motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 AM
μ

The rotors have the be the right thickness, mounting depth, hub clearance, and have the same install design (where the screw bolts into the hub, etc. I would imagine that figuring out the rotors could be the most difficult part.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to imspencerwithanR53 Send a message via Skype™ to imspencerwithanR53

i'm a noob. dammit. lol I'm sure we can find another car with the same rotor specs as ours but in a 5 lug. It'd be hard , but maybe. I'm just digging myself a whole. Back to square one... Custom rotors.

And I would rock more expensive wheels if my budget was so inclined. ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinGreene View Post
I fail about everything.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

the idea is to find/use another rotor from another car that works (and a new caliper bracket). that way no crazy custom ****, you can just go to pepboys and get a new set of rotors.

getting custom wheels gets you 1 set of wheels... and the market to sell them to someone else is small. hubs allow you to play in other people's markets, getting new, used, and reselling with someone else. plus, with custom you're still limited. hard to get a nice exposed-lug 5 spoke design to work with 4 bolts.

so, 5x112 may be better? i think 5x120 is too difficult (doesnt fit or he can't find rotors or something)

changing the thread pitch obviously isn't an issue. i'm not sure what he had in mind as far as bolts/nuts. you guys prefer lug bolts or studs and lug nuts?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Cool rotor solution sounds good. I just wasn't sure what his plan was

I prefer lug bolts.

Studs would need to be short, or wheels like RS's won't fit with their centercaps. Then when they're short, it makes running spacers hard.

From a sales standpoint, if you're gonna do it, I'd probably go 5x114. That allows all the JDM wheels and 17" RS's etc. I'd personally prefer the 5x112, but there are only a few of us Euro loving MINI owners. Then if a few people want to run 5x112 I guess they could get wobble bolts.

Quote:
getting custom wheels gets you 1 set of wheels... and the market to sell them to someone else is small. hubs allow you to play in other people's markets, getting new, used, and reselling with someone else. plus, with custom you're still limited. hard to get a nice exposed-lug 5 spoke design to work with 4 bolts.
I don't know, custom 4x100's are pretty easy to sell off. You get to play in 5 pretty large wheel-whore markets in the car community....mk3 VWs, Miata, Honda, e30 BMW's, and Scion...and they all use similar small size 15-17" wheels. The 5x112 market is a bit more difficult because those cars are so much larger than ours. You're then looking at sizes from 17-22. I'm not sure on the specifics of the 5x114 market, but it's generally around 17 and may have better luck with some of the smaller sizes.

Last edited by Rally; 10-13-2009 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

I'd buy a set of 4, but like others said, under $500... just doesn't make sense to spend more than that when you could do it for cheaper. (ie: adapters, wobble bolts, redrill, etc.)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

For the JDM hub bolt pattern best thing would be get MK4 Supra Turbo rotors as they are 5x114. You would only be able to run 17"+. I am actually running them redrilled for 4x100
Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

At first thought I was going jump in and say that I was down for a set, although reading through the issues presented.. I'd have to say I'm perfectly happy with my 17" RS Re-Drills, spacers, tuner lugs... It would be nice to have a wider range of wheels available but the cost sounds to good to be true... let alone the need to change brakes..etc.
I want to run the brakes I have as is... and if the cost gets to high... Custom wheels would be my next bet since I could still re-sell my RS's due to not many 17" RS's available in 4x100...

To swap hubs and then pick up new rotors, and a nice set of wheels... you are in the price range of customs easily when all is said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro View Post
For the JDM hub bolt pattern best thing would be get MK4 Supra Turbo rotors as they are 5x114. You would only be able to run 17"+. I am actually running them redrilled for 4x100
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
μ

price is definitely the maker or breaker; but damn! glad to see someone thinking of this type of stuff. I've been wrestling with some thoughts along these lines (new hubs) to increase the "wheel pool" because I just don't want to go smaller than 17s, I actually see alot of killer choices in 4x100 but they are usually 15s or 16s , 17s are like hen's teeth for most of the wheels I like, unless I go custom (and I'm working on those ). It would be very nice to have a much larger selection at reasonable prices. Drop spindles are another awesome idea

Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to jbkoopa

how about 4x100 to 5x112 adapters?
$350
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4169376&page=1
Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

does anyone know if the r60 hubs will fit r56's?????
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 AM
μ

Send a message via MSN to ducks

They won't
Old 11-14-2014, 02:12 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Default Bringing back an old thread

5x120 you do have a lot of choices for wheels. You also have a lot of choices for BBKs. Now as cool as this would be why not just run adapters and still keep the MINIs brakes? I have considered converting from the MINIs 4 lug to 5x120 but I just don't see it working. My question is with adapters could I change the MINIs brakes to a 5x120 brake and just put the adapter onto the MINIs hub?

Tags
4x100 to 5x114.3, 5 bolt, 5 lug conversion