motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 03-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default LED's for your home.

Here's a place for anyone whose done an led change over or project for the home.

Info, Thoughts, Pics, Links and Deals...

You all know the drill.

(Adding my workshop project later tonight)

Click the image to open in full size.

Just hope the old one dies a fiery death.
But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 03-18-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Old 03-18-2015, 05:38 PM
μ

Thank you, looking forward to the info later. Can't wait to start my own project.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 PM
μ

Yeah this could be a huge help for me
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I got Philips Hue bulbs in almost all fixtures in my living room. Way too expensive for what it is, but love the options you get regarding color temperature. I mainly use it for these scenarios:
- all lights except for the dinner table dimly lit in a warm color
- same + lights over dinner table dim/warm while having dinner
- lights over dinner table + lights next to table in a bright white while DIY'ing
- striplight behind tv as ambilight while watching series (on a Mac mini with Huevision)
- all lights in the living room as ambilight (for movies or intense series like TWD)

I have a Hue Lux in the hallway that turns on dimly when you get home after sunset.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

First, here are some links to help with basic info for anyone interested in led's for your home including bulbs and strips.

these links are just for the info provided, I've not used any of these products specifically

http://www.cnet.com/news/light-bulb-buying-guide/

http://www.12vmonster.com/blogs/prod...-5630-5730-led

http://www.theledlight.com/led-definitions.html

** With just this basic info, be advised, if you go to a store to buy any bulbs, you'll probably know more than the sales person **

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 03-19-2015 at 04:45 AM..
Old 03-19-2015, 04:14 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo View Post
I got Philips Hue bulbs in almost all fixtures in my living room. Way too expensive for what it is, but love the options you get regarding color temperature. I mainly use it for these scenarios:
- all lights except for the dinner table dimly lit in a warm color
- same + lights over dinner table dim/warm while having dinner
- lights over dinner table + lights next to table in a bright white while DIY'ing
- striplight behind tv as ambilight while watching series (on a Mac mini with Huevision)
- all lights in the living room as ambilight (for movies or intense series like TWD)

I have a Hue Lux in the hallway that turns on dimly when you get home after sunset.
The Hue's are what got me interested in this whole thing, I just couldn't see paying that price, did some research and found these for a lot less:

http://www.limitlessled.com

I've bought some individual RGB bulbs off e-bay, but so far the limitless bulbs are the only ones that allow grouping like the Hue's, (i know there are others, I've just settled for these, so far I'm more than happy with them) there's no community like with the Hue's but I really didn't care about that.
The Limitless bulbs ship from New Zealand, so far all of my orders have taken 10-14 days.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 03-19-2015 at 06:56 AM..
Old 03-19-2015, 04:44 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

First, Color:
White LED's are color coded like HID headlights, using the Kelvin scale,
Your standard incandescent bulb (like everyone is used to) in LED terms is called "Warm White" ( about 3500k) the other cleaner more fluorescent type light is generally known as "Cool White" (sometimes Bright our Pure White)(about 5500k)
(If you buy online make sure you're getting what you want)

I've gone to all Cool White in my house, but be forewarned, it might not be for you, it takes some getting used to, esp. in areas such as family rooms whet you might not want the brighter seeming less relaxing light color. And it also is a little weird if you haven't changed all your rooms when you walk from one color white to the other. (I'm OK with it, the GF is still weirded out by it and still getting used to it)

Bulbs:
Here's a basic conversion chart for deciding which bulb brightness for your standard home bulbs.

So far I've gotten everything from E-Bay, mostly direct from China with about a 90/10 success rate on products and 80/20 on shipping time and customer service.
(Just remember, read the feedback before ordering, it will tell you a lot)

Couple of things about what I've found:
-If you want bulbs, make sure they're bulbs and not cones with chips in the end.
-There are round, corn cob, candle and Cree/flood type bulbs available, just to name a few, just do your research.
-Bulb base sizes are sometimes interchangeable

I'll explain this last one, in the states we mostly use e type screw base bulbs (e for Edison) followed by a number which designates the diameter of the base in mm. The two most popular base sizes in the US are the e26 and e12 (the e12 are known as mini Candelabra) but the e26 & e27 are interchangeable as well as the e11 & e12.

There are also replacements for halogen bulbs used in lamps and mostly outdoor flood light applications, these are R7S bases, plus you can also find fluorescent style tubes.

Here are some links to base and bulb types:

http://www.bulbs.com/learning/basechart.aspx

http://www.bulbs.com/learning/shapesandsizes.aspx

All of this should help you to be more certain of what you truly need.

I've found 10 packs of 7w round for less than $35.00

And these Halogen replacements for my outdoor floods:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151585197895...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can recommend these, work great and about a 10 day turn around on shipping. I have 5 motion sensor double floods outside w/ 100w bulbs in each lamp, and have replaced all of them, they tend to run a lot, these alone should be a significant savings in my electric bill. (going from 1000w total to 100w total)
If you want to buy the whole assembly there are 50w and 100w single chip floods available too, I have one ordered now to test out, going to hang them in my carport as work lights if they are as bright as they say, I'll let you know.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 03-19-2015 at 09:53 AM..
Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

LED Strip Lighting:

Right now the easiest sizes to find are the 3528's, 5050's and 5630's (5730's).
The 3528's are single color (both types of white or specific individual color's) and are the dimmer of them, they work well for accent lighting.
The 5050's are available in single color or RGB (able to change color, known as million color) and are brighter than the 3528's.
The 5630's are brighter yet, so far I've only found these in single color. (These are what I used for my shop project)

Most LED strips are actually powered by 12v and require a transformer, so make sure that your getting everything you need when buying, including the controller if your buying RGB.

