motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 06-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx
Default Excessing rubbing all of a sudden?

The other day I took the driver's rear wheel panel out to get to some stupid bolt (only to later realize I didn't have to remove it), and now every time I go over the smallest of bumps I hear a significant amount of rubbing on that side only. Passenger is fine...

I don't think I altered the panel (I'm calling it the panel, I'm not sure - the black plastic thingy behind the wheel - the wheel well, perhaps?). I installed it exactly how it was when I removed it, making sure to go inch by inch and "tuck it in" to the wheel arch. Both sides look exactly the same...

I'm running H&R springs, stock everything else, with 17x7.5's. The springs have been on since '03, and just looking at the car, you can tell the rears are very much lower than stock.

My questions are:

Do springs "expire" and just not support much of the car after a long period of time?
Would lower control-arms help at all?
Could it be that since I drive the car mostly by myself the driver's side has now significantly more wear than the passenger's?? That sounds awkward since I'm only 130lbs...

Please remember that I'm on a very tight budget, so I actually wouldn't want to spend any money, if it's something fixable with a DIY...

Thanks,
Leo.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Six years on springs with the stock suspension probably means that your struts are toast, although I wouldn't think that (i.e., blown struts) would be causing your rubbing issue. With springs that old though, you're probably having some sagging issues causing that uneven settling.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Are you sure you re-installed the panel properly? Seems like that's when the rubbing started.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

maybe check the heat shield behind the wheel well, they bend easily and can force the wheel liner to rub.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Are you sure you re-installed the panel properly? Seems like that's when the rubbing started.
I made sure, yeah - visual inspection and all bolts and screws are installed correctly. When the car is just sitting there, you can run your fingers through the gap and feel that the distance on both sides are pretty much the same. The driver's side is a little (maybe 1/8") lower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnr13 View Post
maybe check the heat shield behind the wheel well, they bend easily and can force the wheel liner to rub.
I did bend the heat shield, but only behind the exhaust. Nothing on the driver's side rear since that's where the spare tire is.

Thanks so far,
Leo.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 AM
μ

if it is rubbing the in the wheel well there "should be" some sort of marks (scuffed plastic, rubber, etc.) where it is rubbing; I'd say find out exactly where, and go from there.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCountry S View Post
if it is rubbing the in the wheel well there "should be" some sort of marks (scuffed plastic, rubber, etc.) where it is rubbing; I'd say find out exactly where, and go from there.
You could say that again... On both sides, upon inspection, I found strips of the wheel well plastic completely gone. And the tires look fine... I believe the majority of the plastic has been slowly taken away from minor rubs. I really checked the tires on both wheels while rotating them (the other week) and both look like in new condition. I was impressed, actually...

The marks happen towards the rear of the car. Like, at 2 o'clock if you're looking directly at the wheel on driver's side, and 10 o'clock on passenger's side. Is that clear? I'm not sure. lol.

I've noticed that while it's just me driving, the rubbing is "normal" (like it was before, hardly there unless I really hit a bump or something), but whenever I have somebody in the passenger seat, the rubbing intensifies. Now shouldn't that be only on the passenger's side?? It's weird...

And please, no fat jokes. Girlfriend is quite fit.

Take care,
Leo.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
μ

If the rubbing has occured more on both sides now and you only removed one inner fender liner, I'm thinking it's time for new struts.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM
μ

I understand the 2 and 10 oclock part. But don't know why its there.

I get rubbing only with a couple passengers and I have lowering springs, but it seems to be on the plastic side trim, not the inside well. My money is that your springs are on their way out.

If you have a passenger the weight will be transferred through all the wheels, but more so on the side they are sitting on. So some of that weight will be transferred to the driver's side rear and increase the rubbing a bit.