motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Lineup Bringing you the sexiest rides team Ķ has to offer...

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > The Lineup

Old 07-18-2018, 12:08 PM
μ

Hi All,

Another project completed - a Stereo ‘upgrade’.* I put that in inverted commas, because really, it was more of a cleanup than an upgrade.* Previously, the car had a two channel Alpine amp and a fairly old Pioneer CD stereo, which suited the interior well.* In itself, that amp was nice, but it was horrifically mounted in the frunk. It just looked ghetto and had to go.*

Click the image to open in full size.

So I pulled that amp out a few months ago, and the old Pioneer head unit was just not up to the task by itself.* When the volume was up, the backlight in the head unit would go dim with each beat of low frequency. haha…

Anyway, I’ve had my eye on a Kienzle head unit for some time now, as they look relatively sedate and can handle bluetooth audio and phone connection.* They also come with 2 USB inputs.* The unit I bought is the mechless one, that is, it has no CD player and is only half the size by depth.

Link to Head Unit:*http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/K...ooth+Car+Radio

In addition, I grabbed a retro sound amp. It’s a 4 x 45WRMS unit that is quite small.* I didn’t have high expectations for this one, other than it can give me a little quality and power.* *

Link to the Amp:*http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/R...onic+Amplifier

The previous owner had put focal splits in the front door, and there’s some ancient pioneer coaxial speakers in the parcel shelf. *

I’m taking this ‘upgrade’ process in three steps:

1. Sort out the wiring mess
2. Install this new head unit, amp and wiring
3. Clean and sound treat the doors, around the speakers, and the rear parcel shelf.

This post is about points one and two, as I’ve not started the third just yet…

Sorting out the Wiring & Harnesses

It was a bit of a mess under there.* One of the previous owners had done a bit of splicing, basically to set up an ISO harness for the Pioneer head unit.* Also, for some reason, they’d ditched the wiring in the left door speaker for their own (so my wiring diagram didn’t match up with the car).

So I basically soldered up the wiring into the ISO connectors, heat-shink and fabric wrapped to look OEM-ish.* I also obtained an illumination feed from one of the un-used plugs in the row of switches that includes the cigarette lighter.

The orange wire here is illumination, the blue is antenna power.

The intent here, is that I can plug in any head unit, with or without the amp, using ISO connectors.

I then wired up an extended harness so that I could place the amp under the drivers (RHD) seat.* That harness was approx 1.3m long.

Because the amp has the wiring integral (ie. no spade connectors etc), I didn’t have to mess around with that.* The Amp basically has ISO plugs at either end for input and outputs. I didn’t bother with RCA (line-out) plugs, and just used the ISO connection to the amp.

It’s also not a huge power amp, as the power and ground wires are 14 gauge - quite small.* I ran the amp power wire through the firewall, coming out below the fuel tank, running along with the other earth and power wires to the battery. It’s relatively well hidden.

Bonus Harness

In Australia, the 964 wasn’t delivered with the same Head Units as the US and ROW. Dealers in Australia installed a Eurovox unit. *My original head unit was long gone, but I managed to obtain one about two years ago, and it has been studiously sitting in a cupboard here. * The harness is intact. * So what I did was wire up an ISO to this Eurovox plug harness. So if I ever want to plug the Eurovox head unit in, it should plug straight in.

I have an original manual for this stereo as well if anyone is looking for info from one...

Unfortunately, this unit needs a code to unlock, which I will sort out at a later date.

Installation

Oh man, rolling around on my back and knees, fiddling with the gross under-lay / sound deadening on the drivers side was no fun. But this was the obvious location for the amp because there was room for it, there was an earth source nearby, and there was already a cable run for the factory amp that once resided there.* So my cabling went along there, below the drivers feet, up the heater pipes and along under the dash.

I tested everything worked (which it did!).

