motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Featured Discussions Discuss your favorite feature articles in these separate discussion forums.

Go Back   motoring|underground > motoring|underground Presents... > Featured Discussions

Old 08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

I'm at Thompson BMW in Doylestown, PA. I'll happily put together something for it once it gets closer.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Hey Tom, any idea what sort of performance-oriented options will be available for it on launch? I'm not going to be buying one right away, but the main stuff I'm interested in is a limited-slip differential with some sort of housing to enhance cooling and maybe an SMG gearbox. Also, did anyone make any mention of an M version on the horizon, or is the 135i as close as we're gonna get to that? I know Europe has an M-sport version, but it seems similarly equipped to the 135i we'll be getting.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via ICQ to B3ND3R Send a message via AIM to B3ND3R Send a message via MSN to B3ND3R Send a message via Yahoo to B3ND3R

Not to interject, but several automotive press sources have reported that BMW has told them there will be no M version (in the foreseeable future), as the 135i already has the top engine choice, anyways.

From what I understand, the euro M-sport goodies on the 1-series are mostly just appearance enhancements, anyways.

Cookin' MCS like a pound of bacon
Old 08-30-2007, 05:47 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ND3R View Post
Not to interject, but several automotive press sources have reported that BMW has told them there will be no M version (in the foreseeable future), as the 135i already has the top engine choice, anyways.

From what I understand, the euro M-sport goodies on the 1-series are mostly just appearance enhancements, anyways.
Yeah, but there's a lot of other technology that is beginning to appear in M models, like more use of aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber. I'm wondering if we'll be seeing some of the technology present in the new M3, specifically the carbon roof and aluminum honeycomb floor panels.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via ICQ to B3ND3R Send a message via AIM to B3ND3R Send a message via MSN to B3ND3R Send a message via Yahoo to B3ND3R

I think it might be cost-prohibitive for an entry-level model.

Would be nice though!

Cookin' MCS like a pound of bacon
Old 08-30-2007, 05:55 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ND3R View Post
I think it might be cost-prohibitive for an entry-level model.

Would be nice though!
Hence my mention of an M version.

It doesn't need to be called "M" to have that sort of technology, though. If you look at the Mitsubishi Evo MR, which is a direct competitor to the 1-series, they're using an aluminum roof in order to lower the center of gravity.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zoomer Send a message via MSN to Zoomer

Awesome! 135 miles from you (there's that number again)... Let me know and I'll be glad to get the masses assembled over here - I know other folks that might be interested.. I can also bring it to the attention of the folks at Lime Rock this weekend, as we're having that MINI corral with the folks that assembled it - expecting a huge turnout there too. This is going to be great! Thanks dude!! James? Lucas? JP? You guys think you'd be interested in joining up and heading down to Thompson once we have a definite date this spring for the launch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
I'm at Thompson BMW in Doylestown, PA. I'll happily put together something for it once it gets closer.

Last edited by Zoomer; 08-30-2007 at 06:02 PM..
Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

yeah... the 135 will not come with SMG, but will be available with the ZF Sport Automatic trans like the 335i sport cars. That transmission is as good if not better than the SMG for normal drivers. There is talk of the 'M1' but that's a little ways out. If they do make it, it will probably be a similar engine to the current M coupe/roadster and not be turbocharged. Personally I think that would be fun too, but a 135 with mods will go faster.

As for carbon roof and honeycomb floor I doubt it... I can say that it felt like the entire car was made out of the composite plastic material that they use on the 6/M6. The 135 will already have bigger brakes than the upcoming M3 so yeah...

As for LSD it would only be on a 'M' model since BMW has decided to only really offer that on the M's.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to iggy

Quote:
I expect the 135 to be around 36k. the 128 will probably be anywhere from 26-28 to start. They have to price it just higher than the MINI but not so high that it eats into 3 sales.
e
Makes sense. I thought they would price the 135i alittle lower, but you are right. They cant have it compete with the 3, that would just be stupid. I cant wait for this car to come on the market. If there is one car that would tempt me out of a MINI, it would be a 135i. It has good looks, terrific motor, and hopefully good steering/handling to back it up on the dynamic end. I really hope it lives up to the hype and is the reincarnation of the 2002 that BMW says it will be.

Quote:
and the second I get a launch car for customers to drive I'll let you know.

Umm, YES PLEASE!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
Hence my mention of an M version.

It doesn't need to be called "M" to have that sort of technology, though. If you look at the Mitsubishi Evo MR, which is a direct competitor to the 1-series, they're using an aluminum roof in order to lower the center of gravity.
The Evo MR has aluminum fenders as well, I picked up a set and they felt lighter then an empty soda can!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned

Alex, any way you guys from Helix can meet up with us when we all get down to the Philly area @ Thompson?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to iggy

Im pretty sure we can figure something out.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

This is going to be great.. a get together with people from M|U on the East Coast - any West Coast M|Uites wanna join in? Hey AMG, up for coming down from Rochester?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
Im pretty sure we can figure something out.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
μ

Quote:
yeah... the 135 will not come with SMG, but will be available with the ZF Sport Automatic trans like the 335i sport cars. That transmission is as good if not better than the SMG for normal drivers. There is talk of the 'M1' but that's a little ways out. If they do make it, it will probably be a similar engine to the current M coupe/roadster and not be turbocharged. Personally I think that would be fun too, but a 135 with mods will go faster.
I'd be a little afraid of the SMG anyway, since it's not really designed to be used at the track, nor is it affordable to fix if something breaks.

Regarding the engine in the current M coupe/roadster, that would be seriously surprising. The current M coupe/roadster uses the S54 engine out of the E46 M3 and the last of the Z3 M Coupes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe
As for carbon roof and honeycomb floor I doubt it... I can say that it felt like the entire car was made out of the composite plastic material that they use on the 6/M6. The 135 will already have bigger brakes than the upcoming M3 so yeah...
Back on up... bigger brakes than the upcoming M3? They look huge, but I can't imagine them being bigger than those on the new M3. Either way, I don't think there'll be much of a market for big brake kits for the 1-series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe
As for LSD it would only be on a 'M' model since BMW has decided to only really offer that on the M's.
Now that really sucks. How similar mechanically is the 1-series to the 3-series? Do you think it would it be possible to bolt in an E46 or E92 LSD?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

great writeup trw. thanks for sharing all of the goodness!