motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Exhibit Hall A place to display your photography and art.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Exhibit Hall

Old 01-29-2014, 06:13 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

There is one huge benefit Lightroom has over Photoshop and that's in allowing you to edit RAW files directly. In Photoshop, you're basically forced to convert to PSD using Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). What this means in practical terms is that if you're trying to work with a photo with a wide dynamic range, and you want to bring back shadow detail and get more detail out of blown highlights, you can do so by just editing those areas directly within Lightroom. In Photoshop, you're forced to do multiple ACR conversions (overexposed to bring out shadow detail, underexposed to bring out highlight detail, and neutral), then build a composite of those photos. Most of what you'll be doing in photography can be handled more quickly and effectively in Lightroom, but you should have Photoshop as well for more involved manipulations with intricate selections, layers, etc.

I don't know anything about Aperture since I'm a PC guy. I'd go with Adobe's stuff though, so that you have the option to easily switch between PC and Mac should the need ever arise.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

I used Photoshop personally for all my images. I think for light alterations to photos or some quick editing Lightroom will work great. If you are going to do any heavy modifying to images Photoshop can be complicated but youtube can be your best friend .
Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Samtrak

Batch Processing LR
Unique Awesomeness PS

Adobe FTW

MINI RSR- 2004 MCS______MINI....FTW !
1990 R32 GTR sedan
1986 Toyota Van
S54/E36/8 2001 M Coupe SOLD
DD Slugbut the WRX Wagon SOLD

seriousrrry
Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Adobe without question. Lightroom works better with Photoshop, and because Photoshop is the uncontested emperor of photo editing software, Lightroom should get the edge because it plays nicer with it. MrBattle mentioned renting Lightroom and Photoshop. This is what I do. I pay for Adobe Creative Cloud and couldn't be happier with it. I use the majority of the Adobe products, Photoshop on a daily basis. The old model of paying for a new version in the thousands of dollars every few years is outdated so I applaud the Creative Cloud subscription model. I'm paying beans for the latest versions of the entire Adobe lineup for what would ordinarily cost tens of thousands over just a few years. You won't regret it.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
μ

The cloud is a good idea if you need/want Photoshop, but if all you want is LR it won't take you long to rack up a higher cost by renting it than you would just by buying it IMO.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for all the input, guys. I ended up just buying LR5 (it's only like $80 or so), and have so far been very happy. Until now, my only editing/processing software was Nikon View NX2 on my old PC. I can't wait to get up to speed with LR and PS!

By the way, can any of you recommend some good photo sites/blogs/forums? I'm at the stage where I just want to absorb as much information as possible.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
μ

www.photography-on-the.net is the best photography forum I've found. It is Canon-centric but none of that really matters if you're just looking for inspiration or techniques.