I then went off and downloaded some line signals for setting the gain on the amp from here:

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...27-Audio-Files

I used the multi-meter method to determine the voltage using this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOUd3NkOyQ

Anyway, I never got up to my calculated voltage of 13 point something something volts, the voltage always seemed to peak around 12 volts (interesting...).* So I set the gain at 1/3rd around the dial for front and back and am happy that I’m not going to blow anything up (well, maybe the rear speakers because they are crappy).

I buttoned it all up and decided I’d have more of a play on the weekend…

(It’s winter down here.* It goes to around -5 degrees celsius over night, so this was a slow process going out to the garage in the evenings and rolling around on the cold concrete)

So far I’m happy.* The display is a bit limited, so it struggles to show intuitive file and folder names off the USB. But that’s no big deal, as the bluetooth audio works a treat, and that will be my primary source of tunes.

Also, it’s a 964, so the sound environment is seriously compromised.

The backlighting on this head unit is brighter than I expected, so I'm going to fiddle and see if I can dim it down.* Also, I need to go back and look at the power switching, as it is turned on independently of ignition position, ie. I have to manually turn it on and off.

For now I’m happy, but next up will be sorting out the sound deadening in the doors and rear parcel shelf. I’m not a weight weenie, but I won’t go too silly either.* I think I’d like to just give the speakers a fighting chance.

Tit + Bec = '09 AB JCW // '90 964 C2 // '15 R60 CCS // Australia
Old 07-18-2018, 12:08 PM
μ

Hi All,

Another project completed - a Stereo Ďupgradeí.* I put that in inverted commas, because really, it was more of a cleanup than an upgrade.* Previously, the car had a two channel Alpine amp and a fairly old Pioneer CD stereo, which suited the interior well.* In itself, that amp was nice, but it was horrifically mounted in the frunk. It just looked ghetto and had to go.*

So I pulled that amp out a few months ago, and the old Pioneer head unit was just not up to the task by itself.* When the volume was up, the backlight in the head unit would go dim with each beat of low frequency. hahaÖ

Anyway, Iíve had my eye on a Kienzle head unit for some time now, as they look relatively sedate and can handle bluetooth audio and phone connection.* They also come with 2 USB inputs.* The unit I bought is the mechless one, that is, it has no CD player and is only half the size by depth.

Link to Head Unit:*http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/K...ooth+Car+Radio

In addition, I grabbed a retro sound amp. Itís a 4 x 45WRMS unit that is quite small.* I didnít have high expectations for this one, other than it can give me a little quality and power.* *

Link to the Amp:*http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/R...onic+Amplifier

The previous owner had put focal splits in the front door, and thereís some ancient pioneer coaxial speakers in the parcel shelf. *

Iím taking this Ďupgradeí process in three steps:

1. Sort out the wiring mess
2. Install this new head unit, amp and wiring
3. Clean and sound treat the doors, around the speakers, and the rear parcel shelf.

This post is about points one and two, as Iíve not started the third just yetÖ

Sorting out the Wiring & Harnesses

It was a bit of a mess under there.* One of the previous owners had done a bit of splicing, basically to set up an ISO harness for the Pioneer head unit.* Also, for some reason, theyíd ditched the wiring in the left door speaker for their own (so my wiring diagram didnít match up with the car).

So I basically soldered up the wiring into the ISO connectors, heat-shink and fabric wrapped to look OEM-ish.* I also obtained an illumination feed from one of the un-used plugs in the row of switches that includes the cigarette lighter.

The orange wire here is illumination, the blue is antenna power.

The intent here, is that I can plug in any head unit, with or without the amp, using ISO connectors.

I then wired up an extended harness so that I could place the amp under the drivers (RHD) seat.* That harness was approx 1.3m long.

Because the amp has the wiring integral (ie. no spade connectors etc), I didnít have to mess around with that.* The Amp basically has ISO plugs at either end for input and outputs. I didnít bother with RCA (line-out) plugs, and just used the ISO connection to the amp.

Itís also not a huge power amp, as the power and ground wires are 14 gauge - quite small.* I ran the amp power wire through the firewall, coming out below the fuel tank, running along with the other earth and power wires to the battery. Itís relatively well hidden.

