motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM
μ

Default My 10 stage deep paint correction process.

Some of you guys may have seen this on Facebook already, but I dabble in paint restoration/detailing in my free time. You may or may not know that I drive a Dodge Ram Daytona pickup as my daily. As with any DD, it takes a beating even when you baby it. This truck runs through the rain, mud, snow, ice, you name it. Gotta get me to work and back, it hauls the toy around, pulls 8,000 lb. Trailers... everything. But I still like to keep it nice.

So after a particularly nasty winter I decided it was time to strip the winter coat (grime) of the old truck and make her shiny and smooth again. Somehow I had accrued a ridiculous amount of scratches (mostly just very light) and a lot of them were on my bed cover or roof from what I can only assume is from trees of something. A good chunk of the scratches required wet sanding. The bed cover took up a lot of time because the whole surface is paint matched aluminum. It's almost 35 sq. ft. Of surface area alone. Haha

So I broke out my detailing kit. 8 or so different foam pads, 7 compounds, 4 polishes, 2 sealants, and 3 waxes. Decisions decisions... here's what I settled on.

Used my Porter Cable 7424xp to get the job done. My 10 stage deep paint correction process.

First things first, you have to wash the car well to even know what corrections you have to make. I like to rinse, then power wash then foam it soapy water and let that break down the gunk rinse with the power washer again, them use a soapy mitt. Then rinse with the power washer again before I do a final rinse using the "sheeting method." If you don't know what sheeting is, watch this YouTube video. It changed the way I dry all of my cars. I also use a 2 bucket wash method. One bucket for clean soapy water, and another to rinse the mitt. Do this once, look at the amount of crap in the "dirty" bucket, and then tell me it's not worth the effort.

YouTube video on "Sheeting": http://youtu.be/VtoWk9thSEI

Anyway, after all of that comes the detailing process. Here's what I chose this time.

1) Clay Bar

2) Wet sand deep scratches

3) Meguiar's M105 ultra-cut (Yellow pad)

4) Meguiar's M105 ultra-cut (Orange pad)

5) Meguiar's M205 ultra finishing compound (white pad)

6) Meguiar's M03 machine glaze

7) Poorboy's EX-P sealant

8) Meguiar's NXT tech wax (2 coats)

9) Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba paste wax

10) Adam's Super VRT for all of the flat black accents/wheels/trim.

I would say all in all, I spent about 6 hours Friday night, 8-10 hours on Saturday, and 9 hours Sunday ( had to squeeze in Church). I probably used about $50 in material (estimate because I buy in bulk). It was a freaking chore, but totally worth it. My truck is scratch free and has a show car finish.

Last edited by MtyMous; 03-24-2014 at 08:02 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 PM
μ

Pics or it didn't happen, right?

Please excuse the potato quality. Took the pictures at work on my Galaxy Note 3.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 AM
μ

Now that I'm back at my computer, these pictures really are terrible representations of my work. haha
Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

My god. Where are you located? I am about to drive to you and pay you to do this to my R53.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to Bumble78

I will buy you some Coco's if you come to Yokota and hook up my car. I will even get you the garlic cheese nan bread.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
μ

Lol. Thanks guys. I used to do this for friends and really only asked that they cover materials. Last time I had a professional body shop quote me for the same level of work it was about $900. And that was low. haha. So that's why I bought all the stuff to do it myself.

Bumble, where are you at? I see you're at Fussa, which is right outside of Yokota. I'm actually a PM for the HF Global Comm System and we have assets in Tokorozawa. I don't have any projects out there any time soon though. We just finished a big one. Otherwise I probably would meet up with you.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to Bumble78

I am at Yokota, we got here in Nov. I work on the C-130s here. Let me know if you head this way.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 PM
μ

Awesome. My dad was a C-130 pilot. Easily my favorite airframe. Trying to get my next PCS onto an airframe and possibly do a career broadening tour as a 21A for 18months.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Damn man. Serious props. That looks clean. I'd hire you
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

That looks really good!

I took a day-long detailing seminar back in 2004 that was given by Meguiar's. Best free money I've ever spent! I'm waiting for the weather to finally improve so I can take a crack at both of our cars.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 PM
μ

Yeah. I'm self taught and have spent a lot of time watching professionals and learning from them. I figure if their technique is good enough for detailing a $2M Ferrari, it's probably good enough for my pickup. Haha.

I learned a lot on my mini when it had just OK paint. And it was non-metallic black, so it really tested me on a few things.

It has truly paid for itself at least 3 times now removing light scratches, etc.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm too nervous to try wet sanding...

Great results though!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:30 AM
μ

Thanks. And wet sanding isn't that scary as long as you take it slow and know your paint/how thick it is.