motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

If you are looking at sporty and dampening adjustable air for a Mini, check out

http://www.airsociety.net/2011/12/mi...ng-air-airrex/
http://www.airrexsuspension.com/

Click the image to open in full size.

Their R53 racecar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGpgtlz9EoE

some of their assorted cars
http://www.youtube.com/user/airrex008/videos
Old 06-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblackminis View Post
Nathan, do you know where he got that kit? At what height did you drive the car, slammed, daily driving height or a performance height? Did it feel bumpy or "soft" at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Some people don't agree with me, but I always subscribe to the notion that you do things right the first time around if you can save up the money to afford it.

You shouldn't have to hack the car with that kit. If anything you have to grind the struts a bit.
When I drove it it was pebble pushing and was still pretty stiff and rode great, could still take turns pretty quick (would rub of course) and it feel grounded and sporty. Basically, I rode around with his Rotiform BLQ's tucking a little bit of the wheel in the rear and it still rode pretty stiff yet comfortable. He said the damper was on the softest setting too. What he has is basically the Mini kit on the bagriders website. MkV fronts and AOS rears.

As Rally said, all you have to do is shave the powder coating off the bottom of the strut and possibly grind your knuckles out a little bit. Other than that, bolts right up. The rears you could have installed in 45 minutes. Fronts may take a little bit of time.

I vote just bite the bullet and get air. Just because you can raise the car up 3" from completely aired out doesn't mean you ever have to. You could roll around at 5 psi if you really want to... Im not saying there's anything wrong with static, I'm still on vmaxx, but I think in the long run the air set up is definitely the better bet. It just makes sense to put your money towards something that when you get sick of being stupid low all the time, you can change it on the fly. Especially if you have a car packed full of cargo or people.

I'm not sure if I will be keeping my R53 for much longer but no matter what car I end up with after the whole thing is settled, it will be on bags. Even if there isn't a specific kit for it. I'll get the universals and do a little welding and get it on the ground. It just seems like the most logical choice in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Some people don't agree with me, but I always subscribe to the notion that you do things right the first time around if you can save up the money to afford it
Words of wisdom right there.

I've been through it all before and do it right, do it once.

On a side note, that bag riders kit looks to be pretty good. I have been tempted to go down the air path, however in this nanny government of ours, airbag suspension is illegal in 99% of scenarios.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BPB View Post
Words of wisdom right there.

I've been through it all before and do it right, do it once.

On a side note, that bag riders kit looks to be pretty good. I have been tempted to go down the air path, however in this nanny government of ours, airbag suspension is illegal in 99% of scenarios.
I don't know how you do it....
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Man, you guys are tempting me too much. I think I may have to go for this air ride shenanigans.

Would I be able to install these myself? Or is a shop necessary? Installing/uninstalling coilovers is second nature to me for reference.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndBlackMINI View Post
Man, you guys are tempting me too much. I think I may have to go for this air ride shenanigans.

Would I be able to install these myself? Or is a shop necessary? Installing/uninstalling coilovers is second nature to me for reference.
You could easily do it yourself as long as you take your time with running the air lines and stuff. Just keep basic physics in mind when determining where to put your airlines. You also need to check for any clearance issues when you get them installed but other than that, you'll be golden. Won't be hard at all. Especially if you have ever installed a sub or anything in a car. Same concept with the power source for a compressor.

By the way, if you can install coil overs, you can install bags. Same concept. You just have to shave out some of your knuckles and shave the powder off the strut to get them to fit.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

That's good to hear. That significantly reduces the overall cost going in the this and makes it that much more tempting.

Do you guys know the main differences between the kits? All that I can tell is that the controller is different. Am I missing something?
| Quicksilver Catback Exhaust | Accessport | Bag Riders | Forge FMIC | Megan Control-Arms | BBS Style-5 | ALTA CAI | ALTA 19mm RSB | Retrofitted Xenons w/ Black Housing And Red Shroud | Yakima Roof Rack | Tints | Black sports stripes | Shorty Antenna | Chrome Delete | A-C Stealth Door Handles | JCW CF Shift Knob |
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblackminis View Post
That's good to hear. That significantly reduces the overall cost going in the this and makes it that much more tempting.

Do you guys know the main differences between the kits? All that I can tell is that the controller is different. Am I missing something?
Links?

I think it's mostly a difference in management
Old 06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...ANAGEMENT.html

| Quicksilver Catback Exhaust | Accessport | Bag Riders | Forge FMIC | Megan Control-Arms | BBS Style-5 | ALTA CAI | ALTA 19mm RSB | Retrofitted Xenons w/ Black Housing And Red Shroud | Yakima Roof Rack | Tints | Black sports stripes | Shorty Antenna | Chrome Delete | A-C Stealth Door Handles | JCW CF Shift Knob |
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
μ

Yup, just different forms and levels of management.

There's far far too much to explain, but there are plenty of discussions about it on vortex.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM
μ

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been stated by others, except that your sig pic is way too big.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

All I know is all those options are confusing as hell.

Could bag pressure (make them stiffer) be controlled individually? As for when there is a load in the car.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr53 View Post
All I know is all those options are confusing as hell.

Could bag pressure (make them stiffer) be controlled individually? As for when there is a load in the car.
Yes, corners can be controlled individually. Some of management will take that into consideration, others will not and you will have to add the pressure yourself.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanrw View Post
I don't know how you do it....
Neither.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

So I could ride at a very low height and control the pressure and make it very stiff at that ride height? Or would I need to make it fully inflated to get that stiff feel?