motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Exhibit Hall A place to display your photography and art.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Exhibit Hall

Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Editing software?

So, I lost my job in Sports Marketing about a month ago, and I've decided to go back to school for graphic design, with some photography on the side. It seems that this crowd has not only impeccable taste in cars, but also possesses a wealth of knowledge in the design/photo realm.

My main question for this post is about photo editing software. I've always used a PC, but I have accepted the fact that I'll be getting a Mac in the very near future, and I assume I'll be able to get by with iPhoto for the time being. Maybe an upgrade to Aperture is worthwhile? What do you photography types use? Lightroom? Photoshop?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tyler
Old 01-26-2014, 04:45 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

Well, let me chime in! I'm a mac user and also a mac technician

The good thing about iPhoto is that you'll be able to upgrade to aperture very easily, since they can both read the other's library file (meaning you won't have to import or export photos when you upgrade). Choosing between iPhoto / Aperture and Lightroom, however, is a big and important decision to make early in your use of the apps, because it is not by any means simple or easy to switch after you build a library of several hundred GBs of photos. That being said, I personally use aperture but many many many many of my friends who I work with and are photographers highly recommend I switch to Lightroom. But again, the switch will be nearly impossible, and as I add more photos, it becomes that much harder to switch -- I personally think they are correct, however, that Lightroom is better.

Feel free to ask away if you have any more questions!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for chiming in!

What do you think are the big benefits of going to Lightroom from Aperture? I've heard LR has a very intuitive workflow/organizational component, but what beyond that? Does LR actually have deeper editing capabilities?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

For personal use or do you hope to work in this field? Adobe products are entrenched in the commercial world and if you want a job you need to be at least familiar with how to use them. However, for the short term it will depend on what they use in the classes you take.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 PM
μ

When I went through this decision, it really came down to one thing. iPhoto/Aperture only work with Mac computers, but Adobe works on both. Unless you only intend on ever using Mac computers, I would go with Adobe.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM
μ

^ I agree completely. My brother does some serious graphic design/editing. He majored in Graphic design as well. Got away with using Mac completely during school (probably helped a bit to be honest) but as soon as he got out, he wanted me to build him a PC that could render faster and larger things as well as video. It was significantly cheaper to do this with a PC.

You may want to use MAC for 90% of what you do, but it's always nice to have the flexibility. You never know. I'd go Adobe as well. I use it as an amateur and It's pretty easy to pick up the basics but allows significant room for you to build into a professional. Especially with all the other software that complements it.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

That's a good point -- I would say Lightroom does have a more intuitive setup, as well as the reasons the others mentioned. I personally never thought of this because I don't plan on switching back to a PC, but it is a very valid point.

I think Lightroom is the way to go, and I do kind of wish I had chosen LR before I started photography.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Oh PS, LR also has a wayyyyy better filesystem structure. Aperture just holds things in one file called "Photo Library" while Lightroom sorts by year, Month, then day. Much better.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:35 PM
μ

It's never too late to switch IMO, Lightroom is incredibly simple to use.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM
μ

I just made the switch from Aperture to Lightroom 5. I'm glad I did it pretty early in the learning stages of my new camera, because as you say the library change is a bit time consuming. Honestly, I kick myself for not making this switch earlier. Aperture offered a few of the basic elements that I gain from Lightroom, but LR5 is so much simpler and has a lot more to offer. Within 3-4 photos on LR5 I felt comfortable with most of the standard adjustments, and I had already created a generic edit to apply to all photos first which will speed up my editing significantly. Add to that the fact that I'm uploading to Flickr directly from the software now... ok, I could go on and on. If you're not doing HEAVY editing with layers and whatnot, you'll be very happy with LR5. I picked it up on sale on Adobe.com for $119, but if you're going to school you can probably get it cheaper through your program as most offer discounts on hardware and software needed for your studies.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I really like the fact that you can make a generic edit. Almost all of the shots I took for a recent project needed the same treatment, and being able to edit them all at once would have been awesome.

LR5 it is. Thanks again for all the feedback!

TF
Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 PM
μ

Since you mentioned you're going back to school, make sure you get the student discount, it's well worth the effort.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Oh yeah, I'm not passing that up. Same with buying a new MacBook, and just about everything else. Crazy how many places offer a decent student discount...
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

Adobe has a deal right now where its 10 dollars a month to "rent" Lightroom and Photoshop. You should def do that.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

I use photoshop as do most of the professional photographers I work alongside with.

And if your main focus is graphic design, you'll want photoshop for that reason as well (along with Illustrator I would assume)