motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Chalk & Cones Autocross, what else?

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Chalk & Cones

Old 04-08-2007, 01:21 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Click the image to open in full size.

This is me at one of the Rocky Mountain BMW Club events in 2006. I'll try for some shots at the 4/15/07 Autocross.

'02 R50, '05 R53, '12 Cooper R60, '13 JCW GP

Last edited by Johnna; 04-08-2007 at 11:25 PM..
Old 04-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Retired

John,

Welcome to m|u.

Good to see your MCS finally. I remember when I was active in mini5280 you had a CR/w MC.

Where are you guys running autocross these days? I heard about some issues with the Mt. Elbert lot and a $15,000 re-stripe.

Dave

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:36 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Hey there Dave!

Yep, that's the MCS that I've had for about a year and a half. I kept the OZ Superleggeras and put the S-Lites on my '02 MC when I sold it.

No autocrosses at DIA this year. They are back at Coors Field this year with a reduced schedule. I'll see if I can find out what happened at DIA.

Hey, how does your club classify JCW MINIs? It's been under discussion here. For some odd reason they are still in CS.

John

Last edited by Johnna; 04-08-2007 at 11:26 PM..
Old 04-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnna View Post
Hey, how does your club classify JCW MINIs? It's been under discussion here. For some odd reason they are still in CS.
Our local BMWCCA puts all MINIs (MC, MCS, JCW, street tires, race tires, stock, mod'd) into one big class.

As far as SCCA goes, MC = H-stock, MCS = G-stock, and JCW = B-stock, so at least from the SCCA perspective, they are distinctly different.

I suppose the way to work within the BMWCCA structure there in the Rocky Mountain Chapter might be to have JCW be treated like the ///M cars that are categorized differently than their lower hp breatheren. Seems fair to split the JCW out. FWIW though, based on Randy Webb's testing of the new turbo at altitude the R56 MCS should probably be in the same category as the JCW R53 because the Turbo does make significantly more power than the supercharger at altitude (JMO).

Justapooper

Old 04-08-2007, 08:51 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Our local BMWCCA puts all MINIs (MC, MCS, JCW, street tires, race tires, stock, mod'd) into one big class.

As far as SCCA goes, MC = H-stock, MCS = G-stock, and JCW = B-stock, so at least from the SCCA perspective, they are distinctly different.

I suppose the way to work within the BMWCCA structure there in the Rocky Mountain Chapter might be to have JCW be treated like the ///M cars that are categorized differently than their lower hp breatheren. Seems fair to split the JCW out. FWIW though, based on Randy Webb's testing of the new turbo at altitude the R56 MCS should probably be in the same category as the JCW R53 because the Turbo does make significantly more power than the supercharger at altitude (JMO).
I just checked. Randy Webb has his 2007 MINI S classed as BS for the RMC BMW CCA auto-cross series. Vicky is running it in the ladies category. I don't know if he's started modding it yet. Also, he's better than your average driver so it might not be an accurate test of the car's natural abilities and appropriate class placement.

........ hey ...... I think we're hijacking this photo thread. Where should this be discussed here at m/u? How does one move a discussion?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Retired

Quote:
I just checked. Randy Webb has his 2007 MINI S classed as BS for the RMC BMW CCA auto-cross series. Vicky is running it in the ladies category. I don't know if he's started modding it yet. Also, he's better than your average driver so it might not be an accurate test of the car's natural abilities and appropriate class placement.
John,

What's the difference between BS and CS? I don't quite recall how the Rocky Mountain Chapter does thier MINI classing, other than there was a points system and the MC and MCS started off in different classes.

Quote:
........ hey ...... I think we're hijacking this photo thread. Where should this be discussed here at m/u? How does one move a discussion?
I just split the Colorado BMWCCA posts out into this new thread.

Justapooper

Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
John,

What's the difference between BS and CS? I don't quite recall how the Rocky Mountain Chapter does thier MINI classing, other than there was a points system and the MC and MCS started off in different classes.

I just split the Colorado BMWCCA posts out into this new thread.
Cool! Thanks for the thread split.

You are remembering correctly, the RMC has classes based on a point system for BMWs and MINIs. Each car is assigned a basic number/class to start with. Points are added for mods to the stock configuration. Given enough mods, your car could be bumped up to a faster class.

A stock Cooper starts off with 89.5 points in D class.
A stock Cooper S starts off with 107.2 points in C class.
A stock JCW Cooper S starts off with 112.2 points in C class. (I personally disagree with this one)

Website https://www.rmcbmwcca.org/

Here is a "cut and paste" of the point/class system including the extra points assigned for mods. Maybe you can use this to talk your club into creating sub-classifications for MINIs. (SCCA classification is probably a better argument)

Class Points Comment
AS > 125.......Street tires
BS 114-125....Street tires
CS 95-114......Street tires
DS 70-95........Street tires
ES < 70..........Street tires

AR > 125.......R compound tires
BR 114-125....R compound tires
CR 70-114......R compound tires
DR < 70..........R compound tires

