motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Suspension Resources

Thought I'd start a thread to drop useful ZN6/ZC6 suspension articles into so that we can reference later.

Edmunds has an excellent suspension walkaround to familiarize yourself with the stock suspension:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

Interesting that there isn't really a front subframe. Just a cross-member and a couple of braces to supplement the crush rails.

One thing minimusprime and I noticed when installing my exhaust is that they've placed a shield coming off of the rear trailing arm to keep aggressive wheel/tire fitments from making contact with the brake line. Cool detail. You can see it here:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:03 PM
μ

So, I'm actually having a problem with the shield you mentioned. I noticed shortly after installing the wheels and coilovers that the handbrake cable you're talking about had some of the rubber insulation rubbed away on both sides at the same spot. It's routed just like in the picture, and there is around 8-10mm between the metal and the wheel, yet the rubber behind the strap is damaged. I can't see how it isn't from the wheel, but also can't see how it is, hahaha. Either way, I'm going to bend the strap back some this weekend and wrap some additional rubber hose around the cable to prevent further issues down the road.

As for the actual suspension setup on this car... I love how simple the design is. I was able to install the coilovers on mine in my garage with very few delays. The damper adjustment and camber plate access seem to have been designed to be simple to reach, too.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
So, I'm actually having a problem with the shield you mentioned. I noticed shortly after installing the wheels and coilovers that the handbrake cable you're talking about had some of the rubber insulation rubbed away on both sides at the same spot. It's routed just like in the picture, and there is around 8-10mm between the metal and the wheel, yet the rubber behind the strap is damaged. I can't see how it isn't from the wheel, but also can't see how it is, hahaha. Either way, I'm going to bend the strap back some this weekend and wrap some additional rubber hose around the cable to prevent further issues down the road.
Huh. Have you been able to inspect it fully loaded? Maybe under full loading the lowering brought the cable against the bracket or something. I didn't notice any wear on mine, but I'm bone stock as far as suspension is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
As for the actual suspension setup on this car... I love how simple the design is. I was able to install the coilovers on mine in my garage with very few delays. The damper adjustment and camber plate access seem to have been designed to be simple to reach, too.
Good to know.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
μ

Great info.
OddJob - 01 Forester
Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 PM
μ

Check out the subfame movement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDfJ_zYFPcs
OddJob - 01 Forester
Old 01-20-2014, 01:58 PM
μ

The thing I wonder about when swapping out bushings/mounts is when you replace one what happens with the others? For example, the movement on the differential bushings was pretty significant either way, but once one mount restricts movement the other still has to move and will be forced to pick up the slack. I do feel like the movement under load is a bit excessive, but I'm hesitant to replace one or two bushings.

Obviously the other option is to replace ALL of them, but then you've added significant stiffness and vibration, not to mention cost.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:42 AM
μ

That was my thought as well. I did pick up the Sub-frame bushings but makes me want the Diff bushings as well. We added all these to my wifes STI and did not notice any extra noise from the diff or anything.

But at the same time I do not want to turn this awesome car into a chatter box.
OddJob - 01 Forester
Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM
μ

Another thing to consider is whether the factory is using any elastokinematics in the design. In other words, are they using bushing compliance to accomplish any useful alignment dynamics? I can't really say without getting under the car and examining how the bushings and the suspension geometry interplay. Many cars will use bushing compliance to introduce a bit of dynamic toe-in under cornering loads (MINI, for example) for added stability, which can be useful or detrimental depending on what you're trying to accomplish with the car.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM
μ

Valid point. I would think that would translate over to items like the control arm bushings. Not sure how that would play into something like the sub-frame or Diff mounts.
OddJob - 01 Forester

Tags
86, ae86, brz, circuit, coilover, coilovers, dampers, damping, fr-s, gt-86, hachiroku, lowered, lowering, rebuild, scion, shocks, springs, stance, subaru, suspension, touge, toyota, track, tuning, zc6, zn6