motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Retired

Default Rear camber adjustment question

So, I have some IE rear control arms coming, adjustable street, and was just going to put them on the lower spot. This will help me to adjust camber to be less negative since my car is lowered with H-sport springs...so save on tire wear.

My question is, in moving the lower arm in, making it shorter (by an alignment shop) will this also cause some toe out? Can the toe be adjusted even though I am only doing one of the control arms per side? Does only adjusting the lower control arm adjust camber?

My goal, I am not going to track the car anymore, I want just a fun weekend car, this is not my daily driver, but want to drive somewhat aggressive around town and in the mountains. So, I am looking for control, even tire wear, street driving, highways, etc. Planning on decreasing camber in the back to -1.75 with a touch of toe (1/16" or maybe even 1/8"), and will also have front adjustable camber plates.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Indigo View Post

My question is, in moving the lower arm in, making it shorter (by an alignment shop) will this also cause some toe out? Can the toe be adjusted even though I am only doing one of the control arms per side? Does only adjusting the lower control arm adjust camber?
...If it DID make you toe out...it would be VERY slight...and as far as adjusting toe....the UPPER rear control arms are the only way....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Retired

thanks...guess I will need to get some upper control arms now as well.

At least I will have a well dialed in car.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
μ

True true! I haven't even gotten as far as to get UPPER rear control arms yet....just the lowers.....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Retired

and you were able to adjust the camber with just the lowers?...but gave you a bit of toe out?

Wonder if I keep OEM lowers, and just replace the uppers....would increasing the length give me both less camber and a slight toe IN?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 PM
μ

Yeah the lower arms control camber...and in swaping the factory pieces for the adjustable aftermarket ones, there will me a unnoticable amount of negitive camber. In the case of the uppers, you will have full adjustment of toe, and a LITTLE bit of camber adjustment. If I where you Id say leave the upeer rear control arms....you said you weren't gonna track the car right? adusting toe either in or out will INCREASE your tire wear......
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Retired

ah, I see. So, all I want is less camber, to reduce tire wear in the back, with my H-sport springs, there is a ton of camber, and all I want to do is straighten the rims out. So, lower it is, thanks for all your help. Can't wait to get them in, new tires on, and enjoy the spring time
Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 PM
μ

I would think that if lowering the car added toe ( in or out ) because it added camber by changing the camber back to stock with the ajustable arms would also ajust toe...at least somewhat. Then the remaning toe ajustments can be done at the trailing arm.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Retired

LOL....took me a minute to figure out what you are talking about....scratches head trying to visualize the suspension moving and the trailing arm area....I think you might be right.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Back on up... upper control arms are not the only way to adjust toe. The factory method for adjusting toe is to loosen the bolts that locate the front of the trailing arm on the body. That's what that little door is for on the bottom of your side skirt. Two bolts are readily accessible, and one is directly through that door. Have the shop loosen the bolts just enough to be able to slide the front of the trailing arm laterally. Once they've adjusted to the settings you want, carefully tighten the bolts back down and you're done with toe.

My suggested settings for street use:

Front:
Toe: 1/16" toe-out (total)
Camber: -2 degrees

Rear:
Toe: 1/16" toe-in (total)
Camber: -1.75 degrees
Old 03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Retired

Thanks for the numbers. I am still about 1.5 to 2 months from getting my alignment and suspension bits in...but it is nice to know what I should be looking for. The numbers you listed seem realistic. Reading other threads on NAM, MINI2 etc....they all seem a bit more aggressive. I like the bit extra negative camber in the front, and less in the rear. Should help with cornering, but ultimately saving on tire wear.

My question is, why tow "out" on the front? Doesn't that make the car twitchy? I know it does help turn in, but just curious about the affects on the highway and 60-70mph speeds for long distance on rough highway roads up here in Colorado.