motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 PM
µ Leadership

Default Tread wear

This may sound dumb but, How can i tell tread wear? Like If is tread wear is a 280, how do i know how long it will last. Mile wise?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lucky13

prolly bout 20-30k depending on driving style of course...my 280's will get me thru like 3 track days before they are roasted
Old 01-12-2006, 07:31 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) ratings are relative within a tire manufacturer. For example, a 300 treadwear tire from Bridgestone would last twice as long as a 150 treadwear tire from Bridgestone, but a 300 treadwear tire from Kumho may last longer or shorter than the 300 Bridgestone, as it comes from a different manufacturer. Because of this, you should really use UTQG ratings as a loose suggestion of how long they'll last compared to other tires, moreso than a fixed mileage.

Driving style affects treadwear, also. For example, a pair of 220 treadwear tires (Kumho Ecsta MX) lasts me about two months, but they'll last most people at least six months. I used to run the Dunlop SP Sport 9000 DSST (280 treadwear) tires, and I found that those actually didn't last me much longer than the Kumhos. Why? Because the harder compound made it easier to produce a lot of wheelspin on corner exit, which wore down my tires just as much, despite the higher treadwear rating.

Here's a good description of the UTQG system from Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48
Old 01-14-2006, 05:05 PM
µ Leadership

Awesome man thanx