motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default Hub Centric Rings

What do you guys personally think about hub centric rings? Are they necessary? I've been reading mixed opinions on them.

Do you think the polycarbonate rings work just as well as metal aluminum rings?

I'm most likely going to get some rings depending on the findings I get on here. And an alignment on my wheels.

If it's not really worth it, I'm just going to get the alignment and hope the vibrations go away.

Thanks much.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:01 AM
μ

Not necessary. They just help center the wheel on the hub for when you're bolting it up. Once you've got your bolts in and torqued to spec they serve no purpose. I'd wager you're vibes are more due to a lose lug bolt or wheel balance issue than any thing from a hubcentric ring.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

My opinion is completely opposite to that of ashboomstick. MINI wheels, BMW wheels (and I'm sure other OEMs) are machined hub centric for a reason. The weight of the vehicle is supported where the wheel sits on the hub.
If you have IDs (of the wheel) and ODs (of the hub) that do not match perfectly then you are relying on the lug bolts/studs to not only hold the wheel on, but to hold the vehicle up. They were not designed to do both and will eventually fail.

There are wheels that are lug centric, but I haven't seen any for the MINI.

Last edited by Partsman; 06-26-2015 at 03:21 AM..
Old 06-26-2015, 08:23 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsman View Post
My opinion is completely opposite to that of ashboomstick. MINI wheels, BMW wheels (and I'm sure other OEMs) are machined hub centric for a reason. The weight of the vehicle is supported where the wheel sits on the hub.
If you have IDs (of the wheel) and ODs (of the hub) that do not match perfectly then you are relying on the lug bolts/studs to not only hold the wheel on, but to hold the vehicle up. They were not designed to do both and will eventually fail.
That's not how wheels work. The hubcentric rings don't carry load. If they carried the load, why would so many people sell them in soft plastic? Hubcentric rings do nothing but make it easier to center the wheel while mounting and torquing. If that hub was load bearing, they'd make it far longer and sturdier.

Additionally, when a wheel is held on by lug nuts, the entire force of the car is not solely being exerted on the lugs themselves...plenty of force is being translated through the friction/relationship between the wheel back pad and the brake/hub when it is torqued to spec. The lugs certainly see plenty of force...but to pretend like they are the only thing holding the vehicle up is incorrect.

With that said...get some hubcentric rings. They're cheap and easy to install...they'll make it easier to mount wheels properly and could easily solve your vibration. Go for it. I've had good luck with metal and plastic alike.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 PM
μ

Yeah
Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm sorry I don't know how wheels work haha...dude, please...I understand you like to post whatever you learned in class that day or whatever the person said who you talked about it with...but until you have worked on/been around/taken apart and put back together cars for 20 some years, don't try to correct everyone that posts on here with whatever you heard or read. You're somewhat respected on here, but I must say that you are not the be all/end all.

Have you ever had a BMW or MINI hub assembly in your hands? If you have, then you know that it is machined perfectly to fit their respective wheels...."they would have made it longer and sturdier"...haha what??...you want a solid rod to stick out the center of the hub through the wheel?...get a clue man! You could smash that little lip where the wheel sits on a BMW or MINI hub with a sledge hammer and you couldn't break it...it's pretty damn sturdy for mounting a wheel.

I never said the hub ring carries the load...I said the weight of the vehicle is supported where the wheel sits on the hub.
If you had a wheel with a bigger center bore than the hub, it doesn't matter what the hub ring is made of...plastic, metal, or whatever, you could pack that gap with peanut butter and it would work the same as a hub ring, as long as it didn't leak out.
Because the ring is taking up the whole round gap and is sandwiched in there as tight as possible, it's a solid connection now between the wheel and the hub...and the weight of the vehicle can start to be dispersed correctly.

How about put a wheel on your R53 that has a bigger center bore than the hub?...Mr. Know-It-All...see how long your lug bolts last through normal day to day activity...then report back here to this thread.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Do you really think BBS would actually create a 'Precision Fitment System' machining their wheels to accept not only the hub ring, but a snap/retaining ring as well...if according to Rally, "Hubcentric rings do nothing but make it easier to center the wheel while mounting and torquing."

Click the image to open in full size.

...obviously they do more than that.

http://tires.about.com/od/understand...ric-wheels.htm
Old 06-27-2015, 06:25 PM
μ

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't know how wheels work haha...dude, please...I understand you like to post whatever you learned in class that day or whatever the person said who you talked about it with...but until you have worked on/been around/taken apart and put back together cars for 20 some years, don't try to correct everyone that posts on here with whatever you heard or read. You're somewhat respected on here, but I must say that you are not the be all/end all.
I'm not sure where you have garnered the sort of ego to justify such a disrespectful post, but it sounds as if you've racked up more years on this planet than I, so I hope you can show a bit of maturity in future posts.

I'll have to point out that you're incorrect once again. I'm not sputing off something I read on some forum or learned in some class. I work with wheel engineers on a weekly basis as part of my job.

Have I ever had a MINI hub in my hands?Haha... Do you remember the person that you consulted when you wanted to customize your hubs? Oh yeah..that's right, you came to me.

Quote:
"they would have made it longer and sturdier"...haha what??...you want a solid rod to stick out the center of the hub through the wheel?...get a clue man!
No, I don't...because as I said earlier, that hub lip is not there as a weight bearing mechanism.

As to your request for a report, I ran wheels with a larger than stock center bore without rings for 2 years and probably around 15k-20k miles because I could not find anyone anywhere that made the obscure size that I needed. I never had a single problem. They were annoying to center...but they had no problems.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:28 PM
μ

Quote:
Do you really think BBS would actually create a 'Precision Fitment System' machining their wheels to accept not only the hub ring, but a snap/retaining ring as well...if according to Rally, "Hubcentric rings do nothing but make it easier to center the wheel while mounting and torquing."
Your theory is that because they are held in by a clip they must be load bearing? BBS includes the clips because they know their wheels are used for motorsport purposes when you don't want random plastic rings falling off in the paddock/pits when time is of the essence.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yea, ok...whatever Rally...you know everything and have done everything...and we'll just leave it at that.

I asked you about my hubs because you seemed to maybe know something about it...and I was right, you know everything!! Thanks!!...hahaha...get a clue man!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Your theory is that because they are held in by a clip they must be load bearing? BBS includes the clips because they know their wheels are used for motorsport purposes when you don't want random plastic rings falling off in the paddock/pits when time is of the essence.
Haha of course!!...right again!!...is there anything you don't know? I wish I knew as much as you! haha
Old 06-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx

So...... do we need hub rings or not? lol.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

I opted to get some aluminum hub rings. With all the mixed opinions out there, it was a $15 cost I could live with. Thanks for all the input. Hope we can all be friends.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:34 AM
μ

Old 06-28-2015, 01:58 AM
μ

I think it sounds pretty simple, get hub centric rings if they are easy to find (most are) but without them it doesn't appear to be the of the world. I had one missing for 10k and never noticed an issue. Meant to fix it, forgot several times until I found the missing ring somewhere. Maybe I was lucky, who knows.