motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Suspension Guide Discussion

This thread is for discussion of the Suspension Guide sticky. Please keep all discussion of that thread in here.
http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ead.php?t=5278

damn... they all look sexy as hell!

Last edited by simplygriff; 04-21-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Added link to Suspension Guide. :)
Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

There looks to be a fair amount of people opting for springs only.

With my '05 TL, I was told by members of a few Acura boards, that in the long run, it is not the best idea to be using 'new' springs with a 'stock' suspension, regardless of what you're driving. The reasons I was getting was because the stock equipment isn't optimized to drop as far as a new spring and that it just cause more wear and tear. Since my TL was a lease, I didn't want to risk damaging the car, so I ran the stock suspension.

Is the info I heard? Can anyone elaborate on why springs alone (other than being less expensive) would be the way to go over coil-overs?

I'm new when it comes to suspension mods, so please bear with me.

Thanks!
________
Sikhism advice

Last edited by erok72; 05-03-2011 at 02:59 AM..
Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by erok72 View Post
There looks to be a fair amount of people opting for springs only.
Were opting for springs only. A ton of people have since upgraded to coilovers of some kind or another.

I think it all depends on how much drop you want. Many people are happy with a simple spring drop. Easy to do, cheap, looks good enough, doesn't really do any damage that's not being done already. The kicker is the limits there. You have a set ride height and can't alter it if you change wheel sizes, tire sizes etc. Coils are more expensive but offer way more versatility. In the future, I know I will save up the money and go with coils the first time so as to not waste money, time and effort with a spring drop only to change out later.
-G

Last edited by simplygriff; 04-21-2009 at 05:30 PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

A shock (any shock) is designed to work with a certain range of spring rates.

A stock shock is designed to work with the stock spring rates.

Lowering springs are generally higher rate (stiffer) than stock springs.

So, you put a lowering spring on a stock shock and the spring rate is probably not optimal for the shock. This will lead to accelerated wear on the shock, and possibly impact the handling negatively.

But, a set of springs is a lot cheaper than a set of coilovers, or a set of springs and upgraded shocks - like Koni Yellows.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Yeah, as soon as I have the chance (saving for a honey moon at this point), I'm getting either M7 or KW V2 CO's. Leaning toward M7, but we'll see.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI View Post

Lowering springs are generally higher rate (stiffer) than stock springs.

So, you put a lowering spring on a stock shock and the spring rate is probably not optimal for the shock. This will lead to accelerated wear on the shock, and possibly impact the handling negatively.
I thought higher rates were better, since they carry more weight. Or is it a difference between linear and progressive?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieMini View Post
I thought higher rates were better, since they carry more weight. Or is it a difference between linear and progressive?
Optimal rates are better. In theory you could have springs with astronomically high rates that would act as riding on no suspension at all. The idea is to match dampers to springs to car.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 PM
μ

I would think the progressive rate springs would cause more wear since the compression rate of the first coils is softer than the middle coils. That's why the cars ride better on lowered springs than OEM, which causes a lot more action/movement of the factory damper.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Optimal rates are better. In theory you could have springs with astronomically high rates that would act as riding on no suspension at all. The idea is to match dampers to springs to car.
Right. That's what I was ultimately trying to get at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIGARGUY View Post
I would think the progressive rate springs would cause more wear since the compression rate of the first coils is softer than the middle coils. That's why the cars ride better on lowered springs than OEM, which causes a lot more action/movement of the factory damper.
Yep.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to mac_mcs

What setup is more comfortable? I want to lower some. I don't need to slam it for I do a lot of driving on and off road., but I would like to lower some comfortably. Anything that is more comfortable than stock.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:55 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mcs View Post
What setup is more comfortable? I want to lower some. I don't need to slam it for I do a lot of driving on and off road., but I would like to lower some comfortably. Anything that is more comfortable than stock.
Which setups are you looking at?

That will make it easier for us to judge.

The more aggressive lowering springs (1"+) tend to be rather harsh as you begin to hit the bump stops. People report that the more subtle drop springs (around .5") are still comfortable without hitting the bumpstops.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:20 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

all lowering springs are rated higher than stock and reduce travel so i can't think of any that are truly more comfortable than stock. non run flat 16" and 15" tires will help a lot in the comfort department.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

DG has put together a pretty damn good site on suspension, shocks, valving, reading shock dynoes, what shocks to buy, what not to buy and why...

I'd like for anyone ready to pull the trigger on that shiny new coilover set to give this a read or two before spending their hard earned cash.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html

Continue on from this page.

Tt isn't for light reading...but honestly, if you're only ready to devote 5 seconds into choosing parts for your suspension, then you're in the wrong thread anyway.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

lowering your car in any way causes accelerated wear unless significant preemptive modifying is followed. While results may vary you will definately see excellerated wear. Srings are not really the safest in that department.. but definately better than slamming the ride on coils. A good set up coils on a 1-1.5" drop with some adjustable sway endlinks and control arms for a good stock aligntment will probably be the safest bet if you worried about things wearing out.

when you upgrade suspension you REALLY should upgrade the system of a whole. The stock suspension was engineered to work well together and when you change that system you must bring the balance back. That being said you can change stuff and you might not ever see anything wear out... but you are risking it. I'd say a lot of peole really dont care about the wear and tear, but if you are... make sure you do it right and spend the $$ Theres no cheap solution without some kind of drawback

omgzz
Old 12-15-2010, 04:21 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

that is a great write up along with all the accompanying articles that break down suspension. thanks for sharing