering a bag riders slayer kit ( the lower the better right lol) is it really worth the extra cash for the slayer? Thanks for the help. Looking into sway bar tab solution now. I have to look tomorrow at work (I work at mini dealer) If it's just a tab looks like I'm welding. I'll cut the tabs off some worn ones and just weld them up
You mean the air tank and compressor and everything or as in the struts?
Yeah to be honest, right now, it probably is worth the money. Since Airlift hasn't come out with their kit yet, I vote to just spend the money for the slayers. I got lucky and bought the first set of the Slayer Series made for the R53 used off of a guy that was testing them for bag riders and he had only put 1100 miles on the struts so I got all four struts for really cheap then bought my management new. Only spent $2800 on the entire set up and now it's at $4600 new.
As for the sway bar solution, I think you should look into the airrex sway bar brackets too because I would hate for you to have to weld a tab onto the threaded bodies if you can just put a bracket on and not have to do any welding.

I'll post some pictures of everything in a new post!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Here are some pictures I have of my set up.

The struts
Untitled by NathanWaddey, on Flickr

The general idea of the trunk set up. This was before it was actually installed.

Here you can see where the manifold and tank are laid out. Ignore the hideous T fitting on the water trap. Needed it to make the water trap fit in the trunk with the tank.

Front strut installed.

Also, this was my stock 17" s lites clearance from the bag with 16mm spacers and 215/45 Falken 512's. So you should probably get some spacers for the front just in case.

Autopilot V2 controller illuminated.

And how the car looks now!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanrw View Post
I think you should look into the airrex sway bar brackets too because I would hate for you to have to weld a tab onto the threaded bodies if you can just put a bracket on and not have to do any welding.
Well you wouldn't weld to the actual threaded part.....you'd spin off the bottom "body" piece which is just a metal tube and weld onto it. It would take maybe 5 minutes.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Wont need spacers im on 17x8.5 et 30 with 204/40/17. You guys are helping a ton thanks. What ignition power are you guys using? DME or fuel pump? Just making notes now till it gets here. Its going to be strange to be on bags and not dragging lol. Any idea where to find the airrex sway bar mount? I went to their website and couldn't find anything. Cant wait ill be joining the small club of bagged mini's soon. Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 PM
μ

What year is your car? 2013? Good luck finding a proper ignition signal....the stupid car sends power to almost everything for at least 30 minutes after you shut the car off. It's BMW's comfort attempt.

I gave up after a few hours of searching the usual sources and simply wired in a switch to send my own "ignition" signal.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Of course BMW had to go and redesign the simple right. I'll ask one of my techs and let you know if we find anything. I hate having a nice setup only to have to use a cheesy switch to turn it all on. Besides the battery would it really hurt to leave it hooked up to ignition source and just have it turn off after car goes to sleep? Or did the dme detect a draw and leave system on? I upgraded to the 444 compressor as we'll so I hope the extra amps are ok.