motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Safety & Race Preparation Roll cages, harnesses, seats, weight reduction, etc. Anything pertaining to taking your car to the highest level of performance.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Safety & Race Preparation

Old 08-23-2015, 10:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default R60 Roll Cage - Anybody know of Any Kits?

R60 Roll Cage - Anybody know of Any Kits?
I have been surfing, apparently in all the wrong places.
Not able to find any info on Roll Cage Kits for R60s. Odd a 2012 WRC Dakar winner,
but very limited in aftermarket kits for performance mods. Thought I'd ask around to
see if any one had come across or has knowledge on any R60 kits.
A custom could be done, but would cost a lot, I'm a DIY kinda guy.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Odd a 2012 WRC Dakar winner,
but very limited in aftermarket kits for performance mods.
To be fair, an R60 never competed in the WRC Dakar....a tube framed beast with a Countryman body competed. I don't think any of the R60 chassis was involved in the rally cars. I'm not even sure the R60 itself is capable of competitive use and the demand for such is beyond niche, so the likely hood of roll cage kits being out this soon seems low.

With that said, if you are looking to get competitive with your R60, your best bet is a weld-in cage anyway. Youre probably best off reaching out to a race fabrication company and ask them for a quote for the type of cage you're hoping to install.

If you're the DIY type of guy, a MIG welder, tubing bender, and race chassis engineering courses are probably the right path to take.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:14 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default R60 Roll Cage

Well, point made. However, the WRC Minis that won Dakar 2012, To my understanding was built Prodrive and cost 1.5 million each, A R60 body was stripped out and somewhat cut up
to fit the tubing inside. It was not built straight from tubes like (NASCAR). You are able to google the Prodrive Minis. see you tubes, and review from the web site.
You are correct, that it was not just OEM with a rollcage from the street.
I just found it odd that Mini only made one commemorative model Black with neon green strips in 2013 (?).
I thought more people might be interested in the modding of the All4 for Rally, AutoX, even racing, as the turbo hybrids are pushing 450 hp+. A few of us are starting to push the performance side of the Countryman. It's not exactly the BMW Mini Cooper Miniac favorite.
But thanks for the info. Just checking with the coolest Mini crowd, M|U.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The WRC R60's use the MINI unibody, not the Dakar cars. Two totally different cars. The Prodrive cars are custom built, as all WRC cars are, no off the shelf parts.

You would need a custom cage built.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default R60 Roll Cage -RE: Rally Car, WRC, Prodive car builds

I stand corrected, A lot of different Mini R60 builders based on race type, sponsors,
fabricators. I must be getting my info mixed up. A least there are a few folks that know the Mini R60 in Rally form that are knowledgeable and know all are custom built.
Yeah, the custom build thing is something I wanted to avoid, The DIY suggestion is good.
(But I am not confident I would build a safe unit, at all the correct points.) I'll need to do some more research. If possible can the knowledge be shared. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
cage, countryman, r60, roll, roll cage