motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Exhibit Hall A place to display your photography and art.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Exhibit Hall

Old 06-09-2008, 06:37 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MarlaSinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Canon did change the mount at some point, but it was 21 years ago, and they aren't planning on changing it again AFAIK. For example, the lenses that worked on the AE-1 won't work on the 40D today. Didn't Nikon try a new mount at some point, but it was unsuccessful? I forgot now...

Interesting.. looks like they changed it in 1987. Somehow I don't think that is cause for concern. Also, I just realized I spelled Canon wrong about 65416531 times.

I'm sure at some point in the history of Nikon, they have also changed their mounts.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaSinger View Post
Interesting.. looks like they changed it in 1987. Somehow I don't think that is cause for concern. Also, I just realized I spelled Canon wrong about 65416531 times.

I'm sure at some point in the history of Nikon, they have also changed their mounts.
Nikon has changed mounts, but they're still (as far as I know) backwards compatible to some degree. You can use the old lenses as long as you don't mind manual focus, which most don't.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
μ

as far as technique is concerned, I think actually looking through the viewfinder is kinda important. most people transfer their "point & shoot method" from their old P&S camera to their new (D)SLR and this will probably lead to similar results (and some dissappointment). (D)SLR's offer so much more but you have to take some time to make the best of it. Look at what's in the corners, stuff you want and don't want, lines that may look good going into a corner, etc. Move around and zoom in & out and take a few shots and check them on the screen. Then take some more. This moving around has gotten me some really good (mountain bike) shots, and some poison ivy & scraped up legs as well

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to F.G.

I love all this info this would be a great addition to the exhibit area with all the pics like with a sticky and what not!

"The Goofy, slightly misunderstood Cooper"

I Build Jet engines and am a certified level 1 BMW/MINI Tech, so ya I know what I'm talking about...

MOTORING ID ZOOM017
Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
Weddings....I've done a few but don't know if I like them yet. The ones I've shot were not friends but were aqaintences. I didn't like the bridezilla factor.
shooting weddings is kind of what I imagine my own personal version of hell to be like.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

No preference on Canon or Nikon. I am curently have a Nikon D70s w/ a 18 -200 lens. For what I do most of the time Ireally like this lens. I do alot of horse/ mule shows (kids are into it), some car photo's and scenery. Its very versatile and saves me from having to quickly changes lenses. (how I broke my last 80 - 300.. dropped it).

Previous camera (still have) was a 35mm (film) Minolta, then swithced to the digital point and shoots - never really liked them, convient yes, but also very frusterating and limited.

Nik
Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I shoot Canon Digital 10D and 450D with Rebel G film and HV10 Video. I've got an array of EF and EF-S lenses both name brand and off brand, after my first I wont buy a non L lens now even if it means a long wait. I'm a firm believer there is far more value in using the camera than what camera you shoot, once exception being specialty (ultra high speed, marco, deep space, IR, etc.)

Here is a link to a composition thread I started on the NAM, where I got some input of photogs that I look up to their skills. I tend to leave my daily cream of the crop there for critiquing and have noticed improvement with my satisfaction over the months that it's run.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ad.php?t=77597

I also spend hours looking through photos on various sites and forums, taking note of what I like and what doesn't interest me. I look for the occasional bits of inspiration as well. I'm assembling a small collection of items to start getting into rigs, and am currently hunting a cable for a separate specialty technique (under wraps until I get a success).

My biggest difficulties right now are finding good locations and almost all my photos of are a very limited selection of subjects (same few people and MY MINI )

As far as PP, I've learned a few good techniques, tutorials are invaluable resource for me. But it's also driven home the point, the image has to be 95% there in the recording to make that good image that 5% more great one after the post processing.

Here's a link to my galleries (if you haven't seen that thread) that also keep most of my photos semi well organized...
http://www.zoto.com/site/#USR.motoron:AG.albums
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

hey guys this is a good thread idea especially for photo newbs like me, i have a rebel xti and two lenses, but very limited know-how. ill just keep quiet and read the posts from you all in the know!!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
μ

This is so awesome! I was just gonna start a thread like this.

So here's my question...
What's the proper technique to change lenses out in the field? I got a 70-300mm IS USM lens for my birthday and plan on taking it with me out of town this weekend but I know I won't want to shoot with just that lens. I just want to keep everything nice and clean.
-G
Old 06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I've never heard of a 'proper' technique, I just know what I like to do. First, I make sure the camera is off. I will sit or kneel so I can have the body in my lap with the lense pointing up to the sky, with the lense cap on of course. Ill have the second lense in hand or in my lap with both caps on. Then I quickly remove the body end cap off the lense while its pointing down, so the lense cap on both lenses are always pointing up and covered. Right after that body side cap is removed I rotate off the lense, replace it with the one I want, then put that body end cap on the lense that just came off. The whole process take 30sec or less. Then you're ready to go.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygriff View Post
This is so awesome! I was just gonna start a thread like this.

So here's my question...
What's the proper technique to change lenses out in the field? I got a 70-300mm IS USM lens for my birthday and plan on taking it with me out of town this weekend but I know I won't want to shoot with just that lens. I just want to keep everything nice and clean.
-G
just get every thing you need out and ready before hand and move fast. I always get the new lens on the camera before I put the cap back on the one I'm removing and put it away. It's a lot easier to get dust out of your lenses than your camera body.

and get your self a rocket blower! ...if you haven't already

Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaSinger View Post

This is not a sex toy thread.....
Old 06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
μ

Cool. That's kinda what I was doing before, I just wasn't sure if there was something different I should do. Thanks for the help guys and I'll look into that blower Marla. I have a blower but it's kinda crappy.
-G
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

Susan?!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Nulli Send a message via Skype™ to Nulli

I hope you aren't talking about me!