motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

This weekend I decided to tackle a new project. I got an innovate air fuel ratio gauge but I didn't have anywhere to put it. I decided I like it where the radio was.

Click the image to open in full size.

After the removal of the radio, I cut out a plate or plexiglass with all of the holes. I covered that in fiberglass and molded the holes so the gauges faced the driver. I then covered that in bondo and painted it black.

I routed the radio wires down below the console. I cut slots in the down tubes for the tabs on the radio to let into.I had to sand down the side of the tube where the radio was hitting to be able to have the tubes close enough together.

Still have some fitment and paint issues to work out. Hope you guys like it.

-Hayden
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Very nice man! I had never seen gauges put there on a MINI.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thank you, I wanted to try something a little different
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Ricky, yea I wanted to have something a little different and I didn't think it would look right to only have one gauge on the a pillar. This was the next best thing cause the steering wheel got in the way of all my other choices.

Hayden
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

This weekend was all about car work for me. I removed the fenders from the zee max body kit and started to smooth them as they had waves and cracks in them. That is still a work in progress. Also, I dropped the car off at Track.one to get a Megan Racing cat welded in and also the bung for the wideband gauge. Trucker did an awesome job and I love going to them to get work done. Here's a quick picture of the welds.

Also, I purchased a barely used BSH lower motor mount. A lot of people complained about the vibrations but to me it was worth it.I now have this paired with the TSW upper mount. And here is a picture of the old and new motor mounts.

Lastly I purchased a set of Helix 380cc injectors. I am going to wait until I get my wide band gauge working before I install them.

-Hayden
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Good call on the lower mount. The two paired together do bring some crazy vibrations at times, but after driving with them installed for a couple weeks it is all hardly noticeable.

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

I love the driving feel is awesome with them both on. I had vibrations at certain rpms and after putting on the BSH, it seems like I still have them but they are at higher rpms.

Last edited by shaggy11; 02-08-2013 at 01:44 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

After getting my wideband gauge hooked up and running, I finally got to put in my Helix 380cc injectors. Here is a picture of the old compared to the new.

After watching the gauge a little, here are a couple numbers I have come up with. With the stock injectors at WOT at 6500rpm the wideband gauge read between 11.0 and 11.2. With the 380s, in the same circumstances, I was seeing numbers between 10.2 and 10.6. Overall the power feels smoother and there seems to be a little more pull around 4000rpm. Now it is time for a tune!

-Hayden
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Dang. You're getting ready to pump some power out of that thing aren't you?

By the way, what do you do about emissions with that cat? Wouldn't that trigger the CEL?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Are you running the 380s without a tune? And have you looking into what the target AFR should be at WOT with those injectors? I'm currently running 550s and looking for a target AFR of 11.4 at WOT and 14.7 at idle. I'm not sure if it varies between injectors or not, but 10.2 seems a little low on the fuel side.

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
µ Leadership

wouldnt 10.2 be on the rich side? meaning more fuel?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
wouldnt 10.2 be on the rich side? meaning more fuel?
I was under the impression that the lower the number the more air there was. But if you lay it out in a math sense, air/fuel, that thought doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
µ Leadership

Hmm i was under the impression that going over the 14.7ish mark is lean and under that is going more rich?

I will say that i am not the person to talk to about this haha, but just thought i remembered that much anyway

And seeing how he went from dirty old 330cc injectors to 380cc injectors, i would assume it would go a little on the richer side?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Hmm i was under the impression that going over the 14.7ish mark is lean and under that is going more rich?

I will say that i am not the person to talk to about this haha, but just thought i remembered that much anyway

And seeing how he went from dirty old 330cc injectors to 380cc injectors, i would assume it would go a little on the richer side?
I thought I had heard that the lower the number, the more air in the equation, because more air is going to cause a more powerful combustion. But what you're saying makes sense, that the new injectors would flow more fuel in the same conditions.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03EmCeeS View Post
I thought I had heard that the lower the number, the more air in the equation, because more air is going to cause a more powerful combustion. But what you're saying makes sense, that the new injectors would flow more fuel in the same conditions.
well, i get confused here as well haha. I could be wrong