Strips come in different lengths, must popular is 5m, (even if you order a 10 or 20m strip, you probably get multiple 5m reels with connectors) and in different #'s of LED's per meter (mostly 30 or 60 p/m) most strips can be cut to any length as long as the # of LED's on the strip you are using is in multiples of 3. (Most strips come marked with cut lines to do the counting for you) And most come with 3M 2 sided tape already attached for easy installation.

As a general rule a 5m strip of 5050's or 5630's will draw about 2.5 amps, so make sure your getting the proper power supply to coincide with the length of your strip or strips. At the end or cut lines of most strips there will be contacts showing which will allow you to add additional length to a strip or start and stop a strip to work around obstacles, all it takes is some simple soldering.

Wiring:
Kits.
A lot of what you find will be in kit form (esp. 5050 RGB's) and will be plug-n-play, the only exception to this is if you have to add length or do a start and stop to go around things. ( for example, from under one cabinet to another)
DIY.
Again, figure 2.5 amps per 5m when ordering a transformer, this will cover you in almost any situation. Single color strips will be a simple two wire setup + & - (remember, they are 12v dc, so + & - matter). RGB well be 4 wires for color change control.
You can find all different kinds of connectors and jumpers on e-bay from most of the strip vendors, but for long, wire only runs, I've found that the easiest thing is to use is thermostat wire. (18/2 for single color and 18/5 for RGB) if not you want to try and use at least 20ga wire. (You can probably get by with 22ga for 3528 strips if need be)

That's all I can think of for now...go get creative.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 03-19-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

My, workshop project:
Here are some specifics as to what I used and where I got things from.

Strips themselves are 6 (soon to be 10) 5m reels of 5630 cool white LED's 60/m, and one 30amp 12v dc transformer.
I bought both from this e-bay vendor and have been happy with the product and shipping time. (About 10 days to my door).

http://stores.ebay.com/haouu998?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Here are the individual links for what I got:

Strips: ($7.00ea)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261347156718...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Transformer: (30amp $29.00)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261470580279...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Be forewarned, the transformers from here come with no instructions or mounting hardware, there is basic wiring info on the sale page, but it's actually very simple, here's what mine looks like:

Just some simple L brackets, it uses m4 screws, and I decided to raise it from the joist to help dissipate heat.
The connections are simple, I cut the female end of of an old 2 wire extension cord, those leads connect to the far right clips on the box (the third one from the right is for a ground if you decide to use a 3 wire cord)
The next 6 are simply + & - connections for the strips.
It's that basic.

The strips themselves are just held up with the supplied 2 sided tape, all I did was clean the joists and for extra grip I added a small touch of clear silicone about every foot. Again that's it. Soldered the 18/2 thermostat wire to the leads on the strips, attached them to the transformer, plugged it in.....done.

As I said on the other post, I'm going to go ahead and add 4 more over the main area, it doesn't really need it, but I have the open joists, bought the larger transformer and the extra strips are only costing me $27.00 so why not.

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 03-19-2015 at 06:52 AM..
Old 03-19-2015, 02:09 PM
μ

this is great, Thank you for all of the info.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:36 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

N.P., probably went a little overboard on the info, but oh well, might save someone else some time doing research.

Once I'm done with all my interior strip lighting projects, (Entire Basement, Theatre Room, Under Cabinet Lighting) I'm going to concentrate on the outside, lighting the carport, back yard and accent floods. Then in the Fall I'm planning on actually doing strips for my holiday lighting, since they're so discreet when they're not on, you can just leave them up year round, not to mention if you go RGB, you can change themes depending on the holiday.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 03-20-2015, 02:01 PM
μ

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I'm probably going to start by adding a couple of 5m lengths to my work bench area and go from there. I think you included enough to get me started, but I'll come back here with questions if I have any since others may experience the same issues.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:29 PM
μ

I've got LED strips in the garage to supplement my fluorescent tubes. They are awesome and I often use only the LED's.

If you want to replace every bulb in your house with LED's, go to IKEA during one of their LED sales. I walked out with enough warm white dimmable (big factor for me) LED bulbs to replace every bulb inside and out of my house for less than $60... pretty freaking sweet deal. And they are bright. They feel solid and have good materials. They don't feel cheap. And you wouldn't know they are LED just looking at them. The perfect setup in my opinion.

And they are all compatible with my home automation systems so life is good.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks, that's good to know, just in case the GF can't get used to the Cool White everywhere.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Not related to garage tubes... But two weeks ago we converted about 70% of our NV home to LED bulbs. High cost (about $1600 with exterior/interior) but should lesson our monthly bill substantially. We went with 'Bright White, so in between the soft white and 'morgue' white.

I'm interested to see how your elec. bills reflect the new lights? Keep us updated with the changes.

EDIT: I should say, I ended up buying everything from Home Depot, with the exception of the exterior lights from Lowe's. I compared prices quite a bit but didn't see any dramatic savings to make me go online, plus I could easily return them to a local store.