PAXed Autocross Classes
X n/a Expert Class
L n/a Ladies Lady Drivers
R n/a Non-BMW Competition Cars
S n/a Non-BMW Street Cars

Points added for modifications
Engine
Upgraded Chip or Software [3 points]
Non-Stock Air Intake (cone filter, larger carb, HFM, cold air intake) [3 points]
Aftermarket or upgraded Exhaust [3 points]
Accessory Underdrive Pulley [2 points]
Upgraded Cam Shaft(s) [13 points]
Forced Induction Add-on (Super or Turbo Charger) [15 points]
Non-stock Forced Induction Pulley [8 points]
Engine Swaps (Must be BMW Engine and Chassis) [20 points]

Suspension and Brakes
Aftermarket or upgraded Springs [4 points]
Aftermarket or upgraded Swaybars [4 points]
Aftermarket or upgraded Shocks [3 points]
Non-Stock Camber adjustment of any type [3 points]
E36 X-Brace [2 points]
Strut Brace front OR rear [1 point]
Larger than stock Brake Rotors and/or non-stock Brake Calipers [2 points]

Driveline
Non-Stock Gearbox [5 points]
Non-Stock or upgraded Differential [5 points]
Non-Stock Flywheel [3 points]

Wheels and Tires
Tire width between 19mm and 29mm over stock size [5 points]
Tire width 30mm or more over stock size [8 points]
Race compound tires (Treadwear rating less than 140)

Weight Reduction
Removal or replacement of Seats [3 points]
Removal or replacement of Body Panels [3 points]
Removal or replacement of Doors [3 points]
Removal or replacement of Hood or Trunk Lid [3 points]

Last edited by Johnna; 04-08-2007 at 11:25 PM..
Old 04-13-2007, 02:22 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default How do other groups set their classes?

There you go. That's how the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the BMWCCA sets up their classes. Dave's group lumps all MINIs together into one broad class. How does your group do it?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Retired

The other way I saw it done, up here in L.A., was MC in one class and MCS in another. Again, that was any mods and any tires, so a stock MCS on run-flats could be up against a turbo conversion R53 with race rubber and they would both be in the same class.

JMO, but the RMC BMWCCA has a very good system.

Then there is SCCA classing, which seems to be pretty fair too, but is more prone to bumping people up a class or two based on really common mods (the pulley for instance sends someone from stock to street mod, or a rear sway bar on a normally "stock" car, puts you into street prepared).

Justapooper

Old 04-14-2007, 03:20 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
The other way I saw it done, up here in L.A., was MC in one class and MCS in another. Again, that was any mods and any tires, so a stock MCS on run-flats could be up against a turbo conversion R53 with race rubber and they would both be in the same class.

JMO, but the RMC BMWCCA has a very good system.

Then there is SCCA classing, which seems to be pretty fair too, but is more prone to bumping people up a class or two based on really common mods (the pulley for instance sends someone from stock to street mod, or a rear sway bar on a normally "stock" car, puts you into street prepared).
I'm holding off on the s/c pully because it would bump me up to BS in the RMCBMWCCA. I added an H-Comp rear sway bar last fall. Now I'm at the top edge of CS class. Tomorrow will be my first autocross using it. I just stiffened the bar and put on the Azzinis. I'm excited and ready to go!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:51 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
I'm holding off on the s/c pully because it would bump me up to BS in the RMCBMWCCA. I added an H-Comp rear sway bar last fall. Now I'm at the top edge of CS class. Tomorrow will be my first autocross using it. I just stiffened the bar and put on the Azzinis. I'm excited and ready to go!
After the autocross ...... WOW! H-Comp rear swaybar on the stiffest setting sure does make the MINI rotate! With the Azzinis pumped up to 36psi front and 38psi rear, I spun out several times. Quite the eye opening experience. After a few practice runs gradually bleeding air out of the rear tires, I got some advice from the pros. Drop the rear tire pressure to 25psi or so. That helped a bunch but what was really needed was a softer sway bar setting. Next time it'll be the mid or softest setting!

Next autocross is 5/5/07. Cinco de Mayo!

Last edited by Johnna; 04-15-2007 at 06:09 AM..
Old 04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Retired

John,

FWIW, when I had my MCS, I ususally ran my 23mm bar on the soft or medium setting.

Dave

Justapooper

Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
John,

FWIW, when I had my MCS, I ususally ran my 23mm bar on the soft or medium setting.

Dave
That's exactly what I'm going to do. How did you choose between soft and medium?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Retired

I started on the softer setting, then experiemented with medium, but that was too rotation happy for my driving style, so I went back to the softer setting. If you take a jack and a couple jackstands with you, you can change the rear sway bar position at the event (between practice sessions).

Justapooper

Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
I started on the softer setting, then experiemented with medium, but that was too rotation happy for my driving style, so I went back to the softer setting. If you take a jack and a couple jackstands with you, you can change the rear sway bar position at the event (between practice sessions).
I took two jacks to the event with exactly that in mind. Then laziness set in .... next time I'll just start it off with the softer setting and work with tire pressure to fine tune it!