motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Well you wouldn't weld to the actual threaded part.....you'd spin off the bottom "body" piece which is just a metal tube and weld onto it. It would take maybe 5 minutes.
Yeah I realized that quickly after looking at the pictures of the struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropnstylez View Post
Of course BMW had to go and redesign the simple right. I'll ask one of my techs and let you know if we find anything. I hate having a nice setup only to have to use a cheesy switch to turn it all on. Besides the battery would it really hurt to leave it hooked up to ignition source and just have it turn off after car goes to sleep? Or did the dme detect a draw and leave system on? I upgraded to the 444 compressor as we'll so I hope the extra amps are ok.
I don't know if the 2013's do this but I ran my ignition wire to the "cigarette lighter" in the trunk because it cuts off when the car cuts off. Not sure if that is included in BMW's redesign.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Of course BMW had to go and redesign the simple right. I'll ask one of my techs and let you know if we find anything. I hate having a nice setup only to have to use a cheesy switch to turn it all on. Besides the battery would it really hurt to leave it hooked up to ignition source and just have it turn off after car goes to sleep? Or did the dme detect a draw and leave system on? I upgraded to the 444 compressor as we'll so I hope the extra amps are ok.
It's not a MAJOR concern...I just felt weird leaving my car with it all on and just having to have faith that it would shut off after 15 minutes or whatever. When a compressor kicks on, it can drain a battery quickly if the car isnt running. My car was a daily, so i just wanted the peace of mind that it was off when it was supposed to be off.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:15 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Lol rally your car was never a daily. Jk. Mines my dd as well. So after all this I guess I owe you guys some pics when done. Debating whether or not to hide the setup or show it off. Wouldn't of decided to do this without your guys' help. Thought I was done bagging and juicing things. I guess you never get to old for it.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Bad pic it was snapped while walking to my car after work. Main point is it's done. Everything works good Exocet a few lil things. I wish rears had a remote adjuster instead of dropping while assembly down and as stated in other post the v2 works but kinda wonky at times. Sometimes 45 psi barely lifts the rear and sometimes 50 lets fender sit almost stock height. If Nybody else wants any specific pics just lemme know. It will only let me post one at a time from my phone. When I get decent pics taken I will post more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Bad pic it was snapped while walking to my car after work. Main point is it's done. Everything works good Exocet a few lil things. I wish rears had a remote adjuster instead of dropping while assembly down and as stated in other post the v2 works but kinda wonky at times. Sometimes 45 psi barely lifts the rear and sometimes 50 lets fender sit almost stock height. If Nybody else wants any specific pics just lemme know. It will only let me post one at a time from my phone. When I get decent pics taken I will post more.
Yes! I love it! I wish my R53 was Eclipse Grey. Yeah I have started realizing the small little quirks in the Autopilot V2 so I am trying to sell my V2 and get Switchspeed management. I like the accuracy of the switchspeed a lot more. Do you have an instagram I could follow? I would love to follow the progress on this bad boy.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:03 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

How's the ride/handling changes from coilovers? I'm static now but I'd like to go lower. I know bags can work just as well as coilovers. I'm more so hesitant about the tank and compressor then the strut replacement to be honest. I just don't really want to give up the space.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:51 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

if you don't want to give up the space don't do it..no way to lie about it, the MINI has little space to begin with and it goes away all together when you add a tank and compressor. But on a good note it rides great. Depending how you set it up you can have it ride nice and smooth an inch off the ground or stiff like a traditional coilover when aired up a little more. I get in arguments at work all the time about my car must handle like crap being this low until I take them for a ride. Mines not butter soft but lets be honest either is a stock MINI lol. I have mine set a little bit on the stiff side but im also still playing with ride heights, and it still rides way better then a dumped coilover.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Thanks for the feed back. I had a fab guy wanting to build a tank to mount under the bumper cover. We were also looking at maybe mounting the comp under the car. I know the potential is there for the system to work well. Its almost an infantly adjustable spring rates, its just about controlling the he bounce.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantcode86 View Post
Thanks for the feed back. I had a fab guy wanting to build a tank to mount under the bumper cover. We were also looking at maybe mounting the comp under the car. I know the potential is there for the system to work well. Its almost an infantly adjustable spring rates, its just about controlling the he bounce.
Do you have an R56 or R53? If you have an R56 i'm sure you could put a tank under the bumper cover or on either side of the exhaust easy. I would just hate to have it under there for basic maintenance like draining the tank or water trap. That would make it a little more difficult. What you could do if you wouldn't mind giving up a little bit of space is you could buy two of the skinny two gallon tanks from bag riders instead of a single tank because they're only 4" tall with brackets. I was considering this method because it would give me a lot more room.
My opinion, get Autopilot (easier to install and takes up a LOT less space) and those two two gallon tanks (4 Gallons total) and a single 400cc or 444cc compressor and you'll be set. No need for more than that and that's the ultimate space saver right there.

This is the tank I was talking about!
http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...LLON-TANK.html

Also, go with air suspension and I promise you you'll never want to go back to coilovers.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Good info. I'll look into that more. I have an R56. I want to go lower but I've destroyed enough cars when I was younger running static. I have tons of info if I wanted to do VW but our cars not so much. That's one of the double edge swords of our cars. It as so seems that the most of the guys that are going more out of the norm (you know 17x8 30t=et are the only things that fit people) are building R53s. Not all but a good chunk. And I wouldn't call my car aggressive by any measure, but I want to do some more. Go from a basket of fuzzy kittens to an alley cat