motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Feature Articles *NEW* The place to look for our latest feature articles!

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > Feature Articles

Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 AM
μ

Default Stoo Goes Artsy

Stoo Goes Artsy
by Emily "stoopidgirl" Martian

A few months ago, I went to a friend's house. While hanging around in her living room, I noticed some books of patterns on how to sew some little, plush monsters. I'm a pretty crafty person, and haven't sewn since high school (that would be about 13 years ago). I instantly thought, "I don't need no stinking pattern!" so I sat down and doodled my little heart out until I came up with a semi usable pattern. Luckily, I had a friend willing to donate a sewing machine to the cause . I spent a few days creating the first batch of around 24.

Some of the first batch (see the MONSTER Thread for more photos and adoption options).

Click the image to open in full size.

I soon posted them up on motoring|underground for adoption, wondering if I was even doing something people would like. Within three days, I had adopted them all out, had a whopping 20 person wait list, and BAM!!! Monstery Goodness was born!!!

Here it is, four months later, and I have made almost 150 of these little critters. I've also now started making purses and will soon branch out to other items. Every monster is different, whether it be the fabric, buttons or shapes I choose. They have also been officially named ISMs (Improperly Sewn Monsters) and the purses are FOFs (Form Over Function).

I was recently contacted by a Salon here in Wilmington, NC called The Rockin' Roller asking if I would like to participate in their first ever punk rock art show. Hooray!

The evening began around 7 PM and, immediately, the crowd started rolling in.

I was lucky enough to have the booth right by the front door, which worked out great. People would enter and immediately feel the urge to squish and love on the monsters. In fact, I saw one guy squish one for close to have an hour! It was almost disturbing, but I sure do hope he adopted that little guy because I can tell he will be loved.

This is me showing off the little guys.

There was all sorts of cool art at the show. Lots of paintings, some ink art, jewelry, and even Gig Poster art, which still has a very large underground following.

The guy on the left is Kenyata Sullivan, who has been a huge staple in the underground music scene for many years (he was the main influence for one of Tools greatest albums). Naturally, he was like a moth to a flame with the Gig Posters.

Tiffany snagged herself a cool necklace.

Robbie (Cape Fear Tattoo) and Shannon (one of the participating artists) adopted two of my monsters.

My sister and nephew also showed their faces.

The evening ended around midnight, which was coincidently the time the keg went dry. It was an awesome experience and went very well. Much like the MINI community, it's great to see artists supporting each other. There were many pieces sold and many happy faces. There were probably 100 attendees throughout the night and nobody was disappointed. I can't wait to do it again

I packed up my remaining little monsters and headed home for bed.

For the future of my Monsters, when I get a website going, I have a goal. I want to hook up with a children's organization and have people be able to purchase and donate monsters to needy children or challenged adults. There is no greater feeling than making a living doing what you love and helping people smile by doing it!

Thanks to everyone who has helped support what I do!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 AM
μ

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: