motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Exhibit Hall A place to display your photography and art.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Exhibit Hall

Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Skype™ to Puma
Default Looking for feedback and/ or help!

Hey all,

I'm trying to get my soccer goalkeeper coaching business off the ground, and I"m having some trouble with the flyers. I'm not liking how they're coming out so far (I'm doing it myself), so I turn to the myoo in hopes that some of our graphic geniuses can help steer me in the right direction.

I need something that looks όber professional, yet classy and appealing. I don't have a whole lot of pictures to work with (yet), but I do have a couple. I need to re-do the clip art since it's mostly "borrowed" from other sites, and I'm not happy at all with the logo, so recommendations/ assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Here's what I'm working with so far. Please leave me some feedback so I can get this straightened out and set up ASAP. School gets out soon and this is prime time to pick up clients!

Cheers all!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

There's waaaay too much graphic art for my tastes. I'd lose the stuff on the corners and pick one of the goalie shots (either the clip art looking thing or photo). Also, try varying the font sizes and/or color on the body copy. One last thing... I'm not a fan of centering text.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You also might consider reducing the stroke on the rule between "references available" and "Contact:"

Edit: When you do design work, use the KISS rule.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MarlaSinger

clip art = blehhhhh!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ok, the clip art is gone, and I'll reduce the stroke over the contact info.

Keep it coming guys! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ok, I decided that the last one was so hideous to look at that I just needed to re-do the whole damn thing, so here's round two. This one I'm pretty happy with, but again, let me know your thoughts!

Cheers all!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Watch your hierarchy of information. Communication only works if you can control the balance of what the viewer is seeing. If you say too much and at the same voice and weight, nobody will listen to (or read) the important information.

Break apart your piece and list each as to how important they are in the communication. If it's a catchy headline, graphic or picture, make that number 1 - you need stopping power. Then so on and so on.

Descriptions, body copy and lists should be limited to only your top information and try to avoid any redundancy on limited real estate. Also, these elements should be lower in importance. If you stop somebody and they are interested, they will read it.

Logo and call-to-action should be the last thing they read. Since must of us read left to right, top to bottom, it has been customary to put this at the bottom. Of course one can argue that placing this elements in a non-traditional area makes it stand out more, but we're talking about a flyer. Stick to the basics.

Limit your fonts to complimentary families (usually no more than two) and take advantage of the different weights, using the bolds for heads and sub-heads and the text weight for body copy and bullet points.

Your second version is much better, but I still feel your trying to say too much with the same weight.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

I have a buddy who's doing the same thing for himself. he's a coach as well, and has had great success. He's actually even on here and has a MINI as well I'll let him know to expect a call then PM you his number if that's okay with him
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! I've been getting good stuff both here and on facebook from the myoo family. I'll make some final adjustments to the flyer today, but my deadline is tonight around 4 so I can be handing it out at a training session I'm leading later.

Richard - Thanks for the advice. I'll try and break down the body points to a different font, and edit the whole thing for clarity. I did this one last night at 2am so it's a bit shaky lol...

Konsta - Good for him! I'd deffo appreciate some help in that area, as I'm new to the whole gig. He can PM me too if that's easier. Cheers mate!

Thanks again guys!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
μ

The second version looks much better. Much more attention grabbing. Not to fond of how angled the photo is though. Might be able to leave it angled, just not quite so extreme.

Also, is L3 your "company" name? If so, just wanted to be sure you are aware of L-3 Communications incase you want something original and not close to an existing company.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yeah, I'm calling it L3 in reference to Law 3 of the FIFA Laws of the Game which is about the players. I'm good with that. Thanks thought! I'll work on the angle and such too. Updated version in an hour or so...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Okay... first... the second version is MUUUUCH better, but I'd make a couple more changes. I'd ditch the goalie clip art on the top, and maybe the crest on the bottom. I dig the watermark stuff though... that's in. I'd also consider ditching the box on the left in favor of a vertical rule to separate that information. I'd also consider adding some more space between aspects of information (i.e., around the rules, etc.).
Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Duly noted. New version up in 10.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Alright, I think this is the final draft, with the exception of the picture. I've got a few shots from training yesterday that I'm gonna use instead, but other than that, I think this is it.

Thoughts? Cheers!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Dylan,

The last one works well for me.

Good Luck it your new biz.