motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTA2 View Post
We then had a few people that broke the links, which we had never seen before, and we figured out it was from a lowered car, and the links not being lengthened. We changed the instructions to reflect this, and any customer that had instructions with the wrong verbage, we gave them new rod ends. The few people that bought them and had bad instructions, please call us, and we will have something special for you!

From time to time someone would call with broken links, from not reading the instructions, and they were pretty frustrated. Since we had ZERO failures with the first type of link (and it didn't matter if they were the right length do to more rotation) we decided to go back to the other rod end. Its not rated still but the track record is perfect with them.

So we have been using the rod end as pictured above for about 8 months now, with no problems. Also we changed the color! If a customer has broken them or stripped them, and it was not from the installation of the part, we have taken care of them. If they never called us about the problem, we didn't take care of them! It sounds like a few people above might be in this situation. IF so please call, we are here to take care of you.

BTW, the only reason why they broke is that the rod end would run our of rotation. This only happened on lowered cars, where the relationship of the lower rod end wouldn't stay perpendicular to the swaybar mounting flange.

Problem fixed, and has been for quite some time.
I have snapped both the indy bolt link and the integrated bolt. You say there is no one that you know of doing this but I am one. BTW, my car was not lowered at the time of the failures. My car IS slammed now. I have called the reseller and you (alta) and was denied warranty due to IMPROPERLY ADJUSTING THEM. But, the instructions at the time did not tell you how to do this. I put them to factory lengths cause I was stock. How can you mess that up? Also, I am running a 27mm front sway and the bolt did not even clear the sway to engage the washer or nut. Have you fixed this problem yet? Not to say you guys suck...I am about to place an order for other items. But, I do not want to spend another $250 for another set of endlinks (4) or get "pro-rated" on the parts either. At the time...I had the links for 1 week before AMVIV (put them on the night before the drive up). During AMVIV I had to tighten them about 20 times (or every mile).....I'm sure you guys remember me.

^ CEO/PRESIDENT/EL JEFE ^
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I also need to put my alta upper/lower control arms on but I am worried I will have the same problems. But, as I am thinking about this there isn't the type of stress placed on these as the endlinks.

^ CEO/PRESIDENT/EL JEFE ^
Old 11-25-2006, 01:31 AM
μ

I installed the Powergrid endlinks today; it was a piece of cake to get them on the car but the final adjustments were a bit more difficult as it needs to happen with the wheels on and the car on the ground. Neutralizing the sway-bars was easy but the tightening everything was not - it's tricky getting 2 open-ended wrenches, operated by 2 hands & arms, 'in there'... not enough room and gravity keeps pulling those tools to terra firma

anyway, while I was under there I also backed off the rebound on the rear shocks (Konis unfortunately require removal to do this) as the front and rear were a little out of sync.

Seems the ride is more controlled and a bit smoother but it's hard to say if it's because of the rear shocks or the new end-links which removed the preload that was present on my car (lowered around 1.5"). Main reason I bought these is the adjustability but more importantly the added strength and quality. The stock items just look so wimpy. Even though these endlinks don't look as sexy as the Alta's or Promini's they may last longer...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:36 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

awww the one thing i'm sad to see on those is that they appear to use the same tightening method as stock...am i seeing things correctly?

But they do look like good quality parts
Old 11-25-2006, 02:16 AM
μ

I got these based on reading about problems with most of the other endlinks available for our cars. Not sure if the standard attachment method to the bar will be an issue or not, we'll see...

Old 11-25-2006, 03:01 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
I got these based on reading about problems with most of the other endlinks available for our cars. Not sure if the standard attachment method to the bar will be an issue or not, we'll see...

That's actually just a personal issue for me.....it causes me a lot of problems when I'm installing coilovers or swaybars. It's not an actual problem with the part etc.

Could you comment on the method of tightening during installation? Is it the same on these as it was on the OEM?
Old 11-25-2006, 03:06 AM
μ

exactly the same... a 5 mm allen and 17 mm wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Could you comment on the method of tightening during installation? Is it the same on these as it was on the OEM?

Old 12-04-2006, 05:25 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I have been running the Texas Speedwerks end links for 2 months now including one Driver's Edge event and have had no problems with them.

And yes I would by them again from Texas Speedwerks.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Leadership

Any opinions on the other endlinks available out there?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

So the alta endlinks that failed were the older design not the new ones in the pic on page 2?

I might pull the trigger on these soon, I do like how they don't use the pain in the ass tightening method like the stock ones.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
μ

Are these the older version or the improved newer version of Alta's links?

TIA!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 PM
μ

.......looks like the older version!........<shrug>
Old 03-01-2007, 11:33 PM
μ

Emailed Alta:

Quote:
The rods are the same between the v 1 and v 2 other than color. The rod ends and instructions have both been changed on the grey and red versions to update them to the newer specs
I'll be ordering a set soon.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Retired

I've been on my oem end links for, well, since I have had the car. I have had the car lowered for about 3 years now, both with coilovers and H-sport springs....and plenty of track days and hard use. Never had a problem with the OEM links. One day, I may switch, but until I can actually snap one of my OEM ones, I am not going to worry about it.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:41 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez View Post
I'm focusing more on the suspension first on my MCS...so far I have the Megan coilovers, Sparco front strut bar, Progress 22mm rear sway (not yet installed) and I am planning on getting Ireland rear control arms and a good alignment...

Next I'm thinking of a good set of strong adjustable endlinks up front and in the back. Anyone know of some companies that make them for the Mini?

just a fair warning.. my altas didnt work with the madness rear sway the bar was too thick. it could have just been my bar though, my buddy keith had the same size and the part that bolts through was skinnier.. so who knows. other than that they are good.