motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Chalk & Cones Autocross, what else?

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Chalk & Cones

Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default Choosing wheels/tires

So I just finished my first season in Novice, but as my car sits now, I'll be in SMF next year. Still considering whether I want to pull the s/c pulley as it's the only thing keeping out of STX.
One of the big changes I want to make is a more appropriate wheel/tire setup. I'm currently on 17x7 Traklites with crappy no-seasons on them. I see a lot of setups here with 15"xWide wheels, but it seems they all have a very aggressive tire on them.
My only issue with this is that the main local auto-x club has a street tire index that includes most classes, most pertinent to me being SMF and STX. The only catch is that the minimum tread wear rating must be at least 180.
Since there seems to be a lack of wide 15" tires that have at least 180 tread wear, I'm thinking of doing 16x8 with 225/50 tires.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

falken rt-615 have a wear rating of 200 and are IMO awesome for autox. they warm up quick and are sticky. a little too gummy for track but fun for autox.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

I'll keep an eye out since I have a lot of time to get ready, but those seem to be pretty rare in 15"
Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnr13 View Post
falken rt-615 have a wear rating of 200 and are IMO awesome for autox. they warm up quick and are sticky. a little too gummy for track but fun for autox.
We run these on our ChumpCar. They aren't acutally that gummy on the track. They held heat well for the car we were running. Even though we did get them heat cycled quite a bit.

I recently purchased some Motegi MR125 for AutoX along with a set of Star Specs and some WMW Studs because going with studs you have a waaaaay larger group of wheels that will fit. You also have the option of Hancook RS3's which are a very nice tire as well, except for they arent as sticky as the Star Specs in the rain.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3band1t View Post
We run these on our ChumpCar. They aren't acutally that gummy on the track. They held heat well for the car we were running. Even though we did get them heat cycled quite a bit.

I recently purchased some Motegi MR125 for AutoX along with a set of Star Specs and some WMW Studs because going with studs you have a waaaaay larger group of wheels that will fit. You also have the option of Hancook RS3's which are a very nice tire as well, except for they arent as sticky as the Star Specs in the rain.
RS3's are horrible in rain. Literally ran off the track on a tight corner, I came in a little too fast, but needless to say, that was the last lap for my late afternoon anyways since the track got wiped out from rain. But I'd choose RS3's over SS for my trackdays.