motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 01-16-2016, 05:05 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD
Question Pondering a new ride...

While I truly love the driving dynamics and sweet motor in my e90, I think the time is nearing to get something less costly to maintain and more reliable to run.

Requirements? Prefer having a rear seat (pooch), hatch (bicycle), & extra doors, but can make an exception for a car that rewards in other areas...

Candidates?
  • Ford Fiesta ST (used/new)
    MazdaSpeed3 (used)
    Mazda 3 5-door (new)
    Accord Coupe (used/new)
    BRZ/FRS (used/new)
    Miata (used)
    Tacoma (used)

I'm leaning towards the Fiesta ST or MazdaSpeed3 as they check off quick, usable hatch/doors, reliable, and fun.

Both are about equal on tuning potential.

I know about the Speed3 and it edges on unruly with far more torque steer & rawness risk, but that is also part of its allure - it's not highly polished and can challenge a driver more.

Anybody here (Paul?) have feedback on a Fiesta ST? It's easy to find used at a low price with very few miles and optioned out, seems to be solid, and definitely fun (even stock they kick asphalt nicely). Plus, they are not terribly common - think I've seen less than six around here.

Looking for more input on the daily life use and any risks/issues that dig deep into one's wallet.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM
µ Leadership

I say go with the Fiest ST. I still think those are just killer little cars. And i see lots of great reviews. I personally would like the Focus ST more though. But i think its a convenience thing
Old 01-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I feel like every week I start poking around autotrader doing the same thing. Usually it's looking for current prices on 2015 GTI or WRX. I would also consider the Focus over the Fiesta, but then that was cause I didn't like sitting in the Fiesta a couple years back and it might have changed since then.

My current odd thought is to get a V6 accord as some quasi-sport sedan, but I don't think that is really going to happen. I know the main appeal of the accord coupe is that it is the only way to get a manual, which is probably necessary.

On a side note, my fiance really likes her Mazda 3 sedan and the 5-door is definitely unique looking.

Oh and back to your original question, I wish I did like the FiST more, as it seems like there is a great community around them. Try taking one for a test drive and see what you think.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:12 PM
μ

Your addition of the Tacoma falls in line with my thought process. Either you get one all-around car (Fiesta ST or similar) or you could get two cars. A slightly older truck and an early Miata makes for a great duo. You can have the truck for the bike, the dog, driving in shitty weather, whatever. Then the Miata gets to be the toy, the project, the fun car that doesn't have to be a great daily driver. Both options have their advantages. I helped in no way whatsoever.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:14 PM
μ

Risu, you can get a slightly older Accord V6 manual sedan. I had my eye on a clean one but decided against it. I think it's around an 04 model year. Oh, and I also browse Autotrader on the reg.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:04 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Your addition of the Tacoma falls in line with my thought process. Either you get one all-around car (Fiesta ST or similar) or you could get two cars. A slightly older truck and an early Miata makes for a great duo. You can have the truck for the bike, the dog, driving in shitty weather, whatever. Then the Miata gets to be the toy, the project, the fun car that doesn't have to be a great daily driver. Both options have their advantages. I helped in no way whatsoever.
I oft think this way too, but my %%!# garage is minuscule, so I'd be hard pressed to really keep a second track/fun car unless I find garage space or a new house. The Tacoma & Miata are damn reliable too...

Need to go get some seat time in a Fiesta... Or buy a new house...
Old 01-22-2016, 09:20 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
This is the path I took and I'm loving every moment of it. Having an old 4x4 that I can drive anywhere while having absolutely no worry about dings or interior scratches has been amazing. I can carry my surf gear with it, transport dogs, go off-roading, and have general fun with it.

Then I have the old BMW and the Classic Mini when I want to have "sportscar" fun.

I love the Ford ST cars...the Fiesta is surprisingly great.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 PM
μ

Same here: I drive a Honda Element (not 4wd though) for daily stuff and outside hobbies, it gets abused quite a bit. My R53 is my fun car. It's not practical, it's low, has summer only tires on it, might leave me stranded one day, but it's a hoot.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 PM
μ

Drove a new Mazda 3 (2.5, manual). Not a bad ride that thing is...

Handling reminded me a good bit of the MINI, but a touch more civilized ride (even with 18" wheels).

Tacomas are so freakin' expensive, new or used.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I've zero regrets w/ my 3 which gave the 53 some relief. Both are equally loved & enjoyed. Here's Min3....Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 AM
μ

Nice! Any mods beyond the exhaust & wheels?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks...Nothing else really, no power mods....just this no-drill front plate relocator kit I designed & shared w/ the Mazda3 community...Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:55 PM
μ

Nice mod, fortunately I live in a state where no front plate requirements are in place. I wish all countries/states had that...

Did you black out the front grill or did it come like that? US models have more chrome up there than what yours shows.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

True on front plate, wish we dint have to.
I dechromed w/ vinyl the grille trim & beltline. The front Mblem now has been sprayed w/ Duplicolor Shadow Chrome.
Have you decided? A buddy gave up his troublesome e46M3 for a 2.0 hatch & never looked back. He loves the poor man's bimmer more, somehow.Haha
Old 02-20-2016, 02:03 PM
μ

I'm really right up on the edge of getting one. Getting a 3 answers more questions than it makes, a good compromise on fun and function (short of getting two vehicles).

I dig the blacked out bits up front, looks much better in my opinion.

Tags
fiesta, mazdaspeed