motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Safety & Race Preparation Roll cages, harnesses, seats, weight reduction, etc. Anything pertaining to taking your car to the highest level of performance.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Safety & Race Preparation

Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default OMP Hub/Aftermarket Steering Wheel, Now, A How-To

Hi, guys! I've been searching high & low for a clear & detailed steering wheel swap DIY to not much avail. Any help w/ pics on resistor, horn & retention of turn indicator canceling would be so much appreciated.

I've an 02 R53 w/ the 2 spoke MFSW.
Ready to go in are an OMP Hub w/ 1 fused resistor + an old school Luisi wheel w/ horn button (1 plug terminal for + & 1 spring wire that helps press fit tight into the boss kit as ground). Since Luisi & OMP don't share same allen bolt PCD, I also have an adapter ready.

I've seen the 2 spoke non MFSW removal. Questions are:
1. There are 2 airbag plugs-green & black. OMP only has 1 resistor. This goes to the green & leave the black w/o any resistor like in this thread?

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f22/...-wiring-27240/
[b]Answer: both green & black connectors should have its own resistor, get a 3.9ohm 1 for the black[/B].

2. Is there any drilling on the OMP hub to accommodate turn signal canceling retention? Or should I just cut that white plastic protruding stub that obstructs when the hub sits? Would this disable the turn indicator cancel if & when I opt to return to stock?
Answer: Don,t cut the stub, instead, superimpose the stock wheel's hole onto the new hub & drill a hole to fit the stub using a 5/16" bit. This way, the wires/connectors will turn w/ your wheel & retain the auto cancel.

3. Do I have to cut off the stock horn plug & connect to the new wheel?
Answer: Yes, unless you have a similar spare 4 pin connector w/ 2 wires, 1 in 1st pin, 1 in 4th pin. Brown is from relay, white is ground.

4. Any chance of having the radio & cruise buttons transferred to work?
This 1, I didn't tackle yet. It's been done, I've seen others relocate them onto the dash like Nathan's over @ motoring alliance.

As advised by RKDE: Remember to disconnect the batt the entire process as a safety precaution. When unsure of resistors, remove footwell fuse F18. This will trigger the SRS light, but won't store error codes. Once you're sure you've the right 3.9ohm resistors in ( NOT 3.9k), putting F18 back should turn light off.

To those who might want this swap, hope this helps. Sorry, I've very poor shooting skills, pics might confuse more than help.
Credits & thanks to rkde for detailed help, professor for the hub, & those who responded to my queries!
Merry Christmas, all!

Last edited by minsanity; 12-25-2012 at 03:03 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks & Hats off to rkde for some very detailed & enlightening guidance. We all know how deep into his epic build he is, yet he spared precious time to play Santa for my Christmas wish! My most sincere appreciation. Here is a crappy iPhone pic. Merry Christmas, m|u!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Old Wheel.jpg (33.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm going to toss this in here for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsanity View Post

1. Disconnected the battery after positioning the wheel to take the torx key.
2. Loosened the airbag module, removed the F18 SRS fuse & reconnected the battery.
3. Started the engine to turn steering back to alignment, airbag still connected.....Oh Dear, airbag light ON!( This was when I didn't read rkde's email about fuse removal & light yet. ). I thought, that was the point of no return, might as well finish the swap than just fiddle & explore. LIGHT is ON now, anyway.:-(
4. Disconnected the battery again, removed the module & the stock 2-spoke MFSW.
5. Measured the hole for the locator key from the center & transposed it to the MINI-specific OMP hub.
6. Drilled a 5/16 hole on the back bottom of the hub to avoid cutting that white plastic protrusion.
7. HORN:
Cut off the 4pin connector w/ the brown & white wires from the stock wheel.
8. Soldered 2 long wires to both the white & brown. the brown went to the center while the white was the ground that I soldered to a washer of the hub since my horn uses the spring lick as the ground. You have an OMP horn w/ 2 terminals, so you don't have to solder it to any ground washer.
9. Reconnected the battery. Checked the horn, worked great!
10. Installed the hub, plugged in the OMP resistor on the green, & a similar rated resistor on the black. For some reason, my OMP resistor just read 2.1ohms. It was lower than 3.9ohms. This was my ERROR, but I thought I already ruined it by triggering the light after fuse removal. Sigh!
11. Put back the fuse ( another ERROR made here), reconnected the battery, tightened everything up.
12. Went for a test drive. Horn, signal cancel worked perfect. Just that LIGHT.
13. Checked email. rkde had more detailed instructions about doing the swap w/o the fuse, regardless of throwing the light. It just means the SRS & BCU couldn't communicate.
14. Went back to the car to just take the F18 fuse out again.
15. Had a great family dinner.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks, Take2. A wonderful Christmas, all!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

keeping it wheel, oldschool.....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'll on the look out for some classic Nardis.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsanity View Post

I'll on the look out for some classic Nardis.
I had this Nardi, but I had to use an adapter since the bolt pattern was different then my momo hub.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

MOMO, Sparco, and Omp wheels use a 2.75 inch 6-bolt pattern. Nardi, Personal, Dino, Raid and others use a 2.875 inch bolt pattern.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
µ Leadership

I love that wheel
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedsix View Post
MOMO, Sparco, and Omp wheels use a 2.75 inch 6-bolt pattern. Nardi, Personal, Dino, Raid and others use a 2.875 inch bolt pattern.
I found that out when I checked the Luisi w/ the OMP hub. Had a spare universal alloy hub machined into a 6mm thick adapter/spacer so I can use any of the above wheel brands you mentioned, too.

Chase, buddy's wheel swap thread was helpful, thanks. Wished you finished up w/ some blow by blow pics.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM
μ

Send a message via MSN to ducks

Luisi sells a hub for the mini that will fit both PCD's
Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I've searched for that to no avail, Ducks. Perhaps you could provide a link for those who might plan on swapping. AFIK, OMP, Worksbell have MINI specific hubs w/ the airbag tricking fused resistors in their kits. I believe Sparco had but discontinued. Maybe MOMO has, too? Not sure if PN2012 is correct.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 AM
μ

Only place that I know have them is http://www.minispeed.nl/product.php?...cat=37&model=2. I got it from them. Seen a few floating on german Ebay as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for sharing, Ducks! Looks identical to the OMP, but 2 sets of holes. Wondering why they come w/ just 1 resistor. They have to provide 2.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:48 AM
μ

Worked fine with just one.