Bonus Harness

In Australia, the 964 wasnít delivered with the same Head Units as the US and ROW. Dealers in Australia installed a Eurovox unit. *My original head unit was long gone, but I managed to obtain one about two years ago, and it has been studiously sitting in a cupboard here. * The harness is intact. * So what I did was wire up an ISO to this Eurovox plug harness. So if I ever want to plug the Eurovox head unit in, it should plug straight in.

I have an original manual for this stereo as well if anyone is looking for info from one...

Unfortunately, this unit needs a code to unlock, which I will sort out at a later date.

Installation

Oh man, rolling around on my back and knees, fiddling with the gross under-lay / sound deadening on the drivers side was no fun. But this was the obvious location for the amp because there was room for it, there was an earth source nearby, and there was already a cable run for the factory amp that once resided there.* So my cabling went along there, below the drivers feet, up the heater pipes and along under the dash.

I tested everything worked (which it did!).

I then went off and downloaded some line signals for setting the gain on the amp from here:

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...27-Audio-Files

I used the multi-meter method to determine the voltage using this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOUd3NkOyQ

Anyway, I never got up to my calculated voltage of 13 point something something volts, the voltage always seemed to peak around 12 volts (interesting...).* So I set the gain at 1/3rd around the dial for front and back and am happy that Iím not going to blow anything up (well, maybe the rear speakers because they are crappy).

I buttoned it all up and decided Iíd have more of a play on the weekendÖ

(Itís winter down here.* It goes to around -5 degrees celsius over night, so this was a slow process going out to the garage in the evenings and rolling around on the cold concrete)

So far Iím happy.* The display is a bit limited, so it struggles to show intuitive file and folder names off the USB. But thatís no big deal, as the bluetooth audio works a treat, and that will be my primary source of tunes.

Also, itís a 964, so the sound environment is seriously compromised.

The backlighting on this head unit is brighter than I expected, so I'm going to fiddle and see if I can dim it down.* Also, I need to go back and look at the power switching, as it is turned on independently of ignition position, ie. I have to manually turn it on and off.

For now Iím happy, but next up will be sorting out the sound deadening in the doors and rear parcel shelf. Iím not a weight weenie, but I wonít go too silly either.* I think Iíd like to just give the speakers a fighting chance.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Ķ Leadership

So what do you think so far?
Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nice upgrade, good job on getting the wiring to look neat as well!

Radio doesn't look out of place in the interior. A friend of mine spent ages finding a retro looking stereo for his Peugeot 205 GTi, he went with a Continental unit in the end.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:52 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamez View Post
So what do you think so far?
It's definitely better, but that's no feat.

I think I need to add a noise surpressor. Just need to work out if it should be between the battery and the amp, or between the amp (providing power to) the head unit.

Next up, I have to replace the rear speakers. They're crap. I'll also see if I can re-enforce their mounting positions as currently the rear parcel shelf is a flimsy bit of board.

There are focal splits in the front. I think they'll be ok, but I'll also see if I can get a little sound deadening in there and a solid mount around the speaker.

There's some small dents in the doors, so I'll get the paint-less dent repair guy around before I start sticking sound deadening in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo View Post
Nice upgrade, good job on getting the wiring to look neat as well!

Radio doesn't look out of place in the interior. A friend of mine spent ages finding a retro looking stereo for his Peugeot 205 GTi, he went with a Continental unit in the end.
Thanks!

I think the Continental unit and this one have the same 'guts', just with different fascias. I wonder if the Conti unit would suit the 964 better with the orange lighting...

Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Samtrak

if only i had three thumbs up.... two will have to do for now!

MINI RSR- 2004 MCS______MINI....FTW !
1990 R32 GTR sedan
1986 Toyota Van
S54/E36/8 2001 M Coupe SOLD
DD Slugbut the WRX Wagon SOLD

seriousrrry
Old 07-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to beken Send a message via Yahoo to beken Send a message via Skype™ to beken

I like Rotel amplifiers too.