motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thank you very much Glnr13.
Sure I'll have a coil-over set as you say and I'll forget about that dilemna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glnr13 View Post
your dilemma is one that many have encountered and solved with a set of coilovers.

height adjustable and damping adjustable will end your questions.

unless you want to mix front and back spring sets but hard to find sold this way. i'd think that maybe a pair of m7 fronts with the any other rear will bring the front down a little bit. i dunno what the after effects of doing this would be. i'd imagine not so good for a balanced ride since they'll probably have untested pairings of spring rates.

as far as struts go bilsteins should work with most springs. or konis...
good luck on your quest
Old 04-27-2007, 05:27 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

The M7s and TSWs seem to be shaping up nicely on NAM. I think gnatster has the TSWs installed, hopefully he will chime in. Regarding Cross you can put them in the same price class as PSS9 but they are fully customizable when built, so a big bonus there.

Have you considered KW? V1 (no damping adjustability) can be had for around $1100 and the V2 (w/ damping adjustability) for around $1400ish.

I will probably do coilovers either towards the end of the summer or fall and currently am leaning towards the TSW or M7s. We'll see how they flesh out though.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

After a bit or research and some of the opinions round here. I think I'll have a set of coilover. I'd like the height of fj0's Mini, and s/he said that s/he's got a good handling so maybe that will be the option instead of the PSS9.
Still making up my mind and asking for advice to my wallet. Lol!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 PM
μ

I'm gonna be going to coil overs within the next year. In the mean time I have a line on a set of lightly used h-sports... for $100. Should I buy them?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
I'm gonna be going to coil overs within the next year. In the mean time I have a line on a set of lightly used h-sports... for $100. Should I buy them?
might as well....that price is pretty amazing. And when you get your coilovers....you would have no problem selling those springs for 100 or 75 bucks on NAM
Old 04-27-2007, 08:03 PM
μ

thanks for the advice... im gonna go ahead and scoop them up. I haven't swapped suspension stuff on the mini yet... can't be too hard I assume.... eerrrrrrr hope.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:38 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
thanks for the advice... im gonna go ahead and scoop them up. I haven't swapped suspension stuff on the mini yet... can't be too hard I assume.... eerrrrrrr hope.

If you need help. Mr.s S and I are down for wapping springs. We could prolly do it in a couple hours.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
ehhh on some cars it can be hard and on some easy.....its a good few hours no matter what
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark06mcs View Post
ok guys, this seems the thread to ask this: i need coilover selection help.

first off, priorities: a) performance [avid autocross junkie, sure i could smoke my STX competition with nice coilovers and decent tires] b) cost [i'm poor and have another project car in desparate need of an engine] c) stance [i want the car to be noticeably "low"]

current set-up: i've got the ever popular h-sports... (plus 22mm rear sway) the performance is good but i know it can be better. car looks alright, but isnt noticeably low and the back seems lower than the front. plus, lower is better, right?

options: there are the inexpensive ones (megan, bc, etc.) that had some reported problems. there are the inexpensive ones (h&r) that dont offer damper adjustability. there are the new ones (tsw, m7, cross) that are in the middle in price but don't have a lot of feedback out there. and then there are the really really nice ones (pss9) that are expensive as hell.

just like everyone else, i'd like to spend as little money as possible to get the best coilover i can get. i don't think i'm a person who would mess with their coilovers all the time- probably get it how i like it and leave it alone. i've had much more success (at the autocross) adjusting to the car rather than adjusting the car to me.

soooo... let me hear it guys.
bueller?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:43 PM
μ

if I was in the market for a good set of coil-overs I would probably look hard at the TSW's. Texas Speed Works seems to have their act together; they seem thorough with testing, they disclose the actual supplier (which I would have to support as they are Dutch ) and they don't seem to post any nonsense... I hope people keep posting their experience with TSW, M7, etc...

When/if I get an R56 I hope they have a set-up ready to go...

Thus far I've been pleased with the Koni coil-overs on my 05; no issues, firm ride, they can go lower than my cv-joints allow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark06mcs View Post
bueller?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
ehhh on some cars it can be hard and on some easy.....its a good few hours no matter what
European cars seem to be a pain...I watched our head mechanic at Skunk2 Dr. Charles install springs in a Scion xB in less then an hour. That was with jacks not a lift!

It's doable on the Mini, I've done 2 spring installs and a coilover install. Takes time but it can be done
Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 PM
μ

Well Ray it looks like your gonna be doing yet another spring install soon......well springs and damper that is........
Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Bring